The Mighty Mora Robust Knife

I ordered one today. It will be my first mora and first Scandi grind knife, so I'm looking forward to using it. Can't beat the price on those that's for sure!

It's easy to fall into the bigger is better thinking but after some real world use it's obvious that the big knives aren't practical (for me that is)

Last edited:
I just bought one based on your op. Very nice knife for the money. I will use it for a month and report back with my findings.

Thanks for bringing this new Mora to my attention. Got one last week and prefer the balance of the thicker stock and slightly overall bigger dimensions to my Clipper. I may even baton it once for fun! Just kidding.

I love the balance and feel too. I have XL hands. The only possible disadvantage of the thicker blade is in it's slicing ability with food.
The bigger handle and the thicker blade is were the Robust becomes the Robust as luresalive from Belfast points out.
Robust.jpg
Above pic by luresalive

I picked one up a few days ago. Not many places carry it yet, and those that did have run out it seems. I really like it so far. All I have done at this point is a little comparative carving, but it definitely was made for wood working. It's my first Mora and first scandi grind and I'm really loving the scandi grind. I have a weekend camping trip planned for father's day weekend, so it should get a good workout then.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention sweetcostarican :thumbup:

Oh yes, the Mora Robust leans more toward wood work and hard use. I would carry it with a thin pocket knife because of this if you are going to be slicing food. The Robust will work but it is not as precise. Have fun in the woods DaBrew and if you can take some photos so everyone can see what a Scandi grind can do.
Mora Robost Pic.jpg

Turns out I really like this knife. I'm not really good at feathersticks or anything, but while the kids were splashing around in the lake i took some time to dig into some wood. Cuts wonderfully, and the handle is super comfy. I'll see if I can figure out how to get some pics up here. I have to admit it's not as macho as my esee 4, but it sure is easier on my hands, easy to maneuver and cut and fun to use. I realize the esee 4 can do things the Mora can't, but if I had to pick one.....................
WP_000546.jpg

WP_000549.jpg

WP_000545.jpg

Last edited:
Bravo DaBrew, bravo. This knife gives meaning to the phrase "less is more". For less money you get a lot of advantages which some you have pointed out:
-good comfortable handle
-great cutter because it's really sharp
-easy to handle
-all this for $15 USD. "Forget about it".
And there are more pluses but it is enough to say we have ourselves a great bushcrafting knife for all people.
Thanks for the picture review :thumbup:.

Just got one myself (thanks to you sweet). Must say I am more than impressed with this knife. Puts many of my way more expensive (some custom) fixed blades to shame. What a DEAL.

I forgot to mention that the spine of the blade is not finished nearly as nice as the rest of the nife, sorta unfinished, but a few minutes with a good file and it looks great, plus it throws great sparks from a fire steel after the file job

I like the Robust. Used my Spyderco Sharpener and it is better than new. Now, I am interested in who makes a decent replacement leather sheath.

Hi all,

So, MORA experts, which MORA knife would be best for a guy with XXL hands for use with FOOD prep ? Slicing Tomatoes, Onions, Chicken, etc. ? I do plan on buying a ROBUST just because but, in addition, I'd like to buy a MORA that is best suited for food prep. Thanks.

KAOS THE CAT

I would recommend either a Clipper or Companion in stainless for food prep. Both have just less than a 4" blade and with 12c27 stainless, almost no chance of rusting. I have several Companions and for the money, they are one of the highest values in fixed blades.

Hi all,

So, MORA experts, which MORA knife would be best for a guy with XXL hands for use with FOOD prep ? Slicing Tomatoes, Onions, Chicken, etc. ? I do plan on buying a ROBUST just because but, in addition, I'd like to buy a MORA that is best suited for food prep. Thanks.

KAOS THE CAT
The Mora Robust and Heavy-Duties Knives are optimized for wood working but can be use for food prep. The trouble is the thicker blade is not the best for outdoor kitchen work. Your best bet HARDBALL since you have very large hands is the Mora of Sweden stainless knife 746 ($14 USD). Uncle sweetcostarica would not steer you wrong.
Mora of Sweden stainless knife 746.jpg
Above picture is the Mora 746

Also, check out the new Svord Kiwi General Outdoors Knife ($25 USD) for competition with the Mora Robust & HD Knives. This Svord is classified as a big handled wood working knife.

Svord Kiwi General Outdoor Knife.jpg
Above picture by Last Visible Canary. The middle blade is the Svord Kiwi General Outdoors Knife

All rounded off prices from from Ben's Backwoods website.

Hi Jeff and SC,

Thanks for the MORA and SVORD info. I like (the pics) of them both! I gotta order soon.

Regards,

HARDBALL

The Companion is a better slicer than the H.D. I have a couple of both and prefer the Companion in stainless.

Back