1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The most incredible knife sharpener I have ever used

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Azula Gun Holsters, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Azula Gun Holsters

Azula Gun Holsters KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 19, 2016
    I have tried many knife sharpeners over the years and have found that the clamp system had always worked the best. Gatco, KME, Lansky and Wicked Edge all did a good job on the small knives but it became a bit of an ordeal to sharpen the big knives. The clamps would struggle with the bigger and thicker knives and it took forever to re profile a knife. Was never overly happy about pushing the stones into the edge. If you got tired or sloppy you would get cut.

Saw a post on IG where a knife maker was using an AMK-75 knife sharpener to get his knives razor sharp. There was very little online info about the AMK-75 sharpener.

I got the chance to use the AMK-75 and it is the most incredible knife sharpener I have ever used. It took a mere 15 minutes to get a razor sharp edge on a big Busse knife. I adjusted the edge to 20 degrees per side. Started with a 130 belt for a few passes. then a 220 belt, 800 belt, 1000 belt and finished with a leather strop belt and green compound.

The usual clamp for the AMK-75 is a single clamp but they also make a custom dual clamp for bigger and thicker knives. The dual clamp works very well for big knives like the NMFBM and even works well on a medium knife like a Boss Jack.

It really is amazing how fast the AMK-75 can sharpen a knife with a consistent screaming sharp edge. All the following edges are at 20 degrees per side. You really have to be careful handling the knife as they are very very sharp.

The AMK-75 is very well made and made in the USA.

AMK-75 WITH THE DUAL CLAMP AND A SCRAPYARD 1111
    [​IMG]

DUAL CLAMP ON A BOSS JACK
    [​IMG]

SINGLE CLAMP ON A RODENT 6
    [​IMG]

VERY SHARP EDGE ON A SCRAPYARD 1111
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VERY SHARP EDGE ON A NMFBM
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VERY SHARP RODENT 6
    [​IMG]

VERY SHARP BOSS JACK
    [​IMG]

THE AMK-75 KNIFE SHARPENER VIDEO

ironmike86, razorburn, dman62 and 7 others like this.
  2. Daniel Halcomb

Daniel Halcomb Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 26, 2015
    That thing looks sweet! Very convenient!
    Would be awesome for reprofiling. I'll stick to my DC4 for now though:p

3. zombieassassin

zombieassassin Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Nice!

4. amflud

amflud Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Can the clamps get a secure grip on full flat ground blades? I have always had problems with my blades flopping back and forth in the clamps in my limited experience with guided sharpening systems.

5. MacLaren1

MacLaren1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 15, 2014
    Kind of reminds me of my Russian TSPROF K02, with the clamps it has anyways.

6. Azula Gun Holsters

Azula Gun Holsters KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 19, 2016
    Just sharpened a new version Mountainmandu and the dual clamps worked well. Was very secure with no movement.

C120 likes this.
  7. iamtoast

iamtoast

Jun 18, 2008
    Looks like an awesome system. It also looks way too steeply priced for me for a home hobby expense.

8. zmbhntr

zmbhntr ̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(•̪●)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿''̿ ̿ Platinum Member

Jul 28, 2014
    I ordered one this weekend with the Black Friday sale!

Hard Knocks likes this.
  9. polskiogorki

polskiogorki Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    Very cool. I have a wicked edge but am very tempted to upgrade !!

10. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Since they both seem to be around tbe same price I wonder how this system compares to the Tormek?

My sharpener I want to try is the paper wheels.

11. Warbow150

Warbow150 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Did it round the tips a smidge? Looks like it but it's hard to tell from the photos.

OilMan likes this.
  12. Azula Gun Holsters

Sep 19, 2016
    It can and a lot depends on technique. If you follow the curve of the tip it can round the tip a bit. If you draw straight across it seems to keep the original tip profile. A bit of a learning curve to get the tip how you want it. It is very sharp to the end of the tip.

13. Azula Gun Holsters

Sep 19, 2016
    Wanted to see what I could do with a couple of kitchen knives with broken tips. Have had these kitchen knives for many years and they were dull, a little bent and the tips were broken. My wife is a little hard on knives.
    Ran through belts 130, 220, 800, 1000 and then the leather strop belt. Just curved up at the end to create a new tip which worked. The new repaired tip is rounded but sharp to the very end.
    I also ran a used scrapyard 411 over the sharpener. The 411 came out very sharp as well and the tip easily cut 6oz leather.

I used a water dunk between passes but am not sure if that does anything at all.

Overall the AMK-75 has been very easy to use and the knives are extremely sharp.

BROKEN TIP KITCHEN KNIFE CLAMPED UP AND READY TO GO
    [​IMG]

BROKEN TIP ON TOP VERSUS REPROFILED TIP ON BOTTOM
    [​IMG]

KITCHEN KNIVES HAIR POPPING SHARP
    [​IMG]

SCRAPYARD 411 VERY SHARP
    [​IMG]

SCRAPYARD 411 TIP CUTTING THROUGH 6oz LEATHER WITH EASE
    [​IMG]

14. bullpin

bullpin

Dec 8, 2010
    Looks sweet. How much ?

15. WhitleyStu

WhitleyStu Keep'em scary sharp!!! Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 8, 2006
    From AMK's web site... $749.99

16. CLKW

CLKW Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2016
    To help avoid rounding the tips, stop and pull away when the tip reaches the center of the belt.

tedwca, stjones and OilMan like this.
  17. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Is the rod and clamp available to buy separately?

luethge and marchone like this.
  18. bullpin

bullpin

Dec 8, 2010
    Thanks. I gotta go look. That’s seems a little expensive. It’s nice and made in USA. But seems like it’s only good for one thing. Sharpening.

19. Azula Gun Holsters

Sep 19, 2016
    That was a big help, thank you

Gave it a try on a filet knife and the tip was not rounded.

CLKW likes this.
  20. CLKW

CLKW Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Good deal. Check out Preffered Abrasives for belts, I usually order through direct message on Instagram and the generally ship same day.