The Mountain Men

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
Anyone ever seen the Mountain Men, with Charlton Heston and Brian Keith? One of my favorites, although my Blackfoot ancestors might have a disagreement with me on that one... ;)

Some of my favorite quotes from Henry Frapp, played by Brian Keith:

Henry Frapp: I thought you got lost again.

Nathan Wyeth: Haven't you ever been lost?

Henry Frapp: Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!

Always like Brian Keith, and he was very good in this one. Played the role for some comedy vs Hestons more serious role. Good movie, and the period was reflected well in the small touches in wardrobe and props.

Has some good lines for sure. I seem to recall something about " the beaver will shine again" and "Come Popo Agie. Plenty whiskey and white women"...Enjoyable movie roundly panned by critics but watchable any time it's on. Directed by Heston's son as I recall.

You're close, it was written by Heston's son Frazer. Directed by Richard Lang.

Maybe I'm delusional, but didn't Frazer Heston have something to go with directing his dad in the 1990 remake of Treasure Island? Heston did a Long John Silver that definitely wasn't good ol' Wallace Beery.:eek:

The original Treasure Island and the Muppets Treasure Island are the only ones I've seen. I'm guessing the movie you're referring to wasn't as good as the original, but maybe not as bad as the Muppets version?

Before I lose what little cred I have, I am 37, my youngest sister is 19. I'm guessing I sat and watched the movie with either her or my little brother, who is now 22, when they were young kids.

Yeah, that's right...

The original Treasure Island and the Muppets Treasure Island are the only ones I've seen. I'm guessing the movie you're referring to wasn't as good as the original, but maybe not as bad as the Muppets version?

Before I lose what little cred I have, I am 37, my youngest sister is 19. I'm guessing I sat and watched the movie with either her or my little brother, who is now 22, when they were young kids.

Yeah, that's right...

Ha! Don't feel too bad. I am younger than you and I remember when the Muppet Treasure Island movie came out, I think I was 11 or 12. I found it rather fun, plus Tim Curry played Long John Silver, which was awesome. In fact, I recently dug it up and watched it with my kids, they got quite the kick out of it.

The 1950's Treasure Island, on the other hand, was one of my favorite movies growing up. It inspired a lot of swashbuckling, boyish adventures in the back 40.

Thanks for setting me straight on the writer/director of "The Mountain Men." I seem to recall a Heston pirate role but no details.

Now, as for "Muppet Treasure Island"...It is one of the half dozen "special" movies my daughter and I enjoy together...In fact, we watched it this past Saturday night.

My wife and son don't care one way or the other about it- but we love it...From start to finish we know dialogue and sing along with the songs. It is silly, but Tim Curry plays a great LJS and it is just a fun way to spend 90 minutes of quality time with my daughter ...

By the way, did I mention I am 61 and she is 24? LOL.

Maybe I'm delusional, but didn't Frazer Heston have something to go with directing his dad in the 1990 remake of Treasure Island? Heston did a Long John Silver that definitely wasn't good ol' Wallace Beery.:eek:

Yep, The son directed the father in that 1990 TV version.

Back