The Kents of Bonanza

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
It's one of my all time favorite shows, and I have an episode waiting for me on my DVR every day.
One thing I've noticed is the almost exclusive use of the Kent pattern axe and hatchet seen throughout the show, and it got me thinking.

Is the Kent pattern a historically accurate choice here for 1860's-1870's Nevada ?

Accuracy is not exactly the strong suit of many western TV shows after all.
Historically nonexistent leather vests, full button shirts that didn't exist till about turn of the century, 60's Italian switchblades, lots of surplus Cat 225Q's and common 225Q's German imports, and on gunsmoke the default axe seems to be a common 50's-60's Michigan.

For some reason the Kent seems a bit more appropriate as if they might have done a bit of reaserch, but it doesn't exactly seem to be the most common axe pattern out there.

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
I was just watching the 1969 classic Sam Whiskey, and they use the Kent pattern as well.

I really wonder what the reason was for the common use of Kents in westerns.
It couldn't have been for historical realism, they certainly didn't care when it comes to knives and shirts.

As long as the head wasn't painted red or you didn't see a TT rocket hatchet or something, the average person wouldn't think twice.