The Just Hanging Out Thread.

Just another PIF thread reminiscing comment. I was out replacing a broken rear spring on my car today and had the Milwaukee wireless impact driver with me from the thread. It made things so much easier in the tight spaces, and I really hate getting up into cares under cavities to take out bolts with things under pressure, as is the case with suspension. I really don't like dealing with electrical and springs when it comes to care repairs. The thin spun off a few bolts that would've required hugging things I didn't want to hug to get the right leverage on the bolt or nut without picking up the wheel assembly.

It was a great pickup, and another instance of enjoyment from that great thread with a great group of BF members.

Carry on :thumbsup:

Happy rainy Monday from NYC!

EDC'ing this PIF today. It's been a really fun knife journey recently. For the better part of 6 years of this knife journey, discovering bladeforums, I've been enmeshed in the search for perfect knives. And now all I do is find myself preferring to carry knives that in my head aren't perfect. Yet at the same time, I don't have the compulsion to immediately get rid of the knife or cast it away. For instance, this mini copper natrix had the worst lockstick of any knife that I've ever owned. It was like trying to open the stiffest Cold Steel tri-ad lock you ever owned when it was brand new. I've been slowly bending the lockbar a bit and it's been helping but the lock still sticks on occasion. That said, in a lot of ways this thing carries and has a blade profile that is identical to CRK's Insingo. Which is another knife that has imperfections (hard to open, pointy thumbstud, not designed to be flickable). Yet these have been my two favorite carry knives for the last few months. The Natrix is a slim tiny modern folder and the Insingo is a chunky, beefy tiny modern folder. Both pack really nice blade/handle proportions and awesome blade shapes. So in spite of their faults I'm at the point of collecting where I'm ok with a knife not being perfect.

Like with Endura's and Delica's. They don't tick the fancy knife itch for me, but no matter what has happened with knife collecting in the last 6 years...I keep coming back to these two models as my favorite work knife edc's of all time. Only in the last year have I been finally ok with this.

LH6mbDT.jpg

Yeah, it seems like no matter what I purchase, I keep reaching for the same three or four knives.

1. Kershaw Zing (US made).
2. Benchmade 531.
3. Benchmade Griptilian.
4. SAK.

I have carried my daughter’s Endura 4 quite a bit and I am very impressed. Maybe there is one in my future.

sabre cat sabre cat don't forget to take a peek at the Endela. It's a regular thin spydie frn lockback but PM2 sized! I might get one!

Don’t do this to me. My plan was to only own one other Spyderco than their Clip-it Rescue.

I picked their D’Allara 3 and have been very happy with it. Only two Spyderco knives.

Now I am considering a PM 2 and fighting the urge for an Endura 4.

Now you tell me about another knife! I thought I was surrounded by friends here on BF.

How do I tell my wife there may be another knife added to my wish list?

Don’t do this to me. My plan was to only own one other Spyderco than their Clip-it Rescue.

I picked their D’Allara 3 and have been very happy with it. Only two Spyderco knives.

Now you tell me about another knife! I thought I was surrounded by friends here on BF.

Which PM2...s30v? 20cv? m390? m4? Cruwear? Maxamet? ... The rabbit hole has deepened!!! ;)

Oh...the PM2 were dark days for me....or they were dark days for my wife rather! Lol.

That's how I ended up back with a wharncliffe Delica that @Eric black now edcs. I had earlier last year convinced myself that iithe Milli and PM2 on paper were the hands down best all-around stoutest EDC on the planet and best knives for me. So I went on Milli and PM2 collecting spree. S35v, S90V, S110v, Rex-45 (I even got a Rex-45 PM3), S30v etc...

Turns out that they're too overbuilt and pocket tanks, just a wee bit too heavy for me to carry as an everyday EDC. Great as a work knife but not for my regular light cutting duties. I ended up back at square 1, got the wharnie delica. And that thing was so good I just about stopped carrying any other knife. So what does the stupid knifenut like me do? Throw the thing into the PIF ring for someone to grab. Lol. I had simultaneously realized what I really needed and that was a different kind of EDC which was the ultra light modern sub 3 ounce knife that was about the size of the Kershaw Leek. For whatever reason the mnandi should have fit as an ultimate version of that knife but it was too overbuilt again but had no thumbstud which made me upset.

Which is how I ended up where I am now. I use mostly an Endura lockbackin frn. The frn is lightweight and strong (I beat my first gen 2 delica with a hammer out of curiosity, I did the same with my first mini grip) and was shocked that it didn't crack the scales. More importantly bc their lockbacks their thin and sit in my pocket great!

The Endela here's a side by side as you can see, makes for a really great EDC, problem is @Monofletch after hearing about my plight sent me an Endura which was another reason I threw the Delica into the PIF even though that blade was my alpha favorite knife. Gotta use a gift blade especially one that you love and is also in many ways interchangeable with the other knife that you love.

Anyhow about the Endela, check it out, I stole this photo btw. Size wise, look how great is that? It's 3 ounces!!! And guess what, you can fling it clear across a yard and ain't nothing bad is going to happen to it! So forget on paper, the real life fling across the yard is kinda my measuring stick on certain work knives now.

bmp8ln90f5331.jpg

Apparently I avoided the PM2 problem... never warmed up to the compression lock. Small-ish fixed blades... it was such a bad problem I decided to start designing my own to try and make some money selling them :).

The compression lock is what I like about the PM 2. That and the handle. The blade on the other hand looks like a last minute add on.

Give it the blade from a D’Allara 3 and you would have something.

The compression lock is what I like about the PM 2. That and the handle. The blade on the other hand looks like a last minute add on.

Give it the blade from a D’Allara 3 and you would have something.

I love the military. Different lock of course. The handle designs are really great on them.

Still, prefer the lack of a thumb ramp on the native. I think the native is one of the best EDC folders available, independent of price.

The Native didn’t do anything for me.I don’t remember why. I just remember handling one and deciding it didn’t work for me.

I think there are a lot of people that like the delica/endura style handle a lot more, and there is certainly a different blade shape and feel. I never warmed up to the delica/endura as much, though great options.

One of my more recent challenges, last year or so really, is finding and EDC for the winter coat pocket, so something that works really well with gloves. Besides the military, which is too big for me to legally EDC in several cities in the Metro-Detroit area, I haven't had the best luck with spydie holes and gloves. I think flippers would do the trick for opening, but many frame locks and liner locks get to be a nuisance. The best I've found so far is a CS goldeneye, which is another really nice knife.

I suppose that's where some of the small fixed blades are really nice though. Not much need to finagle with locks and opening mechanisms there.

The Native fills the palm and is another perfect EDC. I love the way it feels, yet I never carry mine. I think its because I like flattish scales. Not to infringe on IP, but you should design a fixed blade with that all encompassing beautiful Milli handle. It's neutral grip positions really make that knife comfortable in any grip. I even got over the tip down thing with it.

Back