The long road back to the 110

My first encounter with the Buck 110 was in the early 1970's as a pup in the scouts. 110's were seemingly ubiquitous on the belts of my elders. I coveted one for years but could not afford one. In my mid teens I started working summers in Alaska, where again a Buck 110 rode on virtually every belt.

Back then a new one cost a day's pay or more which kept it out of my reach until I purchased my first (well) used but within my budget. It served me well and was carried anytime and anywhere I could.

As a young adult I drifted away from the 110 for smaller pocket carry knives and used mostly fixed blades for belt carry. In the early 80's Western knives (and others) offered 110 variations and I did buy a 541 to replace my 110.

I liked the 541. It was slimmer and the nickle silver bolsters appealed to me. It wasn't a Buck but it was one of the better copies.

Decades pass, a variety of knives cycle through my pocket before I come across a number of Buck offerings of high value knives that I can't resist. They get hard use, take and hold a keen edge and make wonderful gifts. I like the 845 so much I bought three more as backups.

34MfyAAl.jpg

Another Buck blade shape that appealed to me was found on the Bantams. VERY affordable so I purchased several to ride along in tool kits, vehicles and give away as gifts, some of which converted non-knife folks into everyday carriers. My Bantams get abused and come back for more. They are often the first called upon though I may be carrying one or two other knives. I really like the size of the largest though I think the mid size is the most practical. With the largest (286) it is easy to bite off more than you can chew. There is enough flex in the handle that I did manage to pop the lock spring. It had seen over a year's worth of abuse and I had definitely gotten my money's worth.

tuI9FL6l.jpg

More recently I've been buying the Rivals. I have at least one in each size. I don't like the clip location so they get removed but they are light and slim enough to ride inside a pocket unnoticed. My wife liked the smallest and it is her daily carry for work. Like the Bantam I think the midsize is the most practical for the same reasons.

Which brings me back to the Buck 110. One caught my eye and as soon as it put it in my hand I knew I'd be buying another (two actually). The low price was unbelievable to me. Instead of a day's pay they could be had for what I'd make before lunch if I got my old job back at the Dairy Queen.

The Western 541, the Old 110 and the New 110
4SOLrWSl.jpg

The new 110 with its rounded edges feels great in the hand. It came very sharp but a few minutes on an Arkansas stone and strop polished the edge that will still shave after pruning a maple limb to make a replacment pole for my tent and tent stakes with several meals worth of food prep on top of that.

I like the new one even better than the old one, the eased edges make it comfortable under hard use. It will see regular use outdoors, in the kitchen and sometimes in the shop. 110's are like good boots, they just get better and better with use. I can't wait for hunting season. I suspect I'll be buying more as I'm certain my nephews will talk me out of my spare.

Well done Buck.

Last edited:
Full circle with the 110?
Awesome! :)
Once they catch your eye
them knives from buck
become something of
a sacred reoccuring dream.
Don't even try to ignore them! ;-)
Well, similarly
I have had other financial priorities
but who was i to ignore revelation?
It started with a hand-me-down gift
and then i was struck by visions
of wanting to own different variations.
I must have had help from above
because over time
I had been blessed with
the oppurtunity of aquiring
a red bone damascus 110
and a finger grooved version.
Thanks for the sharing "justsaymo"
may your 110 journey be always
a happy and rewarding experience
to look forward to.

110 is THE knife of all lockback knives. I too have tried all the other ones you mentioned and always come back to either a 110 or 112. And I still like the Bantams too. The mid size 285 has been one of my users for years. Picked up two Rivals when they first came out in different size but never liked them, so they were given away. Their design of the handle bites into your fingers. And also if you really love the 110, give the slim version a try. They are so well made I rarely ever use the Bantam anymore.

Back