1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The "I've Been Here a Year and I Appreciate You" GAW ***WINNERS ANNOUNCED***

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, May 31, 2019.

1. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Fellow members of The Porch,

It is nearing my first annual BladeForums anniversary. Weird though it feels like I have been here for much longer. I think that speaks highly to the atmosphere and good nature of this community.

My first interactions here were actually in the modern forums and I think it wasn’t until July or so that I stumbled across The Porch. I made some attempt to interact at first but my lack of traditional experience was glaring (reference my first post about a CRKT Quill). So I started digging into threads, asking questions, admiring everyone’s beautiful knives and, ultimately, started buying some from the traditional exchange. The rest (2000+ posts, 8600+ likes, 230+ knives acquired, a GEC database, Photoshop Fun, GAWs, a decent collection of Tortoise Shell GECs and countless new friends made) evolved naturally from there.

I’ve learned a lot about people, traditional knives, historical significance, collecting and I have much to be thankful for. Many of you have touched my life in some way…either here or in my FB group or in-person or otherwise. Thank you to everyone who has been a friend to me and helped make this community something special. In my life, hobbies come and go…but I knew when I found this place that I had found my home away from home. You have all enabled me to feel comfortable here and I appreciate that. If all of our communities existed together like we do here, the world would be a much better place. I try to extend the values of The Porch wherever I can and have helped put together a pretty decent slipjoint group on FB where I do my best to instill the same atmosphere and good nature (you all would be proud) :D

Lately, I’ve been really fortunate to grab some amazing deals from fellow Porch members on our exchange or otherwise. Anyone that tries to grab deals on the exchange knows that you have to be quick sometimes…I’m talking within a few seconds quick…or you miss out. I hope there are no hard feelings when you see me swoop in on something before you can blink an eye. It is the result of many harsh lessons learned over time and an acute sense of urgency when I see that notification email pop up. In this hobby, the best deals are not actively found...they pop up when you least expect it. I assure you that knife I swooped on will either be well taken care of in my personal collection or it will go to someone else who will take good care of it and appreciate it even more than me (which is A LOT!) ;)

On that note, I didn’t want this to be a celebration or a rambling on my behalf…just want to make sure you all know that I appreciate you :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: I want this to be about the best attribute of The Porch in my opinion – paying it forward. It has been far too long and I want to host another GAW to offer up a few of the knives that I acquired from our exchange recently.

A 782117 American Jack SFO for KSF in Cocobolo…
    GEC_78_cocobolo.jpg

…and a 735115 Scout in Black Box Brown Jig Bone.
    GEC_73_blackbox.jpg

…both are excellent users with a ton of life left in them. The 78 comes with original tube and the 73 has a replacement tube that should be in my possession before the end of the GAW (barring Chris Tucker’s continued absence).

To enter:
    I’d like to know 1) which of these two knives you would prefer and 2) how The Porch and traditional knife community has touched your lives (optional). For me, it has been life-changing…I can’t be the only one!
    I know a lot of you, myself included, don’t feel comfortable joining GAW’s very often because we are already blessed and that’s ok. Please enter anyway and nominate someone else. But just know these users will serve you well and it would be my personal gift to you! Either way, feel free to chime in :)

The fine print:
    On the date of my anniversary (June 7th), I will close the GAW and select winners by random drawing. The first winner will get the knife they selected. I will then draw another random number until someone who selected the other knife wins it. I would normally do this live but will have to make do with screen shots here.

You must be an active member of The Porch to enter. No minimum posts required or anything like that but you should be someone who participates on some level. I think what I really want is for these to go to someone who will appreciate them. If that is you…please enter!

I will cover shipping via USPS with tracking in the US. International ok but we may need to work out something for the shipping costs depending on where you are at. I’ll work with you.

Good luck everyone and thank you!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  2. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    A very generous GAW Darren. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

I'd like to be in for the #73, a pattern I do not currently have and one I desire.

I like this forum for many reasons, but most importantly it's the people here. A friendlier and more generous bunch cannot be found anywhere. And of course it's the knives that bring us here to start with. Our shared love of those artistic tools that transport us back to simpler times. When I first got here I went crazy and bought so many knives, but have slowly dwindled my collection down to about a dozen good "users" that have some kind of meaning to me. That's why I am admiring that #73, it would fit right into my small collection and get used as it should. Could it be Lucky Number 13? Thank you for the opportunity and congratulations on your One Year Anniversary. :)

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    dc50, Eli Chaps, mitch4ging and 7 others like this.
  3. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Both knives are appealing.
    You are offering up fine specimens. Thanks for giving us the opportunity. I would pick the 73.

BF has touched my life deeply as well.
    Being into knives is an obscure pursuit. BF and The Porch is one of those rare places where I can share my love for the beauty of glistening steel and deep tones of wood and bone with other like-minded obsessives and have it immediately reciprocated.

It's the place of many things: great people, great knives and great knowledge. It's broadened my horizons; it's enriched my hobby. Since joining, ahem, returning last fall, I now have knives from a custom Spanish bladesmith, something I never expected. I have switched from tactical to traditional. Another surprise. In this, I feel The Porch is one of those bastions of the old ways, which is very refreshing in a modern world that's speeding up a bit too fast.

BF has touched me by being the recipient of two giveaways so far. A definite surprise. I never expected that generosity from a forum.

I guess knife people are good people, regardless of what a police officer might say.
    BF and The knife-nuts here are one of the good things in my life.
    You don't have to meet someone in person to make real connections.

Congrats Darren on your first year, no doubt poorer in funds, but richer in what matters in life.

~Don

4. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    I have no doubt that 73 will fit right in with your refined collection :thumbsup: I wish I had the same restraint as you :) Thanks for your entry and good luck :thumbsup:

The GAWs kinda blew me away when I first showed up here. I hadn't been a part of anything like that before and it was refreshing to witness. I remember being so excited when I finally hosted my first one. In fact, I still go back and read through that thread to browse through everyone's happy place :) Thanks for your entry and good luck :thumbsup:

5. Edm1

Edm1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Very kind of you. I joined years ago. Discovered GEC and traditions and it was all it took. Got in on the 2013 Charlows and ended up selling guns etc to buy them. Took a hiatus from buying knives for a few years and enjoyed the ones I accumulated. Joined back up this year and same people, same threads, same problem with needing to buy everything...this place cost me money....I love the info and friends here.

I’m in for the 78 to be different.

Thanks

6. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Darren, this is not an entry, as I already have several of each pattern and would rather see someone new to these two fine patterns enjoy one. But I wanted to say how much I appreciate your contributions to "The Porch," and hope to see you posting for a looong time to come! :thumbsup:

7. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    I didn't sell any of my guns to buy knives but I most definitely stopped buying them to buy knives :) Glad you are back! Thanks for your entry and good luck :thumbsup:

Thanks Jeff I hope so too :):thumbsup:

dc50, chuck4570, McFeeli and 2 others like this.
  8. Âchillepattada

Âchillepattada Basic Member Basic Member

May 17, 2012
    Thank you very much Darren for this beautiful GAW.
    I’m in too for the 78.

I recently discovered this great place.
    I first registered to promote the sardinian cutlery as I do it on the french forum for years. Sardinia is a place I love and where I have a lot of friends knife-makers. On the Sardinian connection topic I've met by chance the great Charlie Campagna . And as I was very very lucky he foresaw at that time a trip in Paris. I met him here, we shared a lot and he made me discover the Great Eastern Company.
    Since that time I try to link my passion for Italy and Sardinia and my new passion for the english-american cutlery asking to my friends knife-makers to make italian-english-american knives :D
    Knives don't cut, they link people together and the porsch is a great place for this .

Thanks you again for this nice GAW :):thumbsup:

Â

9. abbydaddy

abbydaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2014
    I'm afraid I wouldn't use either of those beauties myself (although I do know a deserving educator who would sure appreciate the 78), so I won't be in for myself, but if you are okay with me entering on someone else's behalf, I'll be in.

When I originally started on Bladeforums I was focused on modern EDC/tactical type knives. Really I was focused on finding one specific knife. After 6 months or so I landed that one (and it is still my holy grail knife, even though my collection has grown to include many lovely other knives). By that point though, I was pretty hooked on the site. I loved learning about knives. But I no longer had a need for more moderns. What was a budding knife knut to do?

I came to the traditional forum because I had been attracted by the friendly manners and generous GAWs on the sub forum. I decided that I would try out some traditionals to see if this might be an ongoing source of knifely pleasure. I asked for advice on what sort of knife to start with, and immediately @EyeDog stepped up and offered me this beauty:

I was hooked. I just couldn't believe folks would be so generous, and it was fun learning about all of these traditional patterns.

Since then I have come to realize that even though I find Barlows to be the handsomest of the traditional patterns, I never seem to use them. But I gifted that knife to my dad, and he carries it all the time.

And that has been the biggest thing I've learned here. I have had so many opportunities to provide people who otherwise would be going through life with terrible knives with knives that are beautiful and special thanks to this subforum. I have given away a number of knives here (mostly scouts, but a few others too :) ), and the knives that others have given me have in many cases gone on to deserving folks.

10. t.willy

t.willy Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Thank you for the opportunity Darren this is a very generous GAW. The porch has become very important to me over the years. I first stumbled across this wonderful world of all things sharp and pointy back in 2015 when I was first researching pocket knives. I didn't take the leep to actually buy a membership until 4 or 5 months later when I realized how much I really enjoyed buying and selling knives. Like yourself I take great satisfaction from knowing I've had a hand in putting a knife in the hands of another knife Knut like myself. Especially when it's one you know that person's been hunting for for awhile. These are just a few of the great benefits I get from being a member of this great place. I've learned many great lessons from the kind and good hearted members of this very special place. I wish everyone good luck on the giveaway and I'd like to congratulate you Darren on your first year on the porch. May there be many many more. P.S. I almost forgot I'd prefer the #73 TY. Trevor :cool::thumbsup:

11. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead

Nov 6, 2017
    Im in, Im interested in the 73. Thanks for the generous GAW, thats really nice of you. Im glad you found the Porch. Im glad I did too! I wanted to join BladeForums long before I did. I lurked for ages. I wanted to be able to talk to people who shared my same weird interests. I was worried though that if I joined, Id end up being part of a toxic, rude community. I knew that forums could be pretty nasty places full of anonymous people yelling at each other but I took a chance and joined BladeForums.
    It was a great choice! The Porch is full of great people. Its given me a place to share my hobbies and talk to so many different people. The Porch has been great for me but the best thing about the Porch didnt involve me at all... I entered a GAW a while back and didnt win. I wanted to win a scout knife to give to my nephew who cant afford to be in the boy scouts. In the GAW, another member here (willintheweeds) saw what I had posted and got ahold of me to send me a scout knife anyway!! Even though I lost, I still got a knife to give to my nephew because of generosity here. The Porch is awesome, and made a kid happy.
    If I win this GAW, this knife will be for me though. :D

12. SteveC

SteveC

Jul 13, 2017
    Very generous GAW Darren, I'm in and would be interested in the #73 as I already have an American Jack in Cocobolo, great knife !

A friend directed me to this forum a few years ago and I came here to soak up some knowledge about the traditional knives I've grown to love. I found here a very friendly and welcoming bunch. :)

13. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Very generous, thank you. I'm a sucker for a nice cigar, so I'll buck the trend and prefer the 78. I found this place specifically, not BF, when I began to grow disenchanted with modern folders. I couldn't have found a friendlier bunch of enablers and codependents if I had tried. :) It has renewed my passion for knives. Thanks

14. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    I’d like to be considered for the 78 as well. It’s one pattern I’ve yet to try out, and that one is a beauty. Thank you for the opportunity! And congrats on the one year mark!

I consider the traditional side of BF to be one of the greatest sources of invauble information on the history of knives and one of the most generous places on the internet itself. I’ve asked some pretty boneheaded questions about traditional knives because it was all really new to me, it still is in some respects, but not a single person over here gave me a hard time for trying to learn about these types of knives, in fact everyone I’ve talked to were really welcoming and encouraging, and it’s the people on this forum that I gravitated towards almost more than the knives themselves. It’s a pretty special island in the ocean of the internet.

15. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    My friend this is a GREAT thing you are doing - with two very nice knives I might add - both those knives are extremely good knives.

Not an entry but a thank you :) :thumbsup:

16. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    Wow how cool is that! It must have been a great time meeting up with Charlie in Paris :) And what a memorable way to discover GEC and traditionals. A little off-topic, but are you going to try that zip line they have setup on the Eiffel Tower right now? It looks like a lot of fun :) Thanks for your entry and good luck :thumbsup:

Great story and perfect examples of what altruism is all about. Funny how one simple gesture can change the course of someone's life. That feeling of pleasure when you make someone else's day is rather addictive I might add :) Please do enter on someone else's behalf...I updated my original post to include that so hopefully others will follow. Also would be curious to know what that holy grail is? :)
    By the way, like you I end up giving away scouts more than anything...just something cool about giving someone their first scout.

Thanks Trevor :) I think birds of the same feather flock together...and many of us here have the same feather :) Good luck :thumbsup:

You definitely made a great choice :) I understand the hesitation based on how other forums and groups can be. The traditional knife community is a rare gem these days. The difference is the respect that we have for one another. We are all from different areas, backgrounds, beliefs, etc. but none of that matters here. An open forum with no boundaries can quickly present challenges and conflicts.
    Thanks for your entry and good luck :thumbsup:

What an awesome thing your friend did :) Thanks for your entry and good luck :thumbsup:

You nailed it! Enablers and codependents :) Lately, I have been getting a lot of "...because of Darren I bought this beautiful knife..." and I feel a tiny bit guilty sometimes but not really...what a compliment in my opinion. Thanks for your entry and good luck :thumbsup:

You will love the 78 it is a really nice pattern. Simple, effective and the w&t is perfect (in my opinion). Thanks for your entry and good luck :thumbsup:

Thanks Duncan :) It would be ok to nominate someone else to win in your place if you'd like :thumbsup:

17. chuck4570

chuck4570 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Please put my name in for the #73 Scout, this is very kind of you.

For myself it’s not anything life changing but life reminiscing, at the age of 64 traditional knives have been a way of life since the age of 8 when my grandfather gave me a little single blade Old Timer. Almost every since that time I have at least one and mostly 2 traditional’s have been in my pocket. I have given or put aside many knives for my kids and grandkids in hopes of keeping this interest going. There is just something right about the looks and feel of a traditional knife that brings back memory’s, all good, that keeps me coming back to this place.

18. jwolf90

jwolf90

Oct 17, 2011
    Awesome GAW Darren. I'd be happy with caring for either knife but lean towards the 78 for some reason. I originally came to bladeforums to learn about these sharp things I seemed to have a profound interest in, they should be sharp imo. After a short time I found the traditional forum qnd it's been history since. I really don't venture anywhere else but this traditional forum and that's mainly bc of the easy going atmosphere and the people here who make this place as excellent as it is. I've been here since the start of the Charlow's and it's been amazing to own a few of them amongst others. I will say the Tc Barlow's and BeerScout's are my favorite along with basically any of the #15 patterned knives. What a small world that I happen to be entering your Gaw. I happened to recently let a few knives go and Darren happened to be the guy that picked up that nice lightweight T.A. Davison I had. I didn't know anyone from this forum had picked her up but i happened to be scrolling through the "What traditional are you toting today thread and low and behold there it was in all its blue lightweight glory. It made me happy to know the knife went to a good home and a fellow member here. Anyways just thought I would throw that lil story in since it makes this Gaw that much cooler for me to enter. Thanks again at the chance pal!

19. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Great GAW and you've been industrious this past year :D

What this place gives me is simple but vital: chance to discuss, give advice and learn. Just can't do this about knives in my day to day life.

Excellent knives on offer, I'd like to put in for the 73, Barehead & that Bone:cool: BUT if I win I will nominate somebody else as I have quite a few knives already;) But to whom is a secret for now:D

Regards, Will

20. abbydaddy

abbydaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2014
    It's not traditional, which is why I didn't mention it earlier. It is a walnut scaled Lone Wolf T2 Ranger. It isn't traditional, but the wood scales give it a traditional flavor that seems to put folks at ease even when I pull out a big modern folder. My usual pairing is that T2 and the 2015 forum knife, the Canal Street shadow pattern knife. They make a great pair with both having good grain and bolsterless exposed pivots. Even with all the wonderful toys I have, it is a hard pair to beat.