The Flea Market Mung Absolution Thread

The pattern is full.
yeah
if you try to take a scandi & make it convex, it would change the profile of the blade,
The first thing you would want to do is grind the edge off. That will shorten the blade height just to get started.

Someone needs to grab that Osage EDKarda quickly. Not my favorite model but that's a great looking knife at a good price.

Hope this qualifies as mung....

If I have a production/Midtech Bushfinger can I post it for sale in the Fiddleback Flea Market
or do I need to post it in the general blade forums production fixed blade section?

P.S. it has the added/aftermarket blue liners so its kinda unique.

Hope this qualifies as mung....

If I have a production/Midtech Bushfinger can I post it for sale in the Fiddleback Flea Market
or do I need to post it in the general blade forums production fixed blade section?

P.S. it has the added/aftermarket blue liners so its kinda unique.
it's(Flea Market) open to anyone that has the appropriate membership level to list on bladeforums exchange

Kalsu Kalsu , could you (or someone else?) please s'plain me thos sheath? I'm trying to picture how it sits, especially the reason for the circular cut. Thanks!

(Your Hiking Buddy looks great, but my query is purely a matter of curiosity-- I'm always on the search for leather that works for me.:oops:)

GUIbbGz.jpg

Kalsu Kalsu , could you (or someone else?) please s'plain me thos sheath? I'm trying to picture how it sits, especially the reason for the circular cut. Thanks!

(Your Hiking Buddy looks great, but my query is purely a matter of curiosity-- I'm always on the search for leather that works for me.:oops:)

Honestly I never used the sheath. I looked at it and tried to figure how it was suppose to be used, but came up blank. With a knife the size of the hiking buddy I prefer to carry it clipped into my pocket. It is a very well made sheath, just not something I would really use. It came with the knife so if it sells it will follow the hiking buddy to its new home. Hopefully someone else will come along to shed some light on it for both of us.

That hiking buddy is a great knife. The handles feel great in the hand and look good. I just found out I prefer thinner steel (1/8" or 3/32"). I wouldn't use that particular knife hard enough to warrant the 5/32" steel. When we are out in the woods I usually have my 3/32" hiking buddy and 1/8" bushfinger along with a hatchet in my pack. That combo has not failed me yet.

Honestly I never used the sheath. I looked at it and tried to figure how it was suppose to be used, but came up blank. With a knife the size of the hiking buddy I prefer to carry it clipped into my pocket. It is a very well made sheath, just not something I would really use. It came with the knife so if it sells it will follow the hiking buddy to its new home. Hopefully someone else will come along to shed some light on it for both of us.

That hiking buddy is a great knife. The handles feel great in the hand and look good. I just found out I prefer thinner steel (1/8" or 3/32"). I wouldn't use that particular knife hard enough to warrant the 5/32" steel. When we are out in the woods I usually have my 3/32" hiking buddy and 1/8" bushfinger along with a hatchet in my pack. That combo has not failed me yet.
Again, out of curiosity ... Could you post a pic of the other side of the sheath?

It was described as a cross-draw sheath, so if you're a righty, you would thread your belt through the slot and wear it on your left in the 10 to 11 o'clock position. I suspect it was intended to be tucked inside your waistband Looks like it was intended to be worn sandwiched between your pants waistband and your belt. The circular cut may be to prevent the sheath from digging into your thigh when seated.

Last edited:
It was described as a cross-draw sheath, so if you're a righty, you would thread your belt through the slot and wear it on your left in the 10 to 11 o'clock position. I suspect it was intended to be tucked inside your waistband. The circular cut may be to prevent the sheath from digging into your thigh when seated.
or wrap around your hip

Sorry took a few days to get the picture posted up. Here is the opposite side of the sheath with the knife in it.

8HI3uoF.jpg
pertinux pertinux

Given a right-handed person who has their belt buckle on the left side (loop side coming from the right), I guess I could see this being a cross-draw sheath where the sheath rides between the belt and pants. The curved part might be there for hip clearance when sitting.

Very very crude mock up but you should get the idea ~P. ("P" standing for "Person who shall not be named") :p
2v2usALFhxAKujh.jpg

Warrior108 Warrior108 I could see that working..I guess. The sheath came with the knife and I never used it. I always thought it was weird that it didn't have a second belt loop. I guess it was meant to tuck into your pant line?

run the belt over the sheath & into the loop

edit

i guess that wouldn't work very well for re-sheathing the knife

Warrior108 Warrior108 I could see that working..I guess. The sheath came with the knife and I never used it. I always thought it was weird that it didn't have a second belt loop. I guess it was meant to tuck into your pant line?
run the belt over the sheath & into the loop

edit

i guess that wouldn't work very well for re-sheathing the knife

I do believe that's the idea? The sheath needs to be oriented as in Kalsu's first picture above, for right-hand crossdraw.

Here's an example of one of Horsewright Horsewright 's sheaths with the single-slot design:

Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 1.17.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 1.18.02 PM.png
The cut-out on Kalsu's sheath must have meant sense to someone! I just can't quite figure it, though.

(Maybe Dave Ferry/ Horsewright Horsewright can shed some light, now that I've summons'd him. ;))

~ P.

Howdy guys, I've never posted here before.

Yeah I'd agree that the sheath is designed to be worn as I'm wearing mine in the first picture of me in the saddle. I call my sheath in this style, The Slotted sheath, its really a variation of an old mountain man/native American style sheath. A lot of folks don't get how to wear that sheath but once ya do its pretty darn practical. First its truly wearable 360 degrees on the belt and most sheaths aren't. It also allows you to change the angle of carry some depending on what you are doing. I first starting making these years a go at the request of some cowboys in northern NV that had some broncy horses in their strings. There is a feeling that being under the belt helps with retention. It doesn't really, the way I build em using a Loveless welt but the perception is still there.

I'd agree that the circular cutout on that sheath is for leg/hip relief, just a little more stylized than what I do anyhoo. It would provide some leg clearance while sitting, say.

Thanks pertinux and at your service sir.

Don't see too many old school Fiddlebacks come up f/s in the Flea Market and this one from Andy's first year...

Fiddleback Small Nessie (2009) - O1 Convex-Sabergrind with Bocote on Curly Maple

Back