The grind on this Brous

I think you’re expecting too much perfection from this knife. If you’re not happy send it back. Take a look at a white river knucklehead. Very similar and way better finish and attention to detail.

Virtually every knife I have bought has had uneven edge grinds. customs and production.
that's not even mentioning the knives that have arrived dull.
whether its at the tip,at the back or comparing one side to the other. Not one knife has ever arrived even and perfect. not Spyder,Benchmade,Emerson,ZT for production knives. I wont list the custom makers.

of course I havnt ever spent over $250 for a knife but in my opinion that knife in the pic is fine is what to expect for the price and you shouldn't worry about it. My brous silent soldier wharncliffe version has uneven grinds from one side to the other on the edge. still a great little knife.

if a human is doing the edge grind by hand it will most likely be off. I know Spyderco has started using robotics for sharpening I think? those seem better but still not perfect to the naked eye which is even more disappointing.

That portion at the heel that looks thin might keep staying thin as you sharpen. The very back of it widening that's not even an issue.

Calling it an edge grind issue is incorrect, it's a primary grind thickness issue. The blade was ground thinner at the heel/choil and because of this the edge bevel will always be thinner in that area.

Most knives in my experience as a professional sharpener have at least one spot in the blade where the grind could use some work.

Personally, I find the machine edge grind to be the most problematic on knives of pretty much all make and price point. Because of the aggressive nature of the steel removal by machine there is typically a VERY small recurve about 1/2 inch in from the choil. Though it doesn't sound like much it requires you to flat grind the edge and do a complete reprofile to get it straight again.

That doesn't look too bad, in my opinion. Brous has issues with their plunge grinds and sharpening choils.

Personally, I'd just take a dremel to the choil and enlarge it. I've done that before on other knives and you can get a really clean, functional sharpening choil out of it pretty easily.

I wouldn't trust myself to attack a knife with a dremel. but sounds plausible.

Id run my finger at the base there, where edge bevel is thinner and see if you can detect the blade itself feeling thinner or not. Or you can check with a caliper. The edge bevel looking thinner can mean what jasonb and i was saying earlier. This visually makes the very end look even bigger. As you sharpen the thin part of the blade, it will be reflected in the grind bevel looking thinner also than the rest. The picture Lapedog posted is the best case scenario for that knife. You can't really avoid what's happening at the very end. If your OCD better return it now before you start sharpening.

It’s a neck knife. Are we seriously talking about a millimeter length of knife edge that is not a perfect angle to match the rest of the blade? Do you think the knife will not cut on that last mm of blade? Use it already. Thanks for the post

Virtually every knife I have bought has had uneven edge grinds. customs and production.
that's not even mentioning the knives that have arrived dull.
whether its at the tip,at the back or comparing one side to the other. Not one knife has ever arrived even and perfect. not Spyder,Benchmade,Emerson,ZT for production knives. I wont list the custom makers.

of course I havnt ever spent over $250 for a knife but in my opinion that knife in the pic is fine is what to expect for the price and you shouldn't worry about it. My brous silent soldier wharncliffe version has uneven grinds from one side to the other on the edge. still a great little knife.

if a human is doing the edge grind by hand it will most likely be off. I know Spyderco has started using robotics for sharpening I think? those seem better but still not perfect to the naked eye which is even more disappointing.

Emersons are never (or always) even because they have chisel edges. ;)

It’s a neck knife. Are we seriously talking about a millimeter length of knife edge that is not a perfect angle to match the rest of the blade? Do you think the knife will not cut on that last mm of blade? Use it already. Thanks for the post
Yes, on this KNIFE forum we were having a discussion about an uneven grind. Doesn’t matter if it’s a neck knife or a sword. I have a Chinese Ruike with a perfect grind. Kinda makes me wonder, which is why I created the thread. I know the knife will cut just fine as I’ve already been using it. I’m over the grind and will continue to enjoy my new necker.

Thanks for the post.

was talking about the grinds in general terms. on a chisel it could and for me was an uneven grind

Haha very funny :)

was talking about all types of uneven grinds and not form side to side necessarily as can be seen by the photo provided in the start of this thread.

and some Emersons have a V grind smarty pants !!!

was talking about the grinds in general terms. on a chisel it could and for me was an uneven grind

Haha very funny :)

was talking about all types of uneven grinds and not form side to side necessarily as can be seen by the photo provided in the start of this thread.

and some Emersons have a V grind smarty pants !!!

Well those Emersons with a V main grind have a chisel edge. So their edge is 100% uneven.

Well those Emersons with a V main grind have a chisel edge. So their edge is 100% uneven.

what? am I in the land of kookiness?

a "V" grind is a "Chisel " grind? Oh wait I get it. going back to geometry class now.

Its too early to even fire up the brain cells to argue semantics so I will step back and declare you the winner of all things . I bow to your greatness oh lord of the grinds. :)

what? am I in the land of kookiness?

a "V" grind is a "Chisel " grind? Oh wait I get it. going back to geometry class now.

Its too early to even fire up the brain cells to argue semantics so I will step back and declare you the winner of all things . I bow to your greatness oh lord of the grinds. :)

Haha thank you I’m flattered.

Back