The Official Massachusetts Knife Law Thread

how about a modified itiallian stiletto switchblade w/o a spring with a blade of 4 inches that can be drawn from the sidewith a flick of the wrist?

The 1.5" inch limitation modifies any knife between the "or," and therefore applies only to: any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle.

Boston is 2.5", but is everywhere else in MA 1.5"? All these laws are just for carrying on your person or in a vehicle correct?

That is incorrect, as far as the 1.5 blade length for the rest of the state. I believe that is for auto knives.

I went to the USS Constitution yesterday with my family. My 18 year old son had his butterfly knife confiscated and a background check run on him by a National Park Service officer. He purchased the knife earlier this week at a mall in Massachusetts. This is what got me to sign up for this forum. We looked at the laws and were left scratching our heads. All I can come up with is that someone, somwhere along the way, has interpreted the law to say that butterfly knives are illegal. This is probably a case of perception becoming reality. The best advice is to not become the test case.

I know this is a knife forum, but I am having trouble finding information -
how is the legality for carrying a tool like a katana in MA?

Thanks!

I know this is a knife forum, but I am having trouble finding information -
how is the legality for carrying a tool like a katana in MA?

Thanks!

Exactly how is a katana a tool? I can't see any plausible reason to carry one around, unless you are a zombie hunter. Are you?

I live in western MA, and I carry an Leatherman Charge, a Benchmade 937 and a Benchmade 42 balisong knife.

According to the chief of police in Dalton, MA the state laws allow single edged knives of any length.

Unfortunately I did not have the balisong when I talked to him, so I didn't ask about it, but from what I have gathered, they are legal as long as they are single edged. The only danger you might have is if it is considered a gravity knife. My BM 42 has a very strong spring clip making it difficult to open with one hand, which means that there is almost no chance that they cold see it as a gravity knife. If it did not lock securely, then I might be a little nervous about carrying it.

According to the MA laws, Boston does have a 2.5 inch limit on all blades, but luckily I don't go to Boston more than once every 5 years or so.

Edit: I almost forgot, my school bag I carry in college has a 6" Swamp Rat knife in it. (College is in Springfield, MA)

In MA local ordinances vary. So state law is one thing, but localities are another. My town, Chelsea, allows 4" by 1" blade, I think, and no machetes, either! As earlier posts state, Boston apparently allows 2.5". Saugus, for example, just passed a 2.5" limit. I've heard some other communities also have this pitiful 2.5" ordinance. Often enforcement comes down to the discretion of a police officer.

I live in western MA, and I carry an Leatherman Charge, a Benchmade 937 and a Benchmade 42 balisong knife.

According to the chief of police in Dalton, MA the state laws allow single edged knives of any length.

Unfortunately I did not have the balisong when I talked to him, so I didn't ask about it, but from what I have gathered, they are legal as long as they are single edged. The only danger you might have is if it is considered a gravity knife. My BM 42 has a very strong spring clip making it difficult to open with one hand, which means that there is almost no chance that they cold see it as a gravity knife. If it did not lock securely, then I might be a little nervous about carrying it.

According to the MA laws, Boston does have a 2.5 inch limit on all blades, but luckily I don't go to Boston more than once every 5 years or so.

Edit: I almost forgot, my school bag I carry in college has a 6" Swamp Rat knife in it. (College is in Springfield, MA)

I've heard the same rule, that butterflies are legal as long as they are single edged. I live in eastern Mass. I have a friend who's uncle is chief of police in Haverhill, near where I live. He told me that butterflies are considered switchblades, and are therefore illegal. What exactly is a switchblade?
Also, how are they seen as gravity knives? I know that they use momentum to open(I have one), but gravity is not the main factor. Who decides that it's a gravity knife? Thanks.

Last edited:
I've heard the same rule, that butterflies are legal as long as they are single edged. I live in eastern Mass. I have a friend who's uncle is chief of police in Haverhill, near where I live. He told me that butterflies are considered switchblades, and are therefore illegal. What exactly is a switchblade?
Also, how are they seen as gravity knives? I know that they use momentum to open(I have one), but gravity is not the main factor. Who decides that it's a gravity knife? Thanks.
The Haverhill police chief is definitely wrong. A butterfly knife is considered to be in the same category as any other locking folder here in MA. Now, it may be illegal to carry in jurisdictions that have local ordinances outlawing the in-public carrying of any knife with a blade over 2.5", but the design itself is not illegal. Unless it has a push-button that opens the blade automatically or actually fires the blade out of the handle (ballistic knife), the knife is legal to possess and carry in MA. Do not rely on cops for interpretations of weapons laws. Most do not know what they are talking about.

The Haverhill police chief is definitely wrong. A butterfly knife is considered to be in the same category as any other locking folder here in MA. Now, it may be illegal to carry in jurisdictions that have local ordinances outlawing the in-public carrying of any knife with a blade over 2.5", but the design itself is not illegal. Unless it has a push-button that opens the blade automatically or actually fires the blade out of the handle (ballistic knife), the knife is legal to possess and carry in MA. Do not rely on cops for interpretations of weapons laws. Most do not know what they are talking about.

I don't carry any of my butterflies, especially now since I'm at school(they didn't appreciate my 2" folding assisted Kershaw).
For automatic opening knives, is it possible to get a collector's permit, or is that not even a thing? I was talking to a classmate who said that I could do that if I wanted to add automatics to my collection.
Also, what are the laws on the possession(not so much carrying) of throwing stars, brass knuckles, and OTF switchblades?
Thank you.

I don't carry any of my butterflies, especially now since I'm at school(they didn't appreciate my 2" folding assisted Kershaw).
For automatic opening knives, is it possible to get a collector's permit, or is that not even a thing? I was talking to a classmate who said that I could do that if I wanted to add automatics to my collection.
Also, what are the laws on the possession(not so much carrying) of throwing stars, brass knuckles, and OTF switchblades?
Thank you.
No such thing as a "collector's permit" in MA. The only weapon licenses are firearm licenses (Class A & B LTC (License to Carry) and Class C and D FID (Firearm Identification Cards). Any type of knife can be possessed in one's home in MA. Switchblades, ballistic-knives that actually fire a blade out the end and double-edged knives (daggers, dirks) are illegal to carry in public (felony!). You can legally purchase these types of knives in NH and keep them in your home in MA. The problem is the transportation aspect. Unless they are transported by a common carrier (UPS, Fed Ex, etc.) it is impossible to legally get them from the out of state dealer to your MA home without committing a felony. If you do purchase automatic knives or double-edged blades out of state, your best bet would be to keep them in a locked container in the trunk of your car during the trip home. Throwing stars, martial arts weapons (nunchakus, etc.) and impact weapons such as blackjacks, saps and brass knuckles fall into the same category. Legal to keep at home, but felony to carry in public in MA.

No such thing as a "collector's permit" in MA. The only weapon licenses are firearm licenses (Class A & B LTC (License to Carry) and Class C and D FID (Firearm Identification Cards). Any type of knife can be possessed in one's home in MA. Switchblades, ballistic-knives that actually fire a blade out the end and double-edged knives (daggers, dirks) are illegal to carry in public (felony!). You can legally purchase these types of knives in NH and keep them in your home in MA. The problem is the transportation aspect. Unless they are transported by a common carrier (UPS, Fed Ex, etc.) it is impossible to legally get them from the out of state dealer to your MA home without committing a felony. If you do purchase automatic knives or double-edged blades out of state, your best bet would be to keep them in a locked container in the trunk of your car during the trip home. Throwing stars, martial arts weapons (nunchakus, etc.) and impact weapons such as blackjacks, saps and brass knuckles fall into the same category. Legal to keep at home, but felony to carry in public in MA.

Okay, awesome. That clears up everything, thank you.

I have been arrested in MA for carrying a "flipper" knife, yes a flipper knife...but i only paid $100 fine.

You better believe a moody cop will consider a flipper a spring assisted, he did to me. I was arrested and charged with carrying a dangerious weapon, they wanted to take me to trial and everything, but i opted for a fine and a dismissal instead.

Back