Off Topic The Last Alaskans

littlehoot

Gold Member
Does anyone watch the show?

Sitting here watching reruns for probably the thousandth time, still as compelling as the first.

Visually stunning, and interesting people with great character.

Thoughts?

I haven’t seen it, but I know that Heimo Korth and his family is featured, and I saw a very cool feature about them from Vice not long ago. I’ve also recently bought a book about them and looking forward to reading it. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Anyway, seems like a great show but I don’t have cable. :oops:

Great show watch it all the time....it's just so beautiful and open up there..love to get out that way sometime!

Never heard of it till this thread. Watched the first episode last night. I was very impressed with the camera work, scenery, and that the characters seemed real and not acting for the camera like most shows in this genre. Thank you for enlightening me to this great show.

Think I’ve seen a preview maybe seems familiar but I’ve never watched it I don’t believe. Guess I’ll have to check it out sometime.

Heimo makes it look so easy! The last one I watched was when his daughter brought up her daughter to spend some time with them. I think I was smiling bigger than Heimo in that show!

IIRC, it's on Animal Planet.

Lots of hunting/trapping/backwoods living.

You often see subtitles such as: 364 miles from town, or, 272 miles to the nearest road.

It's filmed on location in ANWR

Great show. Would love to visit out there . Officially, Why is it that no more permits are given for that area?

Great show. Would love to visit out there . Officially, Why is it that no more permits are given for that area?

Act of congress in 1980, all the holders at the time were "grandfathered" in, up until their children passed. It was designated "wilderness" and no new permits can be issued in wilderness areas.

Over the years, many died childless, or the children had no interest and gave the permit back.

Bob Harte died this past summer, dunno if his daughter will continue the permit.

Back