1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 20 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker BO734 Urban Trapper Cocobolo, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday May 18!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, May 19 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

The Old and the New - Sleeveboard

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by lambertiana, Mar 8, 2014.

1. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    And now that I have a GEC 79 I can compare it to some old sleeveboards:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left to right:
    NYKC 1856-1931 bone
    Cattaraugus 1886-1963 bone
    Axel Nilsson 1900-1914 ebony
    GEC 79 African blackwood
    Maher & Grosh 1877-198? ebony

For period reference, first a page from the 1886 HSB catalog
    [​IMG]

A Maher & Grosh ad from about 1877
    [​IMG]

And a NYKC from a 1902 catalog
    [​IMG]

2. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Again, Awesome Thread Lambetiana - I like the way you have set out the thread with comparisons - together with the fantastic old Brochures-a lot of trouble you have gone to-thank you for that kind Sir-by the way THAT Axel Nilsson is just a superb looking knife-can you tell me about it, and if I could trouble you to show more please- thanks again!
    By the way - I was surprised at the agreesive advertising wording in the Maher & Grosh Brochure/pamphlet- #59 - "The large class of idiots who worship everything English...."

3. Rsmith_77

Rsmith_77

Jun 4, 2010
    hehe i see what your talking about there about the english quote, too funny
    i agree, lots of effort putting these together, great layout!

but i got a question. whats the deal with the sleeveboards? its it purely aesthetic? or is there a traditional, functional reason for the handles to be this sorta shape? I am curious since this is another pattern outside of my experience. thanks in advance!

Ryan

4. Pipeman

Pipeman

Dec 2, 2004
    Here are a few asst. sleeveboards. Happy Sunday folks.

Best regards
    Robin
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]

5. smiling-knife

smiling-knife

Nov 11, 2006
    I think the shape is very functional. On penknives and whittlers, the handle is wider at the master blade end for greater support and narrower at the small blade end.

[​IMG]

The sleeveboard shape is also very traditional for lobster patterns where the Y-shaped spring needs a wider handle at one end.

[​IMG]

6. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    The Axel Nilsson was made for J.M. Thompson Hardware in Minneapolis, Minnesota. There were a lot of Swedish immigrants in that area, so they played that up with both the name of the brand, and with a tang stamp that includes the words "Swedish Steel". Here are more pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. stevomiller

stevomiller

May 4, 2001

8. sceva

sceva Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Here is my Cattaraugus by AG Russell Sleeveboard Whittler.

Neat knife
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Redbeardo

Redbeardo

Dec 26, 2012
    Great knives! As I have mentioned a million times on the forum, the sleeveboard has been my favorite patterns for a while. The only one I have at the moment is this #79 but hopefully at some point will pick up a #26.
    [​IMG]

10. Mike Robuck

Mike Robuck Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 11, 2001
    That Axel is very nice. Here's a Remington "Bulldog."

[​IMG]

11. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Very interesting bone on that example Mike Robuck, kind of enhanced version of CASE's Amber Bone. Here's a 26 in Primitive Bone

[​IMG]

12. ptradeco

ptradeco Gold Member Gold Member

May 26, 2010
    It suits these smaller Sportsmans style knives quite well.

[​IMG]

13. WoodenChicken

WoodenChicken

Sep 11, 2008
    GEC.sleeve.jpg

I like this #26 in Banana Peel Bone