The longevity of Wood Inlays

I have not really seen or heard much about CRK wood inlays cracking. I've had some old wood inlays and never a problem.

Ya, I figured it was the real old collectibles I was seeing pics of with the small cracks in the wood. But its still wood unless CRK treats it with something to make it last longer. Thats why I posed the question.

IMG_6468.jpg I realized I posted a pic of the wrong side of the knife as ir was this side too. I polished scratches on both sides.

Last edited:
Thanks Peter, you’re the best!

Seems GG was using a variable dremel where my older model is one speed and was turning way to fast for proper polishing. He mentions which attachments to use. I'll oder a new variable dremel off amazon along with the other stuff he recommends for polishing.

This is also why the first thing I order with a new knife is a deep carry clip from MX Gear especially for my CRK's. The worst thing one does is put his knife in the same pocket as his keys. With a deep carry clip not only does the knife not show sticking out of your pocket, your keys if put in the same pocket won't scratch the knife. Polished finishes are extremely susceptible to scratches as most of us already found out. I don't baby a knife, but I hate "any" scratches.

If I remember right the rechargables are slower than the corded, so a variable rechargeable might get you the lowest speed
I never carry my knives with other items in the same pocket and they hold up pretty well.

Ya, its a lot easy to spend $$$ on a decent WE system as you would think. The method is the same for their 4 models and the better models come with better and faster clamping system. I can justify what I spent on the system as between my family and myself we probably have 50-75 knives mostly kitchen knives and maybe 35 folders. I used to use a $200 chefs choice sharpener, before I knew any better. It really tears up the edge and wastes a lot of metal. Watch a youtube vid by a member here Josh from "Razor Edge Knives" to see what our system can turn out.
I've sharpened knives with whetstones for years, but the Wicked Edge system turns edge sharpening into an artform. Not the 15 second edge done on a grinding wheel that the knife companies turn out. My Pro Gen III unit is $899 and it doesnt take long to watch the dollars add up with extra diamond stones, diamond lapping films, variuos strops etc and accessories.

Great systems-I have one, but it didn't cost any where near that. They have come up with more and more ways to get our $'s, but I wasn't aware they had gone that high

But its like all marketing of products, give the public what they want and they will pay up for it. Same for our CRK knives which started out as PJ's and graduated to exotic wood inlays, CG graphics and Damascus blades. My first was a 2nd hand $290 PJ small Sebenza 3 months ago and now I've purchased 9 models and now I'm looking at $800 models :eek: . . . in life, you get what you pay for $$$

With woods, that hardness isnt everything, same as steel in reference. Lignum is hard ass stuff and waterproof but lacks the beauty of snakewood, but snakewood is prone to splitting when worked. Much more than most people need for a daily user, most hardwoods will last a lifetime if care is taken.

I'm with mlamb mlamb on lignum and a few other woods- Plain and not my thing..some of them look like they were made out of old pallets or railroad ties in my opinion.
Probably a good thing that opinions are free and are worth exactly what you pay for them.

I'm with mlamb mlamb on lignum and a few other woods- Plain and not my thing..some of them look like they were made out of old pallets or railroad ties in my opinion.
Probably a good thing that opinions are free and are worth exactly what you pay for them.

Unless of course you’re a politician

I find the wood from the micarta tree to be pretty durable:)
I like all the woods. Some are more bold than others, some a little more refined, but they all have their own unique characteristics. Wood and knives go together well. I would expect the inlays to hold up, mine have. I certainly wouldn't worry about their durability, but then again I wouldn't beat on them with a hammer either.

Never heard of a problem with wood inlays but if something happens prematurely they will take care of you. If you simply wear it out then you would have more than gotten your money's worth. Not something to worry about IMO.

Last edited:
Back