The Fiddleback Duke Vs The KA-BAR

Alright, since "The Big Deal" has clearly stated in another thread, that I should buy another knife this year. I got to thinking. What do I need in a Knife??

The honest answer is, I don't need anything.
I have enough knives. So I have decided for the good of the group. To lie to myself.

Moving past that little detail.

Andy has mentioned several times, that when he was younger, he had a passion for and relied on the KA-BAR. He said he did everything with that knife and a pen knife.

The Duke I have read, was designed and implemented to be a direct replacement for his KA-BAR. With everthing uprated. I don't think I need to talk about Andy's fit and finish. It speaks for itself.

I make no secret of the fact, I am a fan of the KA-BAR.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/dogs-head-utility-the-first-thirty-days.1300572/

In fact I'm a huge fan. It is a very capable knife. It gets pigeon holed as a fighting knife because of its fighting prowess on islands like Iwo and Tarawa.

But the truth is, it is a great camp knife, woods knife, and general purpose large blade. It's reasonably priced, well built, and has a loyal following. Including Andy and myself.

So what breaks the Duke out?
What & Where does it excel at?

How exactly does it compare size wise?
Pictures would be way cool here.

Where is the Balance point?

Can I beat on the pommel?

Is the Duke really KA-BAR tough?
Can I stab it into a 55 gallon drum of JP4/avtag?

Will it crack a coconut?

Has anyone done a test?

The KA-BAR certainly isn't perfect. And I believe it can be improved upon. But I want more info.

If I'm going to plop down my Wife's hard earned Christmas Money to make "Big Deal" happy.

I want the facts. I want the Truth!
I can Handle the Truth!

I'm thinking the Pro Duke Model would be a good place to start. Because my KA-BAR doesn't have an easy life. But I'm open.

If I suddenly found myself lost in the woods (Can you find yourself if you're lost?)
If I did, would I love a Duke like I love my KA-BAR??

Pictures, dirt, camp stories, comparison shots, feedback, and outright lies accepted.

What do you all have to share?

Last edited:
I'm just guessing here. But I'm willing to bet. The Duke may be paying homage to the actor that played Marine Sargent Stryker in the Sands of Iwo Jima. If so, a very cool and fitting name bestowed upon a proper KA-BAR replacement.

Will the Duke get it done for me?

Does it come with Twine?
IMG_4316-XL.jpg

Will it chop?
IMG_4279-XL.jpg

Can I baton the crap out of it?
IMG_4520-XL.jpg

Will it prep fires?
IMG_4452-XL.jpg

Can it cook?
IMG_4422-XL.jpg

Great idea. As you said I am a big fan of the Kabar USMC knife. I had two as a boy, and those knives saw a beating. What I need is some skin in the game. So, we are sending you one to do a comparison. The test piece is used but not abused. Phillip will get it out today or tomorrow.

NOW, one thing my knives are not designed to do is hammer. The Kabar has an edge there as a beater knife. IMO mine has the edge in overall strength (full tang) and in quality and dependability of materials (canvas micarta and CPM S35VN).

Subscribed. If I were to get a fiddleback right now, the Duke is what I would be after (probably a production). Or the machete... maybe both after discovering how fast the grass grows to chest-high heights in the Michigan wetlands.

To answer one question, I don't think the butt of the duke would be good for hammering on anything. Wrong angle, and doesn't have a metal or reinforced end cap.

Seriously,

Will the Duke rock my world like my KA-BAR?

We would need to count on each other,
IMG_4371-XL.jpg

No giving up and going back to the "Spa"
IMG_4391-XL.jpg

The Duke isn't a Vegan Is it?
IMG_4345-XL.jpg

It will need to produce,
IMG_4557-XL.jpg

And it better like beer!
IMG_4348-XL.jpg

If it can do all that?
It will be treated well in return and well cared for!
IMG_4542-XL.jpg

Phillip makes good sense.

His Duke wiill return drunk, scratched, dirty, and smelling of woodsmoke. And that's if things go good.
sounds good

plus....if something goes haywire I can make another on on my schedule, which i know for sure is going to be way more laid back than a customer knife getting jacked up

I've beaten on my Pro-Duke's for over a year, and nothing on your list above will phase the SV35N. A2/O1 the same but require a wipe down after use to avoid rust, yet will patina shortly to avoid rust altogether. Thought it was too big before I bought it and am now thinking about the Camp Knife.

I've beaten on my Pro-Duke's for over a year, and nothing on your list above will phase the SV35N. A2/O1 the same but require a wipe down after use to avoid rust, yet will patina shortly to avoid rust altogether. Thought it was too big before I bought it and am now thinking about the Camp Knife.

That's called Tim Taylor Syndrome.
Bigger is always better,

More Power!

Back