The K390 Thread - Photos and Experiences

SRIg7HI.jpg

Both k390 delica and endela, also zdp endura I got can scratch glass with spine of the blade. Beer bottles, etc I even scratched IPhone glass with them. I think it means it's over 65 HRC. I saw some Russians do it on YouTube and say that, but nowhere else have I seen or heard of people doing it.
I invite whoever has a pm2 in k390 try this test. Think the pm2 is lower hardness and won't do it.
hhyMSmj.jpg

The color is a bit enhanced :)

I'm on the hunt for second market k390 pm2 so I can join the club!

I sharpened up my K390 Endura and my Vg 10 Endura to the same geometry and on the same guided system not specifically to test them but because it was time to sharpen them. Both are what I consider easy to sharpen. Not having to chase rubbery burrs and crumbling apex are the things I don't like . I don't consider one steel having greater wear resistance troublesome as it's an attribute of the steel itself.

I did notice one thing. The K390 bites better on skin and nails which are some of the ways I judge the edges I put on my knives. I've heard others explain it as "sticky" sharp and I can understand why. I keep my knives waxed and clean so one steel performs the same as the other corrosion wise. If I do what I'm supposed to neither will rust and if I don't both will corrode.

The more I use K390 the more I like it. Without using it it's just another shiny steel. In use right there at the edge it really begins to stand out from the others. I'm really glad and I completely understand why the Spyderco team selected it despite having all these other wonderful knife steels.

Joe

Only have one knife in k390. Love the steel. Been keeping an eye on the exchange for a user para 3 but have been too slow so far. Even if I never land it, wouldn't be too bummed. I've got the LW in rex45 that I've been very happy with.

Wouldn't mind whatsoever if Spyderco made a Phil Wilson model in this steel.

We've got quite a few models and variations planned for K390. It was my project and it took years to get where we are, but I think the afi's will enjoy playing with this particular chemistry. BU hit a home run with this stuff, in my opinion.

I'm carrying the P4, and I will say pay attention to corrosion.

sal

9Qvuz2ml.jpg

I swapped out the gray flat slabs on my PM 2 for some 3D milled CF scales from Aramis. Dangit if this ain't about the perfect knife now! So much so that I wish Spyderco would develop some contoured scales for the PM 2.

Another point in favor of the K390... this is the only PM 2 that I have not broken the very end of the tip on. At one point I swore off the model because I've never had good luck with the tip. I break every one somehow. Not this one. Still the very fine tip from the factory, even after several sharpenings.

We've got quite a few models and variations planned for K390. It was my project and it took years to get where we are, but I think the afi's will enjoy playing with this particular chemistry. BU hit a home run with this stuff, in my opinion.

sal

Sal,

Thanks for commenting this. That's great news to hear! Police 4 is in my pocket today as well. It's become a favorite lately.

Not that the Police 4 needs
The P4 is large enough to cut a sandwich in half without gunking up the pivot.

sal

Sal,

I really enjoyed reading the Spyderco Byte in February about the P4. I liked the K390 version so much I've now ordered the VG10 version and the KC Exclusive Hap40 version. The tweaks you made for the 4th revision have now made my perfect EDC knife.

While the “old-school” Police Model continued its reign, in 2008, it was joined by the Police 3, which was very similar in design, but boasted a number of key differences. It featured full stainless steel liners, high-traction textured G-10 scales, a four-position pocket clip, and a broad, full-flat-ground VG-10 stainless steel blade with an index-finger choil. That knife also earned a devoted audience—and some strong customer feedback that ultimately led to the even more refined Police 4, which Sal Glesser admittedly tuned to meet the needs of a broader audience than law enforcement officers alone. According to Sal, “I designed the Police 4 to include what I would like in a knife, more than what a LEO might like. It's still a kissing cousin, and large for most people. I widened the blade, enlarged the hole and selected a steel that I like to use.”

sal

Sal, thank you for putting in the time and effort to make these models available. So far I'm really enjoying the steel and don't mind a little surface rust.

Is there a chance any of the other models in the pipeline are fixed blades? Regardless, I'm excited to find out what you have in store.

- Will

Sal, thank you for putting in the time and effort to make these models available. So far I'm really enjoying the steel and don't mind a little surface rust.

Is there a chance any of the other models in the pipeline are fixed blades? Regardless, I'm excited to find out what you have in store.

- Will

I'll second this. 5 - 6 inch fixed blade in K390 would be ideal.

I swapped out the gray flat slabs on my PM 2 for some 3D milled CF scales from Aramis. Dangit if this ain't about the perfect knife now! So much so that I wish Spyderco would develop some contoured scales for the PM 2.
Those scales do look really good and look like they would provide great feel if you have to use the knife for any extended time. I like flat scales for in the pocket, but in hand they suck.

Back