The Kephart is here!

Bladite has a good point about Camping and Woodcraft....This book is one revelation after another. It is well written, although some of the language is a bit out of date but the number of real gems contained therein are numerous. I had the great good luck to see and hold some of the notes for the original manuscript and his attention to detail was truly incredible.... Libby Kephart Hargrave has insisted that the new edition be sold only through the Park so that all the proceeds will go to support Kep’s “real’ legacy which is the most visited park in the U.S.

One of my favorite parts of C&W is his piece on the compass.... One of the best pieces of outdoor writing ever....I have one in my pocket as we speak..... The thing always to remember is how much he LIVED what he wrote about..... His background as an academic in this case is a great boon as his library science experience enabled him to organize the vast amount of info the book contains and integrate it with his vast experience in a rational and useful manner.

Enjoy...

i would also suggest y'all learn how to buy "old books" :D

one of my greatest joys is trying to find good clean copies of original old books. internet, yo? but it goes beyond that.

if you buy this knife, it's practically *required* you hit the Smokey Mountain Park Museum to buy an official reproduction of the Kephart book.

though if you are cool, you find a way to buy one of the original printings from back in the day.

if you score a first printing, we have to talk :D

Internet-yo.

Etsy has a couple old ones - like 1908 and 1924. If you are made of money.
There's a 1988 edition out there at a fair price.

"Photographic reproduction" of 1906 edition seems to be a thing. Several sources.

Undecided which way to go.

whichever you go with ... it's worth the read ... as Ethan eluded it's detailed and you can get lost and a few hours pass by before you realise you're sitting on the porch reading it not walking beside him.

Anyone that loves the outdoors should have this on their list to buy and read ... I can't tell you how many times I've given it to a friend and none have ever returned it without having a long conversation.

I definitely need to purchase a copy of Camping and Woodcraft.

That is interesting. :thumbsup:

There are more than a few rare, out-of-print books that contain gems of all sorts. One comes to mind for the rifle men and women out there called "White Feather" by the brothers Roy F. Chandler and Norman A. Chandler; subtitled 'Carlos Hathcock USMC Scout Sniper'. It is the story of the Arkansas native's life and military service during the Vietnam war. Real tough to find that one.

One other is "The Life and Adventures of George Nidever" [1802~1883] as dictated to E.F. Murray. An early California pioneer from east Tennessee, George hunted and trapped extensively through the Channel Islands for otter, and discovered the last native of San Miguel Island, a woman, living alone there for 18 years.

I will keep on the look out Dubz.
Thanks man. I have the pdf of the 1906 version, but would rather read it from an actual book, especially at the cabin.

Internet-yo.

Etsy has a couple old ones - like 1908 and 1924. If you are made of money.
There's a 1988 edition out there at a fair price.

"Photographic reproduction" of 1906 edition seems to be a thing. Several sources.

Undecided which way to go.

i have a post on some editions. some are to be HEAVILY avoided.

the one from the museum is the best reproduction. modern heavy paper, it's a nice book. plus it supports the part. imho, this is the only modern one to buy now.

at least one of the photographic repros is so big, you could stun an elk with one. another modern repro is INCOMPLETE (missing key chapters - for size? i don't know). just avoid those. hit the museum, easy!

the old old old ones had "onion thing paper" like some old bibles. made for a compact read, but still everything there. my "reader" copy is 1942, and i have a 1957 and a 1960. those are 50 thicker than the 1942. i the vault is a 1924, pristine :D an original would be nice. i'll find it, and for $30 or less ;)

The above link is sold out.
I googled the book and Abe’s was the cheapest I found.

i'm sure it was a one off. it's possible to get them off amazon, but you have to be more tricky about searching.

honestly, the smoky mountain one is an excellent bet if you don't need the original.

I have an order pending through Smoky Mountain; I trust your advice this once. o_O Just don't get too used to it. o_O

:D

Last edited:
I notice that Mr. Kephart has a few other publications on the market. I am curious about cultural variations having visited the southeastern U.S. and passed through the eastern seaboard in my younger days. So, I sent away for "Our Southern Highlanders" also. Finding reading time will be tricky.... :D

Back