THE Hollow Handle Knife Thread

Sam Wilson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
OK, for all those that are interested in HH knives, here is a thread just about them. If you don't like HH knives, or don't find them practical, please go elsewhere. This thread isn't about starting arguments, or debating whether HH knives are useful or not, this is about past, present, or future HH knives. Whether you've owned them, will own them, use them, or just like looking at pictures of them and talking about them, that's what this thread is for, along with all the kits that are so fun to make and store in the handle. And let me just get this out of the way early on: Yes, I do make and sell HH knives. I started making them because I absolutely love them. I think they are some of the coolest knives ever! And yes, I absolutely would love to make YOU a HH knife.

But whether you want one of my knives or not, or like them, or whatever, I would like to welcome anyone who enjoys HH knives, likes looking at pics or videos of them, or wants to learn more about them, please feel free to join the discussion. Additionally, please feel free to post pics, videos, or whatever of these type knives, whether they be users, safe queens, or you no longer own it, WHATEVER! I look forward to discussing it with all of you.

I will start, and with a knife by another maker, no less. This is the Chris Reeve Project II. I have used this knife on numerous trips, whether backpacking, camping, or hiking. When I have a few minutes, I will post up the kit inside.

104_0460copy_zps672a12ce.jpg

104_0456copy_zps0789f09b.jpg

104_0458copy_zps69b91550.jpg

Let the GAMES begin!

Sam :thumbup:

Last edited:
Excellent thread, Sam.
No need for the caveat IMO; that you make HH knives doesnt matter - you have clearly demonstrated, that you have a genuine interest in using the HH knives. Not least in 'the other' HH practical knife thread, where you have hitherto shown remarkable restrant. Keep up the good work:D

Here is my Buckmaster again - I might put together a kit for the handle

I also bought a CR Shadow III at some point, so your CR is good to see - especially as its a user.

Reactions: GF1
I have a new favorite thread! :cool:

Great knives, guys. Please, keep them coming....

I will add a pic or two later.

Sam,

You're foolish to think this thread won't start arguments and debates. After I read it and see the photos, my wife and I will be arguing and debating if I really need ANOTHER hollow handle knife. :D

Let the games begin, indeed! :devilish:

Klute, cool find on Wikipedia. They actually had something good to say about HH knives, and some great makers.

Nice pics, Alex and SENGVIN! I'm in love with that Hibben Rescue knife...

Excellent thread, Sam.
No need for the caveat IMO; that you make HH knives doesnt matter - you have clearly demonstrated, that you have a genuine interest in using the HH knives. Not least in 'the other' HH practical knife thread, where you have hitherto shown remarkable restrant. Keep up the good work:D

Here is my Buckmaster again - I might put together a kit for the handle

I also bought a CR Shadow III at some point, so your CR is good to see - especially as its a user.

Those Reeves are great as users, and I'm not much on coatings, but Duracoat is one of my favorites. It's fairly thin, so it wears well.

Sam,

You're foolish to think this thread won't start arguments and debates. After I read it and see the photos, my wife and I will be arguing and debating if I really need ANOTHER hollow handle knife. :D

Let the games begin, indeed! :devilish:

LOL, I know. They are the heroin of the knife world, lol! :D

I have been working on a blade blank in my spare time in the shop, and I'm curious what you guys would think of it. I don't have much done on it yet, but I am thinking of doing one with some Buckmaster influence. I will change it up a little, as I don't like just "redoing" somebody else's design. I'm thinking a 7 1/2" bowie style blade, with a slightly shorter clip on it, and probably skipping the large serrations on the clip, as I don't want to weaken it. I would put a sawback on there, (one that works), and offer a satin finish and also a subdued, grayish black acid etched finish. Obviously with my style guard and handle options, and optional MOA system. And a full flat grind would make it a mean cutter. Any thoughts?

I would put a sawback on there, (one that works)?

Sam,

Tell us about your sawteeth. Do you offer more than one style? What type of sawteeth do you feel are the most effective and efficent for wood?

I have been working on a blade blank in my spare time in the shop, and I'm curious what you guys would think of it. I don't have much done on it yet, but I am thinking of doing one with some Buckmaster influence. I will change it up a little, as I don't like just "redoing" somebody else's design. I'm thinking a 7 1/2" bowie style blade, with a slightly shorter clip on it, and probably skipping the large serrations on the clip, as I don't want to weaken it. I would put a sawback on there, (one that works), and offer a satin finish and also a subdued, grayish black acid etched finish. Obviously with my style guard and handle options, and optional MOA system. And a full flat grind would make it a mean cutter. Any thoughts?
Making an interpretation of the classic Buckmaster sounds like a great idea. Cant wait to see it:thumbup:
Some knifemakers put together WIP threads/videoes (*hint, hint*):D
Dropping the sawteeth on the clip for a stronger cleaner design sounds great.
As for the clip, Im a fan of the longer clips, but to each his own.
Look forward to seeing the knife.

Great thread, I love hollow handle knives! Here's a pic of my Bianchi nighthawk made by eye brand.

null-36.jpg

I always liked the looks of that Nighthawk. I'm assuming Bianchi made the sheath. Is the sheath as high quality as one would expect?

I would say yes. Ive seen both very heavy duty leather sheaths and a good quality nylon holster for the Nighthawk.
The latter comes with a pouch and the same very nifty belt attacment point, that the Bianchi holster for the US service pistol has.

I've had this first gen Buckmaster since buying it new back in 84-85ish. Its the very first version with the compass in the cap. Carried deer hunting for a bit. Also during a 2 week tactical school outing way back then. Still has the original kit that came in the handle.
Too heavy..too big for my taste..too thick..serrations don't really work..and I hate the balance.
SampWE1911WC693_zps52a3e3bb.jpg

SampWE1911WC694_zpsd306b699.jpg

SampWE1911WC676_zps0c8fc04e.jpg

SampWE1911WC689_zps30553958.jpg

Sharpening stone on back of sheath.
SampWE1911WC690_zpsdaf11e55.jpg

Sam I am partial to serrated clips [5160 is tuff steel], knurled handles, and stonewash.

Make it look a bit meaner? This *may* take away some function you are after but can add another dimension of function while you mix in some ARTISTIC SNARL ...these knives are all business but still there is an artistry about them just the same i think you agree?

Loving all the pics on this thread.

Ebay often has parts from a Bianchi Nighthawk for sale. I've thought about buying them and assembling a complete knife. I think it would total about $80 or so, which, if the result is half-way decent, is a pretty good deal.

Ironically, I saw a current knife magazine in the bookstore today (can't recall the title - sorry!) with an article called "The Return of the Hollow Handle Knife," or words to that effect. It reviewed the Schrade, Boker Apparo, Lile, and one other I hadn't heard of before (again, forgot the name despite my best attempts).

Back