The one and only NWA Compact Kukuri!

Hi everyone,
Well Nick finally gave me the OK to post a few pictures of a recent project he did for me. I have always loved the Kukuri style of blade...except for the fact that they were too large for backpacking, hiking, etc. So I did a hand drawling of a "compact kukuri" with a 5" blade (a normal kukuri has around a 10-12" blade). Nick took my rather poor drawling and did his usual and made it look like a real knife. After a few tweaks using a soft metal template, Nick created this incredible knife. It is 440C stainless with a 5" blade and natural canvas handles. Included is one of Nick's great sheaths with the "dangler" with firesteel loop. But I would't dare ask Nick to make another...he told me it was a real pain to get the grind just right. So a few blurry pictures will need to do. This is a great example of Nick's true talent...he can take any drawling you have and turn it into a functional, hard working knife that will last a lifetime. Enjoy!
DSC02618.jpg

DSC02617.jpg

DSC02616.jpg

DSC02612.jpg

DSC02611.jpg

DSC02610.jpg

Well that's just plain sick! :thumbup: What a cool chopper in a small package

Nick is the Man. That lil' monster is out of control, out of the park, and off the hook. Two ecstatic thumbs up. :thumbup: :thumbup:

But damn if it doesn't look fantastic and simply ooze NWA quality. Part of the idea of a recurve is to improve chopping performance. Is that really possible with a 5" blade?

Thanks for pushing the edge of design though. I love it.

Thanks guys, and thank you Ian:thumbup:

This knife was a real bear to make. I had told Ian not to post pics as I didn't want to ever make another. After he sent me some pics I thought what the hell...... Post em dude everyone should have a chance to see this one:thumbup:

The hardest part, obviously, was that inside curve. Man what a pain to grind. Maybe if I made more with such a sharp curve it wouldn't have been so bad but this one was indeed tough to make.

It came out really nice though if I do say so myself:eek:

Thanks for posting it.
Nick:)

nick are you looking for more work knife making that is,:thumbup::thumbup: sent you pm thanks don b.

Redleg72 n we need more pics top back side thanks don b.:thumbup:

No problem on taking some more pictures. And yes for those who asked...this blade chops like a buzzsaw! The steep angle of the blade and the very high grind, along with a convex edge, makes this knife cut like a much larger blade. That good sized tree was cut in under one minute easy. And of course Nick's handle shape allows for "snap cuts" where you hold onto the bottom part of the handle (you see I added the lanyard) to give you a little more "reach."

I bet that was challenging to do, good job Nick :thumbup: That's a cool one of a kind you got there redleg, and like Rotte said, it definitely oozes NWA quality.

As promised...a few more shots of the knife. I included a few angle shots so you can see the wicked grind that Nick was able to do. I also included a comparison shot. On top is the full size kukuri I based my drawling on. The middle is the compact version and the bottom is one of Nick's Hunter/Skinner models.
DSC02636.jpg

DSC02635.jpg

DSC02634.jpg

DSC02633.jpg

DSC02631.jpg

I think it looks GREAT !!!! I'd love to see what you could do w/a nice O1, A2 or D2 full sized Kukri... Hint Hint... Wink Wink... :D

That knife looks GREAT!!!! Congrats Redleg72 on talking Nick into doing that! It's definately the coolest little kukhri I've ever seen. Awesome job Nick!

Nick, great job bro!! If you ever decide to punish yourself again by producing another one of these, let me know!
Redleg, great job on the concept as well.

Back