1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Fiddleback Duke Vs The KA-BAR

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by LostViking, Aug 7, 2018.

1. LostViking

LostViking Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Alright, since "The Big Deal" has clearly stated in another thread, that I should buy another knife this year. I got to thinking. What do I need in a Knife??

The honest answer is, I don't need anything.
    I have enough knives. So I have decided for the good of the group. To lie to myself.

Moving past that little detail.

Andy has mentioned several times, that when he was younger, he had a passion for and relied on the KA-BAR. He said he did everything with that knife and a pen knife.

The Duke I have read, was designed and implemented to be a direct replacement for his KA-BAR. With everthing uprated. I don't think I need to talk about Andy's fit and finish. It speaks for itself.

I make no secret of the fact, I am a fan of the KA-BAR.
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/dogs-head-utility-the-first-thirty-days.1300572/

In fact I'm a huge fan. It is a very capable knife. It gets pigeon holed as a fighting knife because of its fighting prowess on islands like Iwo and Tarawa.

But the truth is, it is a great camp knife, woods knife, and general purpose large blade. It's reasonably priced, well built, and has a loyal following. Including Andy and myself.

So what breaks the Duke out?
    What & Where does it excel at?

How exactly does it compare size wise?
    Pictures would be way cool here.

Where is the Balance point?

Can I beat on the pommel?

Is the Duke really KA-BAR tough?
    Can I stab it into a 55 gallon drum of JP4/avtag?

Will it crack a coconut?

Has anyone done a test?

The KA-BAR certainly isn't perfect. And I believe it can be improved upon. But I want more info.

If I'm going to plop down my Wife's hard earned Christmas Money to make "Big Deal" happy.

I want the facts. I want the Truth!
    I can Handle the Truth!

I'm thinking the Pro Duke Model would be a good place to start. Because my KA-BAR doesn't have an easy life. But I'm open.

If I suddenly found myself lost in the woods (Can you find yourself if you're lost?)
    If I did, would I love a Duke like I love my KA-BAR??

Pictures, dirt, camp stories, comparison shots, feedback, and outright lies accepted.

What do you all have to share?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Mr. Tettnanger and Nbrackett like this.
  2. LostViking

Jan 1, 2009
    I'm just guessing here. But I'm willing to bet. The Duke may be paying homage to the actor that played Marine Sargent Stryker in the Sands of Iwo Jima. If so, a very cool and fitting name bestowed upon a proper KA-BAR replacement.

Will the Duke get it done for me?

Does it come with Twine?
    [​IMG]

Will it chop?
    [​IMG]

Can I baton the crap out of it?
    [​IMG]

Will it prep fires?
    [​IMG]

Can it cook?
    [​IMG]

Kal-El, MTBmonkey, Nbrackett and 5 others like this.
  3. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator

Oct 19, 2005
    Great idea. As you said I am a big fan of the Kabar USMC knife. I had two as a boy, and those knives saw a beating. What I need is some skin in the game. So, we are sending you one to do a comparison. The test piece is used but not abused. Phillip will get it out today or tomorrow.

NOW, one thing my knives are not designed to do is hammer. The Kabar has an edge there as a beater knife. IMO mine has the edge in overall strength (full tang) and in quality and dependability of materials (canvas micarta and CPM S35VN).

jll346, MTBmonkey, Nbrackett and 3 others like this.
  4. bikerector

bikerector Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Subscribed. If I were to get a fiddleback right now, the Duke is what I would be after (probably a production). Or the machete... maybe both after discovering how fast the grass grows to chest-high heights in the Michigan wetlands.

To answer one question, I don't think the butt of the duke would be good for hammering on anything. Wrong angle, and doesn't have a metal or reinforced end cap.

LostViking likes this.
  5. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    Yea, you'll need one the the 16" machetes for that tall grass. Its a beast on the shrubery too. Keeps the neighbors away...

wildmanh, LostViking and bikerector like this.
  6. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    LostViking likes this.
  7. LostViking

Jan 1, 2009
    Seriously,

Will the Duke rock my world like my KA-BAR?

We would need to count on each other,
    [​IMG]

No giving up and going back to the "Spa"
    [​IMG]

The Duke isn't a Vegan Is it?
    [​IMG]

It will need to produce,
    [​IMG]

And it better like beer!
    [​IMG]

If it can do all that?
    It will be treated well in return and well cared for!
    [​IMG]

8. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    I can send you my pro-Duke if you want

Mr. Tettnanger and LostViking like this.
  9. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    BDB
    let me send this one.....if something happens i can always make me a new one

Mr. Tettnanger, Odaon and LostViking like this.
  10. LostViking

Jan 1, 2009
    Phillip makes good sense.

His Duke wiill return drunk, scratched, dirty, and smelling of woodsmoke. And that's if things go good.

11. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Bobs is already all that and more. :eek: The things he does to his knives. :(

LostViking, Luca917 and MTBmonkey like this.
  12. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    sounds good

plus....if something goes haywire I can make another on on my schedule, which i know for sure is going to be way more laid back than a customer knife getting jacked up

LostViking likes this.
  13. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    My dog ate mine, I need another one

LostViking likes this.
  14. Panthera tigris

Panthera tigris Apex Predator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 21, 2012
    Steve's Duke

[​IMG]

15. ndmiller

ndmiller Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 30, 2015
    I've beaten on my Pro-Duke's for over a year, and nothing on your list above will phase the SV35N. A2/O1 the same but require a wipe down after use to avoid rust, yet will patina shortly to avoid rust altogether. Thought it was too big before I bought it and am now thinking about the Camp Knife.

16. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    LostViking and Bmurray like this.
  17. LostViking

Jan 1, 2009

That's called Tim Taylor Syndrome.
    Bigger is always better,

More Power!

VANCE likes this.
  18. theobetts

theobetts

Nov 4, 2004
    LostViking
    Looking forward to your thoughts on the Duke!
    Very nice of the Fiddleback crew to send you one to try.

19. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    No. The camp knife is individualy excellent...

LostViking likes this.
  20. ndmiller

ndmiller Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Work has been a killer lately (who am I to complain eh?). Duke threads seem to draw me out, though, got to get into the woods some before October. All packed for Trackrock though, but need some stabby, fire building, drinking, falling, and tent setup/takedown practice before.

LostViking, NOLA and VANCE like this.