The official Challenge knife thread!Makers please confirm your entry

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by KFU, Jan 23, 2013.

1. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    On 2 of them, the makers already posted that they missed the "bushcrafting" partof the testing and anticipating a pure cutting competition went with thin blades in the 63-64 RC range. At that point, it the user was making a snap cut and applied some lateral stress while the knife was still in the branchlet, chipping does not surprise me.
    On Rick's knife, my suspicion is that there was a "bad spot" in the stock it was being hammered out of.
    Specifically an internal flaw that was drawn out during the forging.

there's another picture thread that shows Terrio's knife getting pounded on as well.

It was a hoot - and I brought some scraps home to mess around with.
    As to another gathering, we're having one up by Topeka July 5-7 if you want to come visit and bring toys for folks to play with.
    Otherwise, the next big one will be this fall, location to be determined.

2. Battle Creek Knives

Battle Creek Knives

Feb 23, 2010
    I really hope this falls gathering will 'fall' into the kind schedule for me... I'd really love to meet a lot of you guys, then there's the others also... :p I'm tempted to go sweat it out with you guys in July, but that time of year maybe something happening here we'll see... much closer for me and Don though...

3. 1066vik

1066vik Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    There's a small pond with hungry sunfish in it...

4. Mudbug007

Mudbug007

Nov 29, 2010
    I would love to make the one in Topeka but I have a family reunion that weekend :(. I may have some toys to send up though, I'll just have to dig around my toy box and see.

5. Jeremy Barnard

Jeremy Barnard

Jun 15, 2006
    I wonder if another of these challenges will be held any time soon?

6. deltablade

deltablade Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2006
    that is righteous

7. TMHunt

TMHunt Knifemaker/Moderator Moderator

Jan 15, 2012
    Why thank you sir!

8. nikosia7

nikosia7

Oct 25, 2011
    Man, that is crazy beautiful!! Question for you leather experts...can an already stained built sheath be re-tooled and stained? Also, thinking about adding copper rivets. Thanks

9. nikosia7

nikosia7

Oct 25, 2011
    Man, that is crazy beautiful!! Question for you leather experts...can an already stained built sheath be re-tooled and stained? Also, thinking about adding copper rivets. Thanks