1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The NEW Post Your Campsite/gear/knife/hiking/anything Outdoorsy Pic Thread!

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by Esav Benyamin, Apr 23, 2010.

1. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dendrology is one of my hobbies...can you tell me the dominant trees in the forest there? I suspect it is a mix of various birch species and scots pine (pinus sylvestris) and perhaps some Norway spruce (picea abies).

2. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Spot on.
    There's some Sitka as well, but we're trying to get rid of them.

3. Hurrul

Hurrul Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Stunning landscape and it appears not to be heavily populated, which is a bonus in my world.

My girlfriend ran a half marathon in Norway a couple of years ago, above the arctic circle. Unfortunately, can't remember the name of the race, but was near Tromso I think...

I wish I had been able to go at the time, as her pictures of the area were were inspiring. Seems to me you have a lot of wild area to get lost in.

Happy trails to you and thanks for the photos, too.

Rykjeklut likes this.
  4. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Really thought I responded to you, but seems I didn't.

Not a lot of people around here, no. At least not by American standards :D the closest city has about 30k inhabitants, but it is a good two/three hours drive from where I was.

I think she might have ran the Midnight Sun Marathon? I know thats in and around Tromsø.

Oh absolutely, you can spend years. My father spent about every weekend for 40 years out in these mountains, until his feet gave away, and there's still so much he hasn't seen.
    Granted, his main target was fishing, not climbing every peak.

Hurrul likes this.