The New SURVIVE!

I need a GSO 6! I went to order one from the website and it wouldn't let me...:(
Sorry to hear that! I wish you could have gotten your order in, but then again, overly long open preorder windows helped get SURVIVE! into the mess they're in now. I'm confident you'll get what you want one way or the other.

Like we were talking about in another thread, I can't wait to try out the 6 in a variety of activities to see it fitting as the small side of what I see as a jack of all trades survival knife, with the 10 being on the larger side of that same idea.

Sorry to hear that! I wish you could have gotten your order in, but then again, overly long open preorder windows helped get SURVIVE! into the mess they're in now. I'm confident you'll get what you want one way or the other.

Like we were talking about in another thread, I can't wait to try out the 6 in a variety of activities to see it fitting as the small side of what I see as a jack of all trades survival knife, with the 10 being on the larger side of that same idea.

It's ok SN! I'm always scavenging the classifieds for things that will tickle me fancy! I go through knives like underwear sometimes. It's only the REAL comfortable underwear that I actually keep...:D

Can someone tell me what is going on? I was told that some people here might know. Now Feb 2018 is just about here and the SK models 12 & 6 were suppose to be done by March so my question is has anyone received a blade yet? What about the GSO 7/7 are they done yet since they were suppose to finished in Dec 2016? I was then told 90% of them would be done by the first quarter of 2017 and now it is the first quarter of 2018 and they say they are stuck in the March 2015 orders for a very long time. People have ordered the 2nds and while it took a long time to get them many said no issues were found with them so I must ask why is that? Any SK knives shipped in the 5 day window they said would happen. I guess I was wrong when I said this might be a way to get new orders in with no clear completion date or that the GSO would be finished faster too. Two years waiting on just one model and it is not done yet. Lets see how many models are outstanding out there and if it takes 2 years to finish one model and that is being kind on completion of just one model how long till you get to the GSO 5.1 and get them done? I think I will will my knife to go to the Smithsonian for archive when knives were made from ferrous metals section after they find out how make them from new materials that exceed steel made from a comet due to hit the backyard of a alien blacksmith from another planet in 3018 AD.

^Wait until 2019 and they might be on April 2015 pre-orders. But nothing wrong with that since everyone here seems to have all the time in the world and likes given away free money. ;)

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I was interested in buying one or more GSO knives. I signed up for the notifications and news letter. I visited the site from time to time, but the knives I was interested in never seemed to be in the pre-order period. The updates seemed sporadic, the dates slipped, the news about an SK line kept changing. I kept waiting for a solid opportunity to order or buy... I was thinking that with all the demand that the company might get its crap together. Delivering knives, establishing the brand, and raising prices would have been the right course of action. Raising prices would have slowed new orders to those who are willing to pay and brought in a bit more cash. Then it would have been appropriate to introduce a less custom knife in higher volume. I thought about investing at one point, but even from California I could tell that the company needed more mature business minds.

Bottom line, I gave up on Survive Knives. I would have been OK with paying more to buy one, but that opportunity never came up. In the meantime, I was able to order and receive four Busse knives (About $1500 in knives), and I have two more on order (~$900). Some of those could have been SK GSO orders.

You can't just build great knives, you have to know how to run a business. Maybe someday I'll give SK another chance, but in the meantime FiddleBack Forge Camp Knife and BarkRiver Bravo Survivor are great looking knives and may be my next purchases.

I have lost interest in their knives since the wait times and fake news that came out over the years. You never get what you expect not even 10% of what you expect from them. A few weeks really means a few years. The thread from 2012 shows that not a single thing has changed. Send your money in wait and customers are scum if they ask what the deal is. You see 2nds with no errors go out when you have been waiting over 2 years is just a D move. The SK line that was the big news hasn't made anything better. Refusal to hire people to help assemble parts is not smart either. Even if it is 5 mins per knife at the end of the day I bet that would mean faster returns for lots of people. I have ordered from Busse and only waited one month to get the latest blade. They have enough time to get into other ventures. I guess the only new thing is if you cancel an order you lose 20% for a restocking fee on a knife that doesn't exist.

One thing is for certain if there is a market someone will answer the demand. As years pass by it won't be long before great designs and companies move to fill the void. I will move to Fiddleback Production Models for about the same price. Most don't need the hassle of waiting and not knowing if a company will survive do to constant errors. The thing about fanboys is new and better things come out in the future. I love what Busse and Fiddleback are doing and I don't have a problem with using S35VN over CPM 20V if it means 5 years wait before the 5.1 comes out. I don't buy to collect but to use a tool. If that means I have to use an ESEE and replace it so be it. How many in here has ever broken a ESEE 5 or 6 in normal use anyways. We read the articles on steel and think that 3V or M4 is the only steel to use. To keep it real I like LT Wright Knives more than the GSO. for a EDC. I would take A2 into the woods with full confidence because I would be missing out on ventures for years waiting for Survive to get their act together.

I have lost interest in their knives since the wait times and fake news that came out over the years. You never get what you expect not even 10% of what you expect from them.

I believe a lot of folks who placed preorders with us during the SURVIVE! Starter campaign were expecting a knife similar to our old spec production models. Instead they are getting a knife with much tighter fit & finish and innovations like our unique surface finish, Delta 3V and Microtextured handles.

A few weeks really means a few years. The thread from 2012 shows that not a single thing has changed. Send your money in wait and

Open ended preordering was last available in September of 2016, which is when we closed the GSO-8 Preorder. Since then we have offered some preordering, but with limitations on time and/or volume. Those preorders have only been available for models that have started or are close to starting production. In actuality, we haven't had any knives available for sale since October 2017 and have been working on fulfilling existing orders.

customers are scum if they ask what the deal is.

We are always happy to reply to emails and talk to people on the phone when they are concerned about their order. If anyone feels they have been treated poorly by someone at SURVIVE! please let us know so we can be better in the future. We strive to have top-notch customer service and have never intended to be disrespectful to anyone, customer or otherwise.

You see 2nds with no errors go out when you have been waiting over 2 years is just a D move.

Every knife that leaves our workshop is a functional cutting tool. The Factory 2nds are knives that have some sort of flaw. Some of those flaws are things that used to pass as firsts until a customer complained. Over the years, our standards have gotten really high. Some folks might not care as much as we do about a mismatched bevel and would say that there is nothing wrong with the knife. Functionally, they're right. But the primary bevels are still mismatched and I know many of our customers would be pretty upset if they received a first that way.

The SK line that was the big news hasn't made anything better.

The SK Series also hasn't been released yet.

Refusal to hire people to help assemble parts is not smart either. Even if it is 5 mins per knife at the end of the day I bet that would mean faster returns for lots of people.

Assembly isn't where things are getting held up. The time consuming processes are the ones that require more skill and attention to detail, but they can also be boring and uncomfortable. Hiring people for those tasks can be more difficult but we aren't against the idea. We have hired people who didn't work out and we have interviewed people who were no longer interested once they realized what the work was. We also have to consider that a lot of what we do involves proprietary processes that took years to develop. We can't just flood the workshop with people we don't know until one of them sticks around. Instead, we decided to work with highly rated companies who already have teams of skilled employees. That is one of the advantages of the upcoming SK Series.

I have ordered from Busse and only waited one month to get the latest blade. They have enough time to get into other ventures.

We aren’t comparable to Busse. They make a different style of knife, for a different amount of money. They have also been in the business for over 30 years.

I guess the only new thing is if you cancel an order you lose 20% for a restocking fee on a knife that doesn't exist.

At the start of 2017 we implemented a new policy of charging a 10% cancellation fee for refunded orders. This was intended to help cover lost payment processing fees as well as in house costs associated with issuing refunds. The fee was waived for refunds on any weekly sales orders that had gone beyond the 90 day delivery window. Any orders placed before January 01, 2017 are not subject to the cancellation fee.

I believe a lot of folks who placed preorders with us during the SURVIVE! Starter campaign were expecting a knife similar to our old spec production models. Instead they are getting a knife with much tighter fit & finish and innovations like our unique surface finish, Delta 3V and Microtextured handles.

Open ended preordering was last available in September of 2016, which is when we closed the GSO-8 Preorder. Since then we have offered some preordering, but with limitations on time and/or volume. Those preorders have only been available for models that have started or are close to starting production. In actuality, we haven't had any knives available for sale since October 2017 and have been working on fulfilling existing orders.

We are always happy to reply to emails and talk to people on the phone when they are concerned about their order. If anyone feels they have been treated poorly by someone at SURVIVE! please let us know so we can be better in the future. We strive to have top-notch customer service and have never intended to be disrespectful to anyone, customer or otherwise.

Every knife that leaves our workshop is a functional cutting tool. The Factory 2nds are knives that have some sort of flaw. Some of those flaws are things that used to pass as firsts until a customer complained. Over the years, our standards have gotten really high. Some folks might not care as much as we do about a mismatched bevel and would say that there is nothing wrong with the knife. Functionally, they're right. But the primary bevels are still mismatched and I know many of our customers would be pretty upset if they received a first that way.

Assembly isn't where things are getting held up. The time consuming processes are the ones that require more skill and attention to detail, but they can also be boring and uncomfortable. Hiring people for those tasks can be more difficult but we aren't against the idea. We have hired people who didn't work out and we have interviewed people who were no longer interested once they realized what the work was. We also have to consider that a lot of what we do involves proprietary processes that took years to develop. We can't just flood the workshop with people we don't know until one of them sticks around. Instead, we decided to work with highly rated companies who already have teams of skilled employees. That is one of the advantages of the upcoming SK Series.

We aren’t comparable to Busse. They make a different style of knife, for a different amount of money. They have also been in the business for over 30 years.

At the start of 2017 we implemented a new policy of charging a 10% cancellation fee for refunded orders. This was intended to help cover lost payment processing fees as well as in house costs associated with issuing refunds. The fee was waived for refunds on any weekly sales orders that had gone beyond the 90 day delivery window. Any orders placed before January 01, 2017 are not subject to the cancellation fee.
For the record. Thank you for taking the time to respond to some serious concerns.

Allow me to retort. I appreciate that you've replied to the tough questions. My intention is to give you useful feedback and I want to buy one of your knives. As I said I've given up for now, only because I'm waiting for a better process to emerge.

1. You have been talking about the SK line in various forms on your website for a long time. Your credibility suffers here. In fact, your credibility suffers with every change or statement you make that does not result in more knives delivered or implied promises kept.

2. Your company is different than Busse and your product is different, but you might want to examine their business model for things that might work for you. That leads to #3.

3. One of the reasons you receive so much grief is that you ask for a lot of money up front. This is crazy, if you ask me. Its not too big a problem for some of us, but a lot of folks don't want to tie up $300 for months. If you took orders without a big deposit the worst that could happen is that you would have finished knives to sell and a bigger incentive to get them done in a timely fashion. But then you also have to execute. The demand for your knives is such that you could sell knives from any canceled orders (Look what your knives fetch on the secondary market). What does this mean for customer service? People couldn't be as upset if it takes a long time to deliver because they don't have as much (or any) money invested. What does it mean for the business? This means that you would have to raise prices. And you'd have to cover the borrowing costs of floating your expenses until the business catches up. At least this is one approach.

I like how Busse does this, you get on a mailing list. Busse announces they are about to make an offering. Then they start the offering and close it when necessary. It only costs me a dollar up front. Of course it could take months to receive, but they don't really give a delivery date and I'm not out any money. And I can cancel if I want.

Finally, I think your product is excellent, its the operation that seems to have some glitches. Good luck and I look forward to owning one of your excellent knives one day.

We are going to be transitioning away from our craft production model… kind of (You folks can probably guess where this is headed). The SK Series is being introduced as our main line of knives. They are being produced off-site (but still in the USA) and will be shipped to us, where Jordyn or I will check for major defects before boxing them up and shipping them out. This line is for the folks who want us to make more, faster.
8 months since this post...

Does everyone involved with Survive! only work on Saturdays?o_O

One thing is certain is that Changing Statements are made with the flow of upset customers. I could tell of all the so called estimated deadlines and it is okay that they are missed by a few months if that meant they are sent out. Lets focus on the 7/7 for now. You said that all the parts were in and inspection were done and that the knives would be sent out by years end of 2016. Early 2017 the same statement was made followed by a statement on May 11, 2017 you stated that surface finishing were about done and would be shipping soon. May 10, 2017 you said We are over half way through the GSO-7/7 Starter orders also. By the end of this week I should have all of those Starter and preorders surface finished and we'll transition to handle fitment and finishing. After that they're all going to start heading out the door! I know it has been a long wait but with getting our production wrinkles ironed out, it won't be much longer. March of 2018 and your still on the orders from March/April 2015 or am I wrong because on Nov 2016 you said this The GSO-7/7's are back from heat treat and an initial QC has been done to sort out the good, bad and ugly. The scrap has been set aside, as well as blades that will need some light hand regrinding and fine tuning. We have begun finishing some of those blades and will be able to ship a few of the early orders over the next couple of weeks. So if you have been sending orders from March 2015 in Nov 2016 why are the first month still not sent out here in March of 2018? On Nov 22, 2016 you said this We have most of the materials for the GSO-7/7, and plan on starting to ship out the preorders around the beginning of the year. As stated on our how to buy page, presales are generally offered after the knives have finished production, but while we are still working on fulfilling existing preorders. The wait for these is shorter than the wait for a preorder, though it can still take us 3-8 months to get through the presale orders, depending on our current workload. Now you said that you would be done with the Preorders in 2016 and now it is 2018. August 26, 2016 you said this The GSO-7/7 blades are heading to heat treat, the last step in the heavy machining process. After that we will be doing the surface finishing and start getting those orders sharpened and built. Now that the blades exist, we are able to start designing the sheaths for those. We are expecting to start shipping the GSO-7/7 preorders in about 2-3 months, depending on how these final steps go. These statements are obtained from Facebook which now I rarely see updates anymore and I can see why.
To say that standards are the reasons it is taking longer doesn't make sense. To quote you above all the steps were done years ago. You are outsourcing just about all the steps to make the blade so why do you add 24 months to a knife in delivery time and that is being conservative. People are bashing customers if they say it has been 3 years wait and that is the new normal and they are still waiting. The sour taste from cancelling an order after 2 years does not make the wounded feeling go away and in fact the time is an affront to the faith we put in Survive. I will state as fact that the new handles are not taking 4 times longer to grind into shape or a bevel is taking 4 times longer to grind on a belt sander.

Perhaps you should do another youtube video and give knives away so the attack dogs on Facebook Fan Page will continue to run off any dissenting customers and work hard to make them look unreasonable.

It is my hope that Survive Knives gets their act together but the level of dishonest time frames is troubling to me and many others. I hope that your new line of SK Knives get out soon but your statement on June 21, 2017 said this Preorder holders will see the biggest benefit from this change. In the past, we have been trying to increase our production run sizes to meet demand so preorders were only a portion of each run, with there being hundreds of blades for regular sales. Now, the extra materials are slated for SK production, so the SURVIVE! Workshop will be focusing all of our attention on fulfilling existing GSO orders. While this will speed up delivery times, there are still a lot of preorders that we are working our way through. There is no magic button that will allow us to suddenly fulfill those existing orders all at once. With that being said, the GSO-4.1 and GSO-7/7 materials are all here and preorders are being fulfilled in regular batches. Once those are shipped we’ll have completed 90% of the SURVIVE! Starter orders and will be more than halfway through all preorders. I hope this was not just a ploy to get people to send $$$$ in once again under some phony gofundme scam. Every single model was opened up to massive orders and I hope you are able to deliver them as you say you are because a large portion of your fan club are not going to keep sending in funds for GSOs that don't show up for years past delivery estimated time frame. Now those people who don't care about time have sent you money for the quicker delivery of the SK line which by the way you said would be shipped in 8 months and the bogus 5 day out the door policy story that changed as questions were asked. When you posted this NEWS you said it would speed up delivery times and inferred NOW not when they are produced because you said you were not going to start making the SK line till GSO orders were done and then the story changed again.

I trusted Survive Knvies and put faith in your Company and see that since you got paid up front it was a win/ win situation for you and you ceased to care about the people that buy your product. While $25 is not much money I am sure your happy to get any funds sent in on all levels. Lets see if the orders are opening up soon with some promise of a faster delivery time soon as it is about that time again.

One thing is certain is that Changing Statements are made with the flow of upset customers. I could tell of all the so called estimated deadlines and it is okay that they are missed by a few months if that meant they are sent out. Lets focus on the 7/7 for now. You said that all the parts were in and inspection were done and that the knives would be sent out by years end of 2016. Early 2017 the same statement was made followed by a statement on May 11, 2017 you stated that surface finishing were about done and would be shipping soon. May 10, 2017 you said We are over half way through the GSO-7/7 Starter orders also. By the end of this week I should have all of those Starter and preorders surface finished and we'll transition to handle fitment and finishing. After that they're all going to start heading out the door! I know it has been a long wait but with getting our production wrinkles ironed out, it won't be much longer. March of 2018 and your still on the orders from March/April 2015 or am I wrong because on Nov 2016 you said this The GSO-7/7's are back from heat treat and an initial QC has been done to sort out the good, bad and ugly. The scrap has been set aside, as well as blades that will need some light hand regrinding and fine tuning. We have begun finishing some of those blades and will be able to ship a few of the early orders over the next couple of weeks. So if you have been sending orders from March 2015 in Nov 2016 why are the first month still not sent out here in March of 2018? On Nov 22, 2016 you said this We have most of the materials for the GSO-7/7, and plan on starting to ship out the preorders around the beginning of the year. As stated on our how to buy page, presales are generally offered after the knives have finished production, but while we are still working on fulfilling existing preorders. The wait for these is shorter than the wait for a preorder, though it can still take us 3-8 months to get through the presale orders, depending on our current workload. Now you said that you would be done with the Preorders in 2016 and now it is 2018. August 26, 2016 you said this The GSO-7/7 blades are heading to heat treat, the last step in the heavy machining process. After that we will be doing the surface finishing and start getting those orders sharpened and built. Now that the blades exist, we are able to start designing the sheaths for those. We are expecting to start shipping the GSO-7/7 preorders in about 2-3 months, depending on how these final steps go. These statements are obtained from Facebook which now I rarely see updates anymore and I can see why.
To say that standards are the reasons it is taking longer doesn't make sense. To quote you above all the steps were done years ago. You are outsourcing just about all the steps to make the blade so why do you add 24 months to a knife in delivery time and that is being conservative. People are bashing customers if they say it has been 3 years wait and that is the new normal and they are still waiting. The sour taste from cancelling an order after 2 years does not make the wounded feeling go away and in fact the time is an affront to the faith we put in Survive. I will state as fact that the new handles are not taking 4 times longer to grind into shape or a bevel is taking 4 times longer to grind on a belt sander.

Perhaps you should do another youtube video and give knives away so the attack dogs on Facebook Fan Page will continue to run off any dissenting customers and work hard to make them look unreasonable.

It is my hope that Survive Knives gets their act together but the level of dishonest time frames is troubling to me and many others. I hope that your new line of SK Knives get out soon but your statement on June 21, 2017 said this Preorder holders will see the biggest benefit from this change. In the past, we have been trying to increase our production run sizes to meet demand so preorders were only a portion of each run, with there being hundreds of blades for regular sales. Now, the extra materials are slated for SK production, so the SURVIVE! Workshop will be focusing all of our attention on fulfilling existing GSO orders. While this will speed up delivery times, there are still a lot of preorders that we are working our way through. There is no magic button that will allow us to suddenly fulfill those existing orders all at once. With that being said, the GSO-4.1 and GSO-7/7 materials are all here and preorders are being fulfilled in regular batches. Once those are shipped we’ll have completed 90% of the SURVIVE! Starter orders and will be more than halfway through all preorders. I hope this was not just a ploy to get people to send $$$$ in once again under some phony gofundme scam. Every single model was opened up to massive orders and I hope you are able to deliver them as you say you are because a large portion of your fan club are not going to keep sending in funds for GSOs that don't show up for years past delivery estimated time frame. Now those people who don't care about time have sent you money for the quicker delivery of the SK line which by the way you said would be shipped in 8 months and the bogus 5 day out the door policy story that changed as questions were asked. When you posted this NEWS you said it would speed up delivery times and inferred NOW not when they are produced because you said you were not going to start making the SK line till GSO orders were done and then the story changed again.

I trusted Survive Knvies and put faith in your Company and see that since you got paid up front it was a win/ win situation for you and you ceased to care about the people that buy your product. While $25 is not much money I am sure your happy to get any funds sent in on all levels. Lets see if the orders are opening up soon with some promise of a faster delivery time soon as it is about that time again.
Well said.

I sure did predict it didn't I. My last statement was they would come up with a new motto to get knives out faster. Well Millet has not produced a single SK 12 or 5.1 in the past year which was suppose to be shipping out in 8 months and they would have so many that within 5 days of ordering those knives would ship. I am going to say nobody got a single knife from Millet yet have they. So in a whole year they can't make one knife but now they are moving the entire operation to Millet. Ok you can't even make this up just how long will it take now to get a model out? Time to give up hope and find another knife maker that cares. I bet the new information in the next update is ordering is opening again and you will get your knife faster now that they are under one roof. Now remember they said the professionals outsourcing model they had before was working fine and that the hangup was the improved quality. After all it must be true since a year has pasted and not ONE SK 12 has made it to the ones that paid for them.

Oh they don't call it story telling for a reason. Now they are at Millet and no Millet was not at the ATL Blade Show either. The pictures they post looks like the same cast except one more person. Could that be what Millet is "just one person" it is certainly not some fancy knife company like they want you to believe. To those that think your getting your 7/7 soon I am now just shaking my head because after 2 years of lies they are not closer to getting the preorders out the door. Oh the good news is that the SK 3.5 were getting worked on so ask yourself what does that mean and from now on really look at the words they use. It would encourage you to paint a nice picture of them doing a lot of work but more could mean 2 knives a month instead of 1 knife a month. Larger Batches could mean just one more than last month so how do you prove it? 90 days doesn't mean 90 days when you click the 90 day window it has fine print that allows them to send it when they feel like it. The expression I got from people that know them were sad looking and that told me everything I need to know about Survive. The fanboys will get their pound of steel to show off and everyone will be like ooh they are making knives so let me stick it out but years past and your not even in the radar. Don't worry you will get another chance to send money in soon because the "back log" were suppose to be caught up but no knife is included in the back log as your idea of back log is not theirs. It has been the 3 months since that update was issued and not a single batch has been sent out to complete any model of GSO or SK and none of their faster times ever came true either.

Back