The knife that will do everything?

Not if you're above the tree line there isn't. At that point you'd better have a Leatherman Micra and an Opinel or it's curtains!

That's A whole different discussion. Your essentially rock climbing at that point and better have an alcohol stove or burner. Ill pass though!!! Not A fan of the constant BREEZE that tend to rule up there.. Gimme the woods please!!

That's A whole different discussion. Your essentially rock climbing at that point and better have an alcohol stove or burner. Ill pass though!!! Not A fan of the constant BREEZE that tend to rule up there.. Gimme the woods please!!
There is an old joke on BF concerning the treeline and those two items! ;) But you are dead right. No fire, no stove, just a jet boiler or similar. Into the tent at dusk and have fun going out for a slash before dawn..! This one was breezy - it freaked my son out a bit at first.
Xl4iHZ6.jpg

There is an old joke on BF concerning the treeline and those two items! ;) But you are dead right. No fire, no stove, just a jet boiler or similar. Into the tent at dusk and have fun going out for a slash before dawn..! This one was breezy - it freaked my son out a bit at first.
Xl4iHZ6.jpg

Jeez, even the grass cant stand up straight from the wind!! Count me out!!!

When I was a kid, a bunch of us would fool around playing "mountain man" in the little wooded area at the end of the street.
We'd use our hatchets to chop down trees & to cut firewood.

Fast forward a dozen plus years to Christmas time - the first Christmas my ex took off to "find herself" & left me and the two kids behind. I wanted to treat the kids to something special - such as a real tree we went into the woods & cut down. There was a Christmas tree farm that offered that, so, off we went - me with my hatchet in hand.
The guy working there laughed & tools me the hatchet was more trouble that it was worth & handed me a bow saw.
I was sort of disappointed until I used it.

Ya'll can keep your fancy hatchets. Me? I'm finding some way to pack in a bow saw ;)
Saws are wonderfully efficient , but can't do many chores that an axe / hatchet can and certainly can't replace a knife . :(

I think any of my edc knives would fare well if such an occasion needed.

Maybe a little off topic but have you noticed from that pen and ink drawing of Nessmuk he seems to be carrying his famous knife on the back of his shooting pouch. No one has known for sure what the blade length on his knife was but I'm wondering if it might be shorter than most of us think.

Could be but it doesn't look very large in the drawing.
The drawing was a portrait .

The emphasis of the artist would have been to show the man's character , not the length of his knife .

In reality the knife may may have extended beyond the pouch , but not drawn in because that area was fading to background ...not a focal point .

From this drawing of his knives and hatchet, the fixed blade seems about the size of a Marbles Woodcraft or slightly smaller. The folding knife is a moose pattern, the handle of which is a bit over 4" in length for scale.

BDos2mMl.jpg

9U9pbF8l.jpg
If carrying a hatchet for chopping , no real reason to have a knife blade longer than 4-5 " , IMO . Seems reasonable .

If someone has a vehicle to carry their tools for them then they can pretty much take anything they want. But those who pack everything in usually try to keep weight and bulk to a minimum, while not compromising their safety, especially considering that an emergency or survival situation could happen.

I have a few hatchets, but they are too heavy and bulky to carry in a pack, at least for me. They are also pretty much limited to chopping. A big knife (~10" blade or longer) with a finger choil is much easier to carry and much more versatile, able to chop wood as well as do more delicate tasks such as game and food prep, which I wouldn't want to do with a hatchet.

Since edged tools are so vital in a forest wilderness, I also usually carry a 4.5" blade and multi-tool, but I wouldn't want to chop wood with these. For a do-everything tool that is fairly easy to carry I haven't found anything better than a big knife.

Saws are nice for processing wood and have their place. I carry one in my truck but not in my pack. I've bent too many saw blades to bet my life on one. Even more than a hatchet, they are a one-purpose tool and eventually need sharpening, which most people don't seem to think about.

I have a few hatchets, but they are too heavy and bulky to carry in a pack, at least for me. They are also pretty much limited to chopping. A big knife (~10" blade or longer) with a finger choil is much easier to carry and much more versatile, able to chop wood as well as do more delicate tasks such as game and food prep, which I wouldn't want to do with a hatchet.
You are using the wrong hatchet. The Two Hawks double bit above weighs about a pound and it is quite functional. The GB Mini belt hatchet weights about 11 oz, same as a Randall Model 1. Its small enough that you can do a lot of things with it that you could do with a knife, including food prep. It chops far better than any knife could, and as well as some larger hatchets. The double bit in the Nesmuk engraving seems to be about the same size as the TwoHawks hatchet but made with a shorter handle, so its probably about 14 oz or so, still lighter than many large knives.

Xl4iHZ6.jpg
ok, i gotta ask...what was the joke?

ok, i gotta ask...what was the joke?
There was a member here that swore by carrying an Opinel 9 and a Leatherman Micra to the point that he would recommend them even if they made no sense in the context of the conversation. "What do you think the strongest folding knife is?" "Opinel 9." "What's gentleman's folder should I gift my father?" "Leatherman Micra", etc. Any question asked would be answered that way along with the exact same picture of the aforementioned tools on a mossy rock. He was also fond of telling people ad nauseum that he camped above the treeline.

There was a member here that swore by carrying an Opinel 9 and a Leatherman Micra to the point that he would recommend them even if they made no sense in the context of the conversation. "What do you think the strongest folding knife is?" "Opinel 9." "What's gentleman's folder should I gift my father?" "Leatherman Micra", etc. Any question asked would be answered that way along with the exact same picture of the aforementioned tools on a mossy rock. He was also fond of telling people ad nauseum that he camped above the treeline.
Cool, thanks. I've never camped above treeline but if I do, I will be sure to bring my Opinel 13 for chopping all those above-treeline trees
20210203_145544.jpg

Back