The epitome of every day carry

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
Hopefully this video is okay to post here since most of it doesn't belong here.
Skip to about 17 minutes in and you'll see a very well loved dark red bone Case canoe that has been in this mans pocket every single day for at least 65 years.

I don't really have a ton of knives but I certainly have too many to ever have one particular knife in my pocket for 65 years, not that I'm likely to have 65 years left in me anyways.

I love seeing a knife that's been such a faithful companion to somebody for so long, the longest I've ever made it with 1 knife was 2 years.

I have far too many knives to ever just choose one for the next 65 years (which I doubt I will make anyways lol) but I enjoyed the video!
That Case has some stories to tell! I hope whoever ends up with it down the road knows the back story and doesn’t just throw it away.

At 67, I seriously doubt I'll witness another 65 years. (then again, I never expected to witness 54 years above the grass in the sun, rain, snow, sleet ... Maybe I'll be mistaken again? As long as I don't lose all my marbles along the way, I guess seeing 132 or 133 wouldn't be so bad ... maybe ....)
At this time, I expect there will be a SAK Mini Champ (maybe not the same one) and a Leatherman Charge+ TTI on me the rest of my days and nights.
IF my will is followed, they will be in my pocket and on my belt (along with a few others ... A large stockman, Buck 110, Barlow, another SAK or two ... some archery bows, arrows, Thompson Center .54 caliber big bore muzzleloader and everything needed to shoot and care for it ... ) when they close the box and plant me.
The knives and archery bows I'm not taking with me should supply/last at least a couple generations that are yet to arrive, presuming they are not lost/misplaced. 😇

Last edited:
This wont hit 65 years of being my pocket everyday but it was the only knife I carried from 1990 to 2018. It was the first knife I ever bought, the one my grandfather taught me how to sharpen, the one he taught me to carve a rose with and the one he always wanted to test the edge on the moment I walked in the door. It still sees some pocket time every now and again but is mostly retired. The memories it holds are far to valuable.
lOciiOg.jpg

0xR1Eny.jpg

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me anybody who can carry one knife that long and only own the one pocket knife in that time is probably not all that into knives.
At least they're not likely a knife nut, a pocket knife is just an important useful tool so they have one.

Theres a lot of joy and fun in being a knife nut, but theres a lot of complication and at times frustration in it as well.
I don't think I'd ever go back, but I do kind of miss the days when I wasn't worried about what knife I was going to carry next.
Not being overstimulated by all the choices I had was nice.

I just scrolled forward to watch the final minute or two of the video. We’ll worth it. Now that’s a pocket worn canoe.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me anybody who can carry one knife that long and only own the one pocket knife in that time is probably not all that into knives.
At least they're not likely a knife nut, a pocket knife is just an important useful tool so they have one.
I don’t know - I have liked knives from a very young age (although until recently never owned more than a handful at a time), and there have been long periods when I have very little recollection of what knives I carried any more than I remember what belt or wallet I had.

There are memorable events in my life when I know I had a knife on me, but have no idea what exactly, and I have knives I know I carried for long periods but just faintly remember having done so. There are other knives which I remember clearly and which played important roles in memorable life events.

That knife couldn't have been in his pockets for 65 years. Case XX USA didn't come out until 1965. That puts the knife at 57 years old Maximum 😳
He probably just doesn’t remember clearly - see my comment above.

That knife couldn't have been in his pockets for 65 years. Case XX USA didn't come out until 1965. That puts the knife at 57 years old Maximum 😳
I was a bit skeptical of the exact number , but you can see he's definitely had the knife for a long time so I figured his math was just a bit off.

Theres a lot of joy and fun in being a knife nut, but theres a lot of complication and at times frustration in it as well.
I don't think I'd ever go back, but I do kind of miss the days when I wasn't worried about what knife I was going to carry next.
Not being overstimulated by all the choices I had was nice.
As you say, I think part of the equation is due to the huge number of choices and global access we now have … back in the day when grandpa walked into the general store, he picked up a stockman and dropped it in his pocket - and that was his knife … it was a tool, and until it wore out or broke, that was likely the only pocket knife he had.
Fast forward to today, and we can easily suffer from paralysis by analysis … so … many … choices …
And clearly many of us are blessed with the luxury of being able to “collect” … not so commonplace back in the day …

Acquired in the early 1980s, before I got interested in producing knives (HJs, TCs etc.), this
rescued, blade-deleted, Greenbone, Case XX served me well for many years!
It was probably a 6345 Cattle knife before it became a "6145 Jack"!! :cool:
It had many years of good service remaining if maintained well!!
6145.jpg6145B.jpg

This "Wabi Sabi" Greenbone 6347 also spent several years in my pocket, cracked bone and all! Very useful with it's three blade but thin configuration, it was a joy to use while my safe queens languished, of course! This, and the previous Case I posted sure proved the worth of Case knives, from the old school!!😋!!
They both sharpened easily and well!!
Old Greeny.jpg

Yeah, this was me. I carried the same Gerber Silver Knight everyday for almost 40 years. I had a few other odd folding knives, utility knives, SAKs and such hanging around in toolboxes, on work benches and in the glove box, but I certainly wasn't "into knives". It was when the time came to replace the trusty Gerber that I discovered the knife world (and haven't looked back). Nowadays, I generally carry 2 knives, one that rotates out weekly (or when I get a new one) and another that tends to stay for months on end. I really can't picture carrying a single knife for longer than that.

I still got the Silver Knight, but it never goes in the pocket for fear of losing it. Getting sentimental in my old age...
zMBymM4l.jpg

Mark

Back