The Knives of Guillaume Ducasse (French) - Photos & Discussion

Sharp & Fiery

Keep ‘em Sharp
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This thread is meant to shed some light on the knives of Guillaume Ducasse and his skills as a French maker. Photos and comments/questions are encouraged.

I own two beautiful knives from @Ducasse Guillaume, the Capricorne and the Oryx. This story is about the Knife on the right, the Oryx.
A96A0623-E32A-425E-B779-1D8E2F923E48.jpeg
I inquired about Guillaume building me a tail-lock to my specifications, and he was open and available with his communication. After much back & forth regarding details and drawings of this built, I commissioned this interframe tail-lock about 7 months ago.
Please keep in mind that this is a prototype, and there a couple bugs to work out. I will be getting into that shortly.

There comes, but once in a while, a knifemaker who really takes pride in his work. And this shows through the finish of Ducasse’s knives.

Guillaume’s knives are all handmade...and this Oryx is no different. I wanted horn tip as inlays, and an interframe tail lock. Those were my two biggest requests. He got to sketching, and after a while of disscussion and changes, we settled on the Oryx’ shape.

The Zebu horn tip that was chosen was the right touch for this slim and sleek design. It has a ton of character, and really sets the tone.
DA6BAC94-78FC-454E-AE39-E3A434C44417.jpeg
3941D552-4899-4396-902B-0325F3AD54F2.jpeg
This Oryx is slim, sleek, stunning and sexy. The lines flow well and the inlay pocket shapes were painstakingly chosen to fit the lines of the knife.
898896AB-1846-4009-959D-C7344C6A38A1.jpeg
952C6224-B882-4E64-80A6-6B4AFEBB9E5A.jpeg
I pushed Guillaume outside of his comfort zone with the hidden pin construction, so this was a first for him. The face of the knife has a blended pivot pin and a proprietary screw on the opposite side. Guillaume also provides a tool for disassembly. Also inlayed with horn tip.

I requested the lockbar to be a single piece and Guillaume took this to heart. He got it done. Slightly set inside the sides of the scales and just perfect for my liking.
BD068596-517B-4A63-90B9-707F8A370C3E.jpeg
The blade is a work of art, hand ground, so not without its little quirks. It is made from Sandvik 14C28N, which is a favorite of mine. His edge is beautiful and sharp! Which is a huge plus. The shape is perfect, and the blade “drop” where the blade intersects the handle makes this knife all the more useful. Since the Capricorne, Guillaume has really been dialing in his swedge grinds, which I am very pleased about.
The tip of the blade is ultra pointy, and great for detailed work. The milled pull slot is a great touch and mirrored on opposite side for ambidextrous opening.
The blade is a beautiful satin/grind and mirrored flats finish.
8048E58D-3EBD-4B13-92DC-4671CC36ACB2.jpeg
7AFC24DE-8521-4F3E-8B62-E1987B5FE6A0.jpeg

The backspacer has a grooved channel for the blade edge to sit in, and the blade is centered. The finish on the Oryx is just phenomenal as always, and the hand chamfers are beautiful.
5A4E0F72-10D5-4B97-BB4D-66DC5387A0AF.jpeg

The assembled Oryx prototype is not without its quirks tho. Assembled, a couple spots are not completely tight, but nothing to complain about. The lockup, well, it needs some work. There is some slight side/side play, and since we used phosphor bronze washers, this should be able to be eliminated. I would like to see my next with a pivot bushing.
There is also some up/down play which we believe is due to a weak lock spring. This is in the works of being worked out for the next one he makes. Its the amount of play on a $250 Case lockback...which shouldnt be present on a custom. The spring being weak causes the blade to not “spring” closed. I actually dont mind this, and when closed is still held quite well in its closed position. This is a proto, so I will see how much dedication he has to correct this with the next build.

One thing I really enjoyed about this build, is that Guillaume is very open to learning something new, and puts his heart into it. It must be said, that he wasn’t completely happy with the finished Oryx, but I wanted him to send it to me anyways, and Im glad I did. I will support newer makers, who show great potential and willingness be become the best. This is Guillaume.

Summed up, the Oryx is a very very promising design. It is streamlined, beautiful, functional and extremely comfortable in hand. A modern gentleman’s knife in the style of Ron Lake. Check out his stuff, he is going places.

Specs

Blade length is 3.25”
Blade steel is Sandvik 14C28N
Handle length is 3 3/8”
Inlays are Zebu horn tip
Scale material is hardened stainless steel

I hope you enjoyed this review as much as I liked writing it. And please, post your photos of Ducasse knives with your thoughts.

Keep ‘em Sharp

*mods, im not sure where you want this thread. If this is not the appropriate forum, please move to correct one.

Last edited:

WValtakis

Hand Engraving, Ti anodizing, and mods
Great write up Coleman! :thumbsup: Could have gone in Customs & Handmade...but probably more exposure here in GKD:) Oh, the knives ain't bad either, even if the frames are a little plain:p;)

Sharp & Fiery

Keep ‘em Sharp
Great write up Coleman! :thumbsup: Could have gone in Customs & Handmade...but probably more exposure here in GKD:) Oh, the knives ain't bad either, even if the frames are a little plain:p;)

Thanks, Chip! I did toy with the idea of having some engraving done by you on the scales before hardening, but decided to just leave it slim and sleek, and have the horn as the focal point. :D

Sharp & Fiery

Keep ‘em Sharp

Sharp & Fiery

Keep ‘em Sharp
At the moment I am crafting a slip sheath for the Oryx...similar to the one I made for the Capricorne. I will post photos of the finished sheath.

Also, if there is interest in a writeup on the Capricorne, I will do that here as well. It takes a little bit of time, so let me know if you are interested.

Âchillepattada

Gold Member
Very nice and elegant knife. Congratulation !
Thanks a lot for the presentation .
I've recently discovered his work and I'm impressed .
He makes some automatic knives very impressive .
They remind me the system used by Jurgen Steinau

IMG_2597+%287%29.JPG

IMG-2565-3.jpg

Â

RayseM

Gold Member
GEEZ - I can't believe I haven't posted mine here o_O

This one AIGRETTE, aka EGRET, made by request to somewhat my specs. though fully controlled by the maker who needs no guidance. He is a MASTER. He worked out the bugs while building the ORYX for Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery ;) because mine is flawless - save for a microscopic crack in one of the MOP tiles - the beauty of natural materials.

Just over 3" 14c28n blade , MOP tiles and a lock front/back. Heavy stainless body and a beautifully solid folder.

Egret-Posing-.jpg

Egret-folded-II.jpg

In its element :)

Aigrette-posing-II.jpg

Here is the sheath I had made for mine by a very excellent ETSY maker. This is s fine leather work as I have ever handled and is just perfect for EGRET.

Aigrette-sheath-BIG-VERSION.jpg

Last edited:

Sharp & Fiery

Keep ‘em Sharp
GEEZ - I can't believe I haven't posted mine here o_O

This one AIGRETTE, aka EGRET, made by request to somewhat my specs. though fully controlled by the maker who needs no guidance. He is a MASTER. He worked out the bugs while building the ORYX for Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery ;) because mine is flawless - save for a microscopic crack in one of the MOP tiles - the beauty of natural materials.

Just over 3" 14c28n blade , MOP tiles and a lock front/back. Heavy stainless body and a beautifully solid folder.

View attachment 1438572

View attachment 1438573

In its element :)

View attachment 1438574

Here is the sheath I had made for mine by a very excellent ETSY maker. This is s fine leather work as I have ever handled and is just perfect for EGRET.

View attachment 1438577

Ray, your knife is exquisite in everyway. So glad you are pleased. The sheath is also very nice and now you have me intrigued. Haha.

Congrats on such a beautiful piece.

Sharp & Fiery

Keep ‘em Sharp
An update...

After working out details for almost a year (well worth it), I would like to introduce to you all, the Bail Lock by Guillaume Ducasse.
It is extremely similar to the Oryx, but the refinements are astounding.
E70F67B2-6918-40DA-90B4-B95897A64762.jpeg
I don’t even know where to start...I just don’t have words. Lets start with the scales...the scales have polished chamfers that match perfectly on both sides...the flats of the scales are high satin, and the chamfers really stand out beautifully. The lock bar is perfectly mated between the scales with zero gaps. :) The scales are also contoured front to rear, and from top to bottom. Just fantastic!

The Purple pearl inlay is cut and laid in with zero space and perfectly flush to the steel. I love the Purple pearl...it is just beautiful and morphs between a dark maroon purple and black in different light and at different angles. Guillaume really nailed the choosing of the inlay and the execution. It is phenominal.
C38F67CF-0880-4689-9E62-09289AFA9F8F.jpeg
BDE7156A-6C54-41A9-AD30-2BCDDCF98C37.jpeg
We went with a tanto styled blade this time, with a full length swedge. The nail nick cutout tapers and matches the style of this blade.
Guillaume really took my suggestion to try the bushing pivot and included it on the Bail Lock. What a smoooooth action on this lockback! Guillaume did a fantastic job on the bushing pivot. The lockup is solid and their is no play in any direction. The pivot screw is also a new design of his. :) The pull on this is light but cannot be shaken open, and the blade snaps shut with ease and control.
When closed the blade is perfectly centered.

The finish of the entire knife is all so so so smooth and silky. It feels fabulous in hand and I can’t wait to slide this in my pocket for use.
A9C40501-5CCE-4E5D-8BC3-CF7F4B646C50.jpeg
This particular Bail Lock is hidden pin construction (a surprise for me)...and I love how there are no screws to hinder the lines of the knife. Just like his previous knives, this is slim, sleek, sexy and superb.

Here are a couple outdoor shots of the Purple pearl’s brilliance.
904DCD54-9696-4681-A13C-2F0614CEFF40.jpeg 96E82DC9-E116-41E1-860D-F8743034FC90.jpeg

Guillaume really took this build to heart...from the hidden pins, to the satin/polish finish on the scales and the spine, bushing pivot and inlays, he really surprised me with all the perfect and subtle touches that he knew I would like. All the way to the bail...
5E226E2D-9000-4345-B152-8615B2D82A5C.jpeg
He engraved his name in the bail, and inlayed it with 18K gold. A very nice touch, and a show of his class.

I am so very thrilled with the way this one turned out...thank you, my friend. I very much appreciate your time and friendship.

1FC1C08B-7DB3-4550-BDC7-F98D1B4DC63D.jpeg

Specs:

Blade: RWL-34
Handle: Hardened stainless steel
Inlays: Purple pearl
Bail: Engraved & 18K Gold inlay
Finish: High Polish and High Satin
Lock: Bail system
Pivot: Bushing and PB washers
Blade length: 3.25”

One last photo...the trifecta. Haha
0955930D-C21F-40C9-8A2B-DC7426E769DE.jpeg

@Ducasse Guillaume

Last edited:

RayseM

Gold Member
Spectacular - worthy of MOMA but perfectly placed in your pocket Coleman! :thumbsup: Guillaume's meticulous attention to detail and his nuanced refinements puts him in an elite class of folder makers. Your appreciation is a tribute, equal to his skill. Glad you pursued another. I'm a bit envious too. ;)

Congratulations!

Last edited:

Sharp & Fiery

Keep ‘em Sharp
Spectacular - worthy of MOMA but perfectly placed in your pocket Coleman! :thumbsup: Guillaume's meticulous attention to detail and his nuanced refinements puts him in an elite class of folder makers. Your appreciation is a tribute, equal to his skill. Glad you pursued another. I'm a bit envious too. ;)

Congratulations!

Ray, sir, this knife is phenominal. Guillaume has stepped up his game 1000% since my last one, which I didn’t even know could be possible. This young pup is going places. He’s got a new knife design in the works, and I gotta say, it’s pretty killer. Can’t wait to see the first one produced.
Thank you for your kind words. We gotta chat again soon. It’s been too long.

Immaculate is the only description that comes to my mind!! Enjoy and thanks for sharing.

James

Thank you for the kind words, James. It’s a beauty. Check him out.

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC