The least loved axe of all - the axe mattock

Last week I commented on how the brush axe or brush hook has no value among collectors or resellers of old tools. But there is an axe that is even less loved than the brush axe - the lowly axe mattock (cutter mattock).
:(
1.jpg

Yesterday I bought one of these at a 2nd hand store. They really only have one purpose, digging through roots. When trenching through rooty soil or digging out stumps you often have to cut roots passing through the hole at varying angles. The axe mattock is the tool for this. With tough semi-sharp blades 90° opposed you have a blade handy for cutting any root.

As a lad I had the sad misfortune to become familiar with this tool. We had a jungle of elms on our property that needed to be cleared. This was an essential tool in digging out the stumps.

2.jpg

I probably would have left this tool in the pile of other rusty old crap it was laying in except I noticed that it had hardly been used. It appeared to have the factory grinds on both the axe and the mattock. So I picked it up and looked for a makers mark.

3.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised to find a shield with an 'H' in it. I recognized this right away as a Hubbard tool. Hubbard was a company that specialized in making striking tools for the railroad industry. The few tools of theirs I've seen have been of high quality. I'm guessing that this tool was blessed with a crappy handle which broke right away, relegating this tool to a corner of some garage waiting forever to be re-handled. How fortunate is the axe or tool that was hung on a crappy handle?

4.jpg

5.jpg

As fate would have it I have a date in 2 weeks with a nasty stump at my daughter's place. The stump grinders already gave up on it because it's too impregnated with basalt boulders. Even the operator of a small backhoe gave up. So we're having a stump digging party.

6.jpg

I presume that the number 5 designates this tool as having a #5 sized pick eye. It was a common size. Just when this tool thought is was retired it fell into the wrong hands. Poor thing.

Last edited:
Thanks, Steve. I didn't think it was that heavy but after your post I put it on the scale, 4.94 pounds. Looks like a 5-pounder, #1 short cutter mattock. Only difference is that mine has the stamp on the opposite side of the blade.

I usually have more call for pick mattocks myself, but cutter mattocks are great tools that deserve more respect. That one of yours is a beauty!

Interestingly, while in the USA we have the Pulaski, which is an axe with a hoe, and the cutter mattock, which is a hoe with an axe, in Italy they have a tool that is equally both which they call a "zappascura" or literally "hoe axe".

piccone-zappascure5021.jpg

I've not gotten my hands on one yet, but would like to at some point.

That "Zappascura" looks like a modern day Dolabra, used by the Roman legions thousand of year ago. It is even closer to a US military issued "Mattax" which came out sometime after the tri-folding E-tool. IMO it was because that Tri-Folding E-tool was such a poor digger. Lighter and more compact than the wooden handled M-1951, e-tool, but no way as good a digger. John

I usually have more call for pick mattocks myself, but cutter mattocks are great tools that deserve more respect.

They don't perform fun or glamorous work. It's a tool for when you need to kick ass on some nasty roots. Nobody enjoys that work. But when you have to do it this is the right tool.

I bet those Italian made ones are head and shoulders above the current stuff being imported.

The German company SHW has a version that's imported by Earth Tools in the USA. It comes with a 54" handle and has a total weight of 3.1 pounds. 10.5" head length. I imagine it to be like a smaller type of Pulaski with a slip-fit head that mounts onto your "hiking staff".

54528 - SHW Chopper / Root Cutter
54528b.jpg

I bet a good landscaping digging bar would help with that stump of yours, too.

I don't want to Steel this thread, but while the subject is up , does anyone ever see adze eye mattocks handles anywhere ?

I bet a good landscaping digging bar would help with that stump of yours, too.
I'm bringing rock bars (pinch point bars). I have a nice old US made digging bar but I think the heavier rock bars will be better for this job.

The stump in question along with my grandson the tree feller.

Tommy%20wood%20feller.jpg

Tommy%20wood%20feller.jpg

The tree was planted atop that pile of basalt stones and the roots grew all through.

I think I probably need a standard adze handle, because this particular tool is a Z Zabarte tools pick mattock and it's original handle which I couldn't save was curved.

I've tangled with enough stumps in my younger days to suggest another option. Unearth the surface roots and one side of the stump/root ball, down about two feet and get a hot fire going down in the hole. Within a day or two (we're not talking bonfire here but a steady bed of coals) there won't be much left of that stump.
I too grew up with a cutter mattox (and still have it) but have really grown fond of Pulaskis. My yard is mostly stone free and last week I removed a trailer load of shrubs and small trees, roots and all, via digging and chopping them out entirely with a Pulaski.

I always wondered if the root of the word for adze and axe is one and the same.

Back