The knife lifestyle pops up in GQ mag

cchu518

Basic Member
I was waiting for my wife at her spa salon as she was finishing up her ridiculously expensive haircut.

As I waited I was flipping through GQ and noticed the lifestyle article and the inclusion of a brand that I didn't recognize the James, ti handles and D2, $275. Design was ok at best not earth shattering.

20170506_165559.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Interesting to see knives make it into a style magazine.

didnt know knives were a lifestyle. thought they were tools used to cut stuff. shows how out of touch i am.

Partially serrated blade- for marshmallow bags and Amazon Prime boxes. Another new camping concept - the whiskey flask. Because no one ever thought to drink alcohol in the open air. Glad some marketing departments are trying to educate a new generation of image-conscious men on how to camp out, with the appropriately name-branded overpriced gear, of course.

I'd opt for the Snow Peak Titanium Flask.

It says "lifestyle" to me a bit more than the knife does.

As in "I have more money than sense" style of lifestyle.

Anybody hunt down the knife website and watch the video? Lots of dudes talking about brands, packaging and stories. No knife is made though there is a panning shot of what appears to be a knife assembly workbench.

At one point a guy says something along the lines of "a lot of people like the packaging more than the knives themselves which I think is awesome."

I kid you not.

Anybody hunt down the knife website and watch the video? Lots of dudes talking about brands, packaging and stories
Since you suggested it, I did so. That was the most pretentious, self-absorbed bunch of hipster-esque marketing drivel I have ever heard. It almost came across that they invented the concept of a knife.

I can't believe any humans who live in the real world talk and think like that. But apparently so. Company is based in Portland, Oregon. Not sure if that is germane or not.

I never knew they wore polyester in the days that atlatl throwing arrows were used.

Did anybody say hipster ?

This knife reminds me of some other stupid looking knife being marketed in a similar way. It was designed by a Skateboarder and called The Striker Folding Knife. Just like TheJamesDesign it looks like minimal thought was put into the entirely rectangular design. Also there was no indication the knives were not manufactured in China which means the knives were not being made on Mars.

However for the rediculous price you got to be part of the cool hipster in crowd who's knife is largely an accessory.

So they got Khal Drogo posing next to a random knife. If only it was a Spyderco....

Best entry level brand it would seem, based solely on materials and F&F. Now that would be solid to advertise to the normal people.

If Williams knife company ever gets in there I'm going to be writing to the editor.

12$? They are selling on The James Brand website for 150$. I don't know how or if they are being faked, but until I see evidence to the contrary I believe JamesBrand knives are coming off Chinese factory lines.

Since you suggested it, I did so. That was the most pretentious, self-absorbed bunch of hipster-esque marketing drivel I have ever heard. It almost came across that they invented the concept of a knife.

I can't believe any humans who live in the real world talk and think like that. But apparently so. Company is based in Portland, Oregon. Not sure if that is germane or not.

From what I heard about Portland, it is very germane...

Gaston

I bet for 12 bucks you got the knife in an envelope. Apparently people like the packaging better than the knife so they're probably using 130 dollar packaging on the 150 dollar listed on their site. I guess that leaves 8 bucks for beer, probably Pabst.

The James Brand has been around for a few years, they are more marketing than knife making. While not the best bang for your buck, getting into GQ magazine is a big deal. I guarantee that a handful of guys are going to be 20 knives and 1000 posts deep on Bladeforums someday because of that specific article and picture. We all start somewhere....

Back