The Knucklebuster Khukuri- Does it still Deserve a Place in our Catalogue?

Kailash Blades

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
We recently made one of our knucklebusters, this time with a very cool acid wash and with a micarta handle. This D guard khukuri has been in our catalogue since day one.
However it's never been much of a seller.

m3u31o6e6gq71.jpg

This could be explained via multiple means. Khukuris are niche blades by themselves and to a degree so are all our modern khukuris. For that blade to also be a broad,hefty chopper AND a D guard blade might just be pushing the blade into too small a corner. From a business point of view our product lineup page is hot real estate. For a blade to earn that spot there it should be able to earn it.

3e9luvfe6gq71.jpg

At the same time though we do a lot of customs with a guard like this, so it clearly acts as inspiration or a drawcard to a certain kind of buyer. Maybe if we didn't have this so visible in our product lineup we'd miss out on those opportunities?

Maybe instead what it needs is a redesign? it's quite a simple, clean design that lets the scale and features of the blade do the talking. Maybe if it had a bit more flair and sizzle people would opt for it over a scourge anniversary or a tin chirra.

4668qyoe6gq71.jpg

We're commonly told that something customers love about us is the ability to have so many options. However as someone who has worked in online, physical retail and design sectors I feel like choice is a double edged sword. While choice can be liberating and free up options and pathways you didn't previously know were available it can also be paralysing. Having a wide range of options creates a more complex situation for a buyer to overcome when picking a knife. As that barrier rises higher some customers won't be able to get over it and will lose interest, delay the decision and get distracted and be lost. As said previously our product lineup page is hot real estate. Maybe not having it at all creates a more focused and streamlined experience for a visitor.

rh5wa7se6gq71.jpg

This is further complicated by our custom capabilities. When all is running well, there are so many other options and blades and styles available through there just out of reach. Removing it from our catalogue wouldn't necessarily restrict the options available, just make it a bit less... prominent?

What do you guys think? As a consumer what would you prefer? What about if you were in my shoes calling the shots?
Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash

Last edited:
I like that guard. The knife may be too stout to be popular but I could see requesting that on other blades I like. Why not feature popular "off catalogue" customizations on your site so that it doesn't clutter the ordering page of each individual knife? Show closeup photos of different guards, handle styles, etc? You can rotate the customizations all in one place however you see fit.

RMK does this rather well in their "Extra Features" page while having a dinosaur of an e-store.
On 2nd look their site isn't the dinosaur I remembered. But they organize customizations very well across many catalog models!

Last edited:

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
I bet the Wing Chun crowd would be all over these, probably even buy them in pairs. ;)

I must admit this one hasn't really caught my eye... something awkward looking about it. When you mentioned that the Regent Khukuri wasn't a big mover, I grabbed it fairly quickly, thinking it may experience the same fate. By the way, I really like it and plan on at least another one of the Regents.

Kailash Blades

Always nice to have the option.

I do prefer a bir more knuckle clearance between d guard and my fingers.

Noted! In this in hand photo it definitely is looking a bit cramped. Do you feel there's a negative tradeoff to having the guard further away? In terms of it becoming more obtrusive for cramped spaces and getting tangled etc?

I have always found such guards to limit blade use.
If I was sabre fighting they are useful, but I just don't do much of that.

I felt the same way about these guards for some time- we do hear from customers that insist on them for brush clearing purposes though. I think these customers find that they protect the hand from branche while chopping or while the branches are bouncing backwards, allowing for a more aggressive and carefree style. I've not had much luck though- I find myself clearing brush mostly with the tip of a blade and with my hand out of harms way.

I bet the Wing Chun crowd would be all over these, probably even buy them in pairs. ;)

Definitely some butterfly knife vibes!

I like that guard. The knife may be too stout to be popular but I could see requesting that on other blades I like. Why not feature popular "off catalogue" customizations on your site so that it doesn't clutter the ordering page of each individual knife? Show closeup photos of different guards, handle styles, etc? You can rotate the customizations all in one place however you see fit.

RMK does this rather well in their "Extra Features" page while having a dinosaur of an e-store.
On 2nd look their site isn't the dinosaur I remembered. But they organize customizations very well across many catalog models!

Randall are a great example of how to do semi custom neatly while keeping a broad range of options. I think we do have a broader range of options over a broader range of blade styles which makes things a bit more complex- however the format could definitely work out for us. Might be a project for future.

I must admit this one hasn't really caught my eye... something awkward looking about it. When you mentioned that the Regent Khukuri wasn't a big mover, I grabbed it fairly quickly, thinking it may experience the same fate. By the way, I really like it and plan on at least another one of the Regents.

True- it's the least khukuri like of anything that we'd name a khukuri and I think has a bit of a clunky look as a result. At the same time though I feel the look communicates the feel of the blade well- it's a big, rough beast of a thing.
So glad to hear you're liking your regent! I've always loved these and my long knife still gets more use than any other blade I own.
Take care,
Andrew