1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The Interview

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Ernest DuBois, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    Huh? What are these guys doing here while I'm out standing in the field?[​IMG]

2. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I can't see the image. Or link or whatever it is! What am I missing???

3. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    You gotta right click on it and "open image in new tab".

Miller '72 and Yankee Josh like this.
  4. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Gotchya. I'm always on my android and forget that I can click, hold and open. Neat photo!

5. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Good on you for helping to keep traditional skills alive.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  6. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    I'm glad somebody's there to pass on all those new skills, I've no idea.

7. rjdankert

rjdankert Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Square_peg and Fmont like this.
  8. Old Axeman

Old Axeman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2015
    It scares me some times that you guys have way too many computer skills.

9. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
    It's a matter of necessity. I'd go nuts trying to guess what the photo was, so instead I go nuts clicking things and hitting keyboard keys until I see the photo. Remembering the correct combination of clicking or typing is the only hard part. As for other computer skills, I just wing it and hope that winging it works.

10. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    This is a proprietary issue because the picture was sent to me from a google services account and this complicates transferring the content to a smooth-working format I can work well with. It was only in pdf that I could import the google originated picture to my hosting server which provides me the url for transformatting onto this website. I wish it were otherwise but it's not. I will add this as an edit just for more information. Depending on the browser I am using I get more or less imagery. Has something to do with settings installed.

Yankee Josh and Fmont like this.
  11. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    The picture shows on my phone but not on my PC. It is a picture file that is turned to pdf for proprietary reasons as you mentioned.
    Here is your picture converted to jpg. I will remove it for any reason you wish:
    [​IMG]

12. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    Agent-H, here is a man not only knowledgeable about the axes of Finland, an excellent restorationist of axes in general but with a high order of computer competency to boot, and who knows what else, a Renaissance man of his time.

13. rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    The "picture posted" in post #1 also does not show on my phone. I have an Android, so don't know about iPhones, smart phones or any other. Since the OP used the image function

[​IMG]

for a document (.pdf file) the software could not display the embedded image (for my devices) within the document. Linking to the document
    at least will lead to the page and hence photo for folks with devices like mine.

This is really not a complex issue compared to some of the joinery concepts used in say timber framing.;)

Hope this helps.

Bob

Square_peg, Trailsawyer, A17 and 2 others like this.
  14. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I'll take "competent"! Just trying to help out.

I'm more interested in the story behind the picture.

rjdankert, Trailsawyer, A17 and 4 others like this.
  15. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    I would like to know about the interview also.
    That's a fine looking dog, is it yours Earnest? I never trust a man that doesn't like dogs or my dogs don't like.

16. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    Yes, the dog belongs to me. He is from October so has not yet reached one year. The more we are together the better we get along.

I'll cut in on the story at this point, for brevity's sake. Working there like that next to the sawyer, he approaches with a proposal. He had a stem to dimension as a component for a kind of horse driven mill however one stem provided to him was excessively crooked to the point he could not get the proper dimension by sawing so he proposed that once he'd sawn the two straight sides to that height that I take over and cut the width down following the curvature of the stem since this would have no bearing on the construction but would conserve the full strength of the beam. Well, the principle is an old one and common enough, making use of otherwise unsuitable material. This is when the film crew which is making a production to be part of the presentation on the grounds of this historic manor house entered the scene wanting their explanations.

To return to all these variations in what pops up and what doesn't on the screen though. On one browser I open a page of this Blades Forum website and directly I get the content I was seeking while on the other browser I make the same move and have this super irritation of what looks like a kind of self-promotion or in-your-face gimmick intended to get my attention. Does anyone else have to deal with this crap? And how to get rid of it?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  17. rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    Nobody needs that.:(

You will need to make known what browser and a web address that causes the irritation, then there may be a good chance a member here may duplicate the problem and can help.:thumbsup:

Bob

PS If all else fails, I for one have some "expert" backup consultants (aka grandkids) who work more or less pro gratis.:D

Square_peg, Fmont, garry3 and 2 others like this.
  18. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    The problematic, in this instance because otherwise many more visuals come through here than there, browser is safari, web address, anything with
    b l a de f r o um s . c o m
    standing at the beginning, then a kind of knife logo, grey background and tv screen and stuff pops and I've got to klick it away and all that hassle I can better do without. Never used to happen until recently and I held out hope that it was temporary but my patience is running awfully thin. Probably someone's using it to get me to pay a fee or something, you know, kind of like "pay up or else we're going to go on provoking with irritating interruptions because we have such a prerogative..."

Fmont likes this.
  19. rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    Well. . . cut off my legs and call me SHORTY!:eek:

FWIW, out of curiosity I downloaded Safari on my laptop (Windows 10) and pulled up this thread. Here is a screen shot of what came up:

[​IMG]

Bob

Fmont and Agent_H like this.
  20. rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    Sounds like you are only having problems with this site? If so and someone doesn't post a solution in this thread, I suggest posting in the BF support thread:

https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/tech-support-general-q-a-site-feedback-more.679/

Sorry I can't help more.:(

Bob

Fmont likes this.