1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

The large sebenza opening sound.

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by SVTFreak, Aug 14, 2012.

1. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Never heard a knife (or a sound period) quite like it. A metallic "clank"

Just an observation.

2. JPR984

JPR984

Aug 4, 2010
    Agree! That sound is the reason I am obsessed with opening and closing it till my thumbs are sore. I live for the noise..

3. burnside

burnside

May 30, 2012
    I do admit a love of the opening and closing sounds of my Sebenza.

4. Desert Hermit

Desert Hermit

Jan 25, 2012
    ;) Agreed. Just one more thing to love about a Sebenza. :thumbup:

5. rolexkid

rolexkid

Jul 14, 2006
    the mnandi sounds great also!

6. jwolf90

jwolf90

Oct 17, 2011
    AGREED love it :thumbup:

7. Steel_Addiction

Steel_Addiction Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Gets me goin!

8. experimentjon

experimentjon

Jan 24, 2010
    Now that I have a small to complement the large, it's nice hearing the difference between them. The large definitely sounds better with the authoritative "clank" rather than the small which is more like a nervous "clink". (Still love the small though).

9. LeonardShelby

LeonardShelby

Mar 25, 2011
    Whenever my small sebbie loses the clanking sound, and gets more of a dull thud, I know it's time to clean it.

10. hondahirny

hondahirny

Apr 2, 2012
    Love that sound also. The large Sebbie does a better job than the small.

Must say though, my favorite sound is that of a 12ga shotgun being operated. Only because you know the big boom comes next. The clay pigeons didn't have a chance... :D

11. Desert Hermit

Desert Hermit

Jan 25, 2012
    lol Gotta agree with that. :thumbup:
    Wishing you a Large Sebbie and 100 Straight. :D

12. burnside

burnside

May 30, 2012
    My large Sebbe makes a better opening 'clank' sound than my small sebbe, but the small makes a better closing 'tink' or 'clink' sound than the large.

I also think the opening sound is more of an authoritative 'CLICK' sound than a 'clank' sound. It has more of a bassy 'clock' or 'clunk' sound than a klinky 'clank' sound. Kind of hard to put into words, but we all know the sound and it's a good sound.

edit: after opening a few more times, I think the opening sound on my large regular is a 'CLACK' sound (this might all depend on the weather).

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  13. arskrg

arskrg Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2011
    I think I kind of prefer the small's closing clink to the opening clank. Does that make me weird?
    I think it's because of the dozens and dozens of different knives I've owned prior I've never had one that made that particular sound...

14. AKWILD

AKWILD

Nov 13, 2011
    My large carbon fiber sounded a little off. But love the sebbie. ;)

15. RiverRat84

RiverRat84 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2011
    It's amazing that what brings a smile to our faces annoys the crap put of others!:D

Can't tell you how many times I've heard "are you just gonna click that thing all day?!"

On a related note, the Umnumzaan is pretty silent. Must be the rubber rings on the thumb studs? Solid "clack" when its closed though!

16. BladeChick777

BladeChick777

Jun 20, 2011
    To me.. when you open the Large Sebenza it makes a "CLICK" and when you close it the sound is a less noisy "Clack". I love it.