"The more you carry in your head ...'

"...the less you carry on your back." Nessmuk-Woodcraft
I am a strong beliver in this saying for both survival and life in general. The more you know the less you need. What are other's opinions as I am sure many people belive in as much gear as possible.

PS: I'm back :eek:

I completely agree with you. While having a fully-stocked pack with wonderful luxuries like a tent, sleeping bag and propane stove is certainly enjoyable, there's something much more admirable about working with the clothes on your back and the knife on your belt.

Who needs clothes or knives?? Personally, I have no problem using what I have, but I like to practice with less than what I expect to find. For example, go out and try to do things without a knife sometime. Only eat what you can find. Find ways to get water. It's hard, but it makes planning easier as you know what you need and what you just carry out of habit. Every time I go out I find something that I don't need to be lugging around.

Plus, how much more ultralight can you get than carrying nothing??

Its what I live by when I venture into the woods.

Here is a list of the gear I usually take into the woods, I usually also carry a police whistle and a compass and map of the area I'm traveling in.

Poncho / Tarp
Sleeping Blanket / Bag
2 -32 oz Nalgene Water Bottles
Metal Mug / Cup
Sturdy Fixed Blade Knife
Ferrocerium Rod / FireSteel

For longer trips, I add:

Aerobic Oxygen / water purification
Paracord
Hatchet / ax
Medical kit
Insect Repellant
Head lamp

I keep it as simple as I can, without putting myself into a possition of needing in a hurry and not having, until I fabricate a tool to get it.

I think the same as you better to know how to get along without all the toys because they are most likely not going to be there when the chips are down,make a habit of wearing a good knife all the time thats is a good idea.

That's all well & good but I have been in situations that the time spent improvising fire or shelter would be enough time to kill you (-25F, WC -75F). Everyone that ventures out and about should have a good knowledge of basic survival skills AND have enough common sense to have the equipment needed to survive. Just MHO
Gene :D

Well yeah, dropping somebody off naked in Antartica would do them in no matter what they know. I agree with you, gear is good. I mean, there's a reason why we have flashlights and stuff. It's good to know how to improvise things, of course; it's very rewarding to make something you can use instead of buying something. OTOH, if we're out in the snow, I'll take my ECW sleeping bag over improvising. I'll gladly carry in my headlamp rather than carry a flaming torch. I've found, though, in general that I don't need to carry a whole stockpile of food. Or a stove. When I go camping with my buddies, I always look like I'm ultralighting, even though I've got what I anticipate needing to the full extent. There are so many double/triple/--> uses for things it isn't even funny! I like gadgets, though, so I'm always playing with something new, and while many times I find myself carrying said toy for fun, I still enjoy myself. And having fun is where it's all about!