The Radio, Electrician, and Lineman's Knife

The electrician and lineman's knife.There are a plethora of this category of knives out there as quite a few were made at the advent of the electrical age. Some quite utilitarian and others with flare. Let us bring as many variations into the light as possible

8058194790_bd0148766a_b.jpg

Last edited:

This is a one of a kind special order built by George "Steve" Copeland. It was done in 2006. 44C, thuya burl scales. Stripper is by guage. Electric Jack pattern, wharncliff blade.

I wish I knew more; I picked it up because of the wharncliff blade (which I like), because it's unusual (which I have a weakness for), and becaus it's a darn nice knife. I have a number of custom slipjoints, but this is eceptionally well done. I've never seen another by this maker.

I can fnd TL-29's every day around here; I think it's because of the neighborhood (close to Ft Lewis), so they don't normally interest me; but this one did.

Last edited:
I`ve said it before and I say it again. I like the TL-29 a lot. But I have yet to find one for the right price. I think for my line of work (engineer) it`d be pretty useful.

Here is a german Richartz electricians knife.

IMG_0011.jpg

I`ve said it before and I say it again. I like the TL-29 a lot. But I have yet to find one for the right price. I think for my line of work (engineer) it`d be pretty useful.

E-mail me your shipping address and I'll send you this less-than-pristine Camillus. I haven't shipped anything to Norway yet. No matter what you do with it, you won't need to feel bad about it.

DSCF1441.jpg

DSCF1442.jpg

DSCF1443.jpg

E-mail me your shipping address and I'll send you this less-than-pristine Camillus. I haven't shipped anything to Norway yet. No matter what you do with it, you won't need to feel bad about it.

Seriously? Thank you so much! Man that one looks fine, a bit of spit`n`shine and that will look great. Email is on the way. Be sure to write your adress as well, so I can send something back one day.

-Lars

Last edited:
Off to a great start!! Perfection... yablanowitz

The Richartz is very cool, Art

That one sure has flare, Eisman

Please do, Dan

Old Schrade, no bail. Odd shield stamping
IMG_2515_edited-1.jpg

Regular shield old Schrade
SchradeTL29.jpg

More Cami's
CamillusTL29Group.jpg

Craftsman
OldSchrades-1.jpg

As close as Buck has made to a dedicated electricans knife. Model 813. Tip broken. Main marked Grainger, missing bail. Discontinued
813B.jpg

Also in two blade version.
813C.jpg

Last edited:
Eisman that is a great looking knife! Are the serrations on the screwdriver blade actually correctly sized wire strippers? Any more info? Thanks
Edit - Sorry Eisman - just looked at your post on my PC and not my phone and saw all the info you included - darn phone! Thanks and gorgeous knife - doesn't look like Steve is doing a whole lot of work these days - what a shame - thanks for posting a spectacular piece!

Last edited:
Camillus TL-29 c.1941-1949
AB4A7F99-D863-4714-82F9-E8ADED97A8F9-935-0000008CB0F14B9D.jpg

Camillus TL-29 c.1960-1976
54677A64-EAB7-4AE4-9016-5CCF9F61774F-935-0000008CBD8A1D0B.jpg

Not sure if this one counts? It's a Imperial Prov. R.I. c.1956-1988
5066D3BF-DB43-4FC9-A396-BC5C97BFFA88-935-0000008CC737F2B6.jpg

Art I'm sorry you can't find one at a decent price, I will keep an eye out for you, next one I find is yours, I paid $5 each for the Camillus & $1 for the Imperial.
Pete

Here are the current offerings from Ideal:

35-285.jpg 35-286.jpg 35-287.jpg

Electrician's Knife, Hawkbill Knife, and Lineman's Jack Knife.

Attachments

• linemans_jack_knife.gif
    linemans_jack_knife.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 470
heres mine a 4 line camillus, with the cs34 pouch, the pliers are to open the screwdriver/stripper blade! the definition of a ridiculous nail breaker and a kutmaster miracle power tl29
regards
gene

cami.jpg

ELEC.jpg

Last edited:
Nice custom "Copeland" Eisman!
Custom Electrician's knives are indeed rare. I am lucky enough to have this nice one, which is compared to an old one, likely made by Empire.
KenElec7.jpg

Heres a few Camillus made knives

A 60s model with black composition handles, a couple WW2 era with steel liners, one in walnut and one in bone, and a couple smaller radio knives, a two blade in ebony and a single blade locking screwdriver in cocobolo

IMGP8531.jpg

IMGP8359.jpg

IMGP8224.jpg

IMGP8156.jpg

My favorite pattern and the only pattern I care to carry at this time- it's just so darn useful to have a screwdriver blade.

IMG_4383Medium.jpg

Left to right:

Schrade, Cattaraugus, Wostenholm, Ulster, Some guy named Ken, Schrade, Challenge Cutlery.

The ones on the left are liner locks, the ones to the right of the Wostenholm are "press main blade to unlock" types.

Last edited:
My favorite pattern and the only pattern I care to carry at this time- it's just so darn useful to have a screwdriver blade.

IMG_4382Medium.jpg

Left to right:

Schrade, Cattaraugus, Wostenholm, Ulster, Some guy named Ken, Schrade, Challenge Cutlery.

The ones on the left are liner locks, the ones to the right of the Wostenholm are "press main blade to unlock" types.

So you're the one that snagged that Ken Erickson custom... I was blaming that guy way up North. ;)

Really nice collections, guys!

Here are a few electrician and radio tool knives. The third from the left is a Klein with a wrench on one end. I have a few of the Klein wrench knives with different combinations of blades and handle materials. One has a folding crate opener instead of a wrench. The fourth from the left is a Schrade Cut Co. The screwdriver unlocks by pressing down on the knife blade. The next three are radio tools from Morley, Remington and Robeson. The Remington has a button to unlock the screwdriver. The Robeson has an alligator wrench and an old time screwdriver.

electrician-size-comparison-1.jpg

schrade-electrician-1.jpg

schrade-electrician-3a.jpg

Back