The Osprey Knife & Tool EDU

I decided to open up a thread to discuss the EDU and show some pictures.
There are some active members who have EDU's so I am hoping they will chime in as well.
I will kick it off with some pictures and a video I shot this afternoon.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki[/url[URL="https://public.fotki.com/Ospreyknifeandtool/osprey-knife-and-tool-1/41-510177041943.html"]Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on FotkiHosted on Fotki

[video=youtube;OJ-YNnZK6h0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ-YNnZK6h0[/video]

I like!!!

"Organic ravioli" duly noted [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once did this while drunk with a Kershaw Leek. Buddy was being a dick about feeding his kid's dog, so I grabbed the can and cut it open. Broke the tip and chipped about half of the edge away. I would recommend the EDU for such tasks. I would not recommend the Kershaw.

Now I want....need one

I plan to have one in the next sales thread and plans to make more after that.

I like!!!

"Organic ravioli" duly noted [emoji106]

:thumbup: I try and eat as much unprocessed and organic as I can.

I once did this while drunk with a Kershaw Leek. Buddy was being a dick about feeding his kid's dog, so I grabbed the can and cut it open. Broke the tip and chipped about half of the edge away. I would recommend the EDU for such tasks. I would not recommend the Kershaw.

Sounds like we need to hook you up with and EDU for such occasions!

There was 1 you made last year that I wish I would have grabbed

I took some quick comparison photos today. I hope they aid in a decision for anyone on the fence with making an EDU as their next Osprey.

I really like this model. My sentiments have been stated before on one of the threads here and pretty much match what Chris has recently posted on this model. Simply put, the EDU is a small knife well suited for average day to day tasks. The mundane stuff: opening mail, slicing into packages, breaking down boxes, or cutting one of the thousand zip ties they lock down kid’s toys with to the boxes nowadays. Any of those non specific chores you reach for or want for a knife, the EDU is a fine choice. Everyday User or Everyday Utility.

The overall size I find to be great; not too big, not too small. The 6.375” OAL works well however you want to carry the EDU. Crossdraw it disappears on your belt, while in a good pocket sheath it does not have the same bulk as some of the Hiking Buddy or Handyman sized knives people tend to ISP carry. The 3” blade is a good size for a more discrete daily carry, with plenty of length for a large range of duties. Mine rotates mostly between front and back pocket, but I always like carrying crossdraw.

Unlike an actual utility blade with a straight cutting edge, the EDU has a subtle sweep. I think this opens up how you would cut with the knife in slicing motions yet still giving you a usable tip for scoring. The point on the EDU, while fine, is great for getting into tight spots or corners, precision penetration for starting a cut and even digging out the odd splinter - all of which I have done with my EDU. A recent project is using the EDU to cut and trim leather for its own sheath (so I can return the stubby sheath to its rightful knife), but I have also enjoyed having the EDU for running electrical, cutting rubber tubing and drainage pipe among other things.

Chris so far has not played with any goofy, overly thick steel on the EDUs he has offered. The 3/32” and ⅛” standard for this model are just right for a little razor. He has also started offering EDUs with lanyard tubes for those who like to add lanyards for extra grip.

The EDU is a cool AND useful little knife with a non generic look to it. If you have the chance, try one out. You might enjoy it.

Comparison photos

Top to bottom: Esquire, Sylverfalcen, EDU, Stubby Muk, Runt
33077367022_51234704ac_c.jpg

33077368632_17f7b63405_c.jpg

33233935155_5ee32d8cc0_c.jpg

With a Victorinox Farmer
33077368212_7351688b27_c.jpg

With a Chris Reeves small Inkosi
33233933935_30aaa4f356_c.jpg

Some in hand shots
33233935505_d64373e5d8_c.jpg

33077369602_ab8e327234_c.jpg

33077370222_0e15914648_c.jpg

32419020383_87fbd92318_c.jpg

I grip the EDU like this a lot (apologies for the dirty nails, though surprised they were this clean :)

33077370552_2d85f05d02_c.jpg

33077371112_b397bb1dc0_c.jpg

33077370972_20cdd6a895_c.jpg

My personal EDU. Really like it, but if I would like it better if it had a lanyard hole (personal preference).

P9260452-vi.jpg

My personal EDU. Really like it, but if I would like it better if it had a lanyard hole (personal preference).

P9260452-vi.jpg

I have a greater respect for sheath makers after a couple fitment failures once the pattern was cut on leather for my EDU. I should have started with a simple pouch sheath, but it will be fun to pick up a new skill. My EDU has been loosely riding in one of your stubby muk sheaths inside a pocket for a while now. It will be nice to have something tighter to keep on the belt more often. I should have just picked up an EDU sheath from you a long time ago.

Last edited:
I have a greater respect for sheath markers after a couple fitment failures once the pattern was cut on leather for my EDU. I should have started with a simple pouch sheath, but it will be fun to pick up a new skill. My EDU has been loosely riding in one of your stubby muk sheaths inside a pocket for a while now. It will be nice to have something tighter to keep on the belt more often. I should have just picked up an EDU sheath from you a long time ago.

There's one available on my webstore. Listed under 'General Sheaths'. ;)

I took some quick comparison photos today. I hope they aid in a decision for anyone on the fence with making an EDU as their next Osprey.

I really like this model. My sentiments have been stated before on one of the threads here and pretty much match what Chris has recently posted on this model. Simply put, the EDU is a small knife well suited for average day to day tasks. The mundane stuff: opening mail, slicing into packages, breaking down boxes, or cutting one of the thousand zip ties they lock down kid’s toys with to the boxes nowadays. Any of those non specific chores you reach for or want for a knife, the EDU is a fine choice. Everyday User or Everyday Utility.

The overall size I find to be great; not too big, not too small. The 6.375” OAL works well however you want to carry the EDU. Crossdraw it disappears on your belt, while in a good pocket sheath it does not have the same bulk as some of the Hiking Buddy or Handyman sized knives people tend to ISP carry. The 3” blade is a good size for a more discrete daily carry, with plenty of length for a large range of duties. Mine rotates mostly between front and back pocket, but I always like carrying crossdraw.

Unlike an actual utility blade with a straight cutting edge, the EDU has a subtle sweep. I think this opens up how you would cut with the knife in slicing motions yet still giving you a usable tip for scoring. The point on the EDU, while fine, is great for getting into tight spots or corners, precision penetration for starting a cut and even digging out the odd splinter - all of which I have done with my EDU. A recent project is using the EDU to cut and trim leather for its own sheath (so I can return the stubby sheath to its rightful knife), but I have also enjoyed having the EDU for running electrical, cutting rubber tubing and drainage pipe among other things.

Chris so far has not played with any goofy, overly thick steel on the EDUs he has offered. The 3/32” and ⅛” standard for this model are just right for a little razor. He has also started offering EDUs with lanyard tubes for those who like to add lanyards for extra grip.

The EDU is a cool AND useful little knife with a non generic look to it. If you have the chance, try one out. You might enjoy it.

Comparison photos

Top to bottom: Esquire, Sylverfalcen, EDU, Stubby Muk, Runt
33077367022_51234704ac_c.jpg

33077368632_17f7b63405_c.jpg

33233935155_5ee32d8cc0_c.jpg

With a Victorinox Farmer
33077368212_7351688b27_c.jpg

With a Chris Reeves small Inkosi
33233933935_30aaa4f356_c.jpg

Some in hand shots
33233935505_d64373e5d8_c.jpg

33077369602_ab8e327234_c.jpg

33077370222_0e15914648_c.jpg

32419020383_87fbd92318_c.jpg

I grip the EDU like this a lot (apologies for the dirty nails, though surprised they were this clean :)

33077370552_2d85f05d02_c.jpg

33077371112_b397bb1dc0_c.jpg

33077370972_20cdd6a895_c.jpg

Danny,

That was a great write up on the EDU, like you stated we share the same sentiment towards the knife's purpose. You were far more eloquent in your description and could not have explained its usefulness better myself.

I really like the pictures you took of the different positions of you hold the EDU, I think this really helps convey to people its potential better than a portrait photograph

I do like the Joufuu style cross draw sheath for the EDU. It provides many carry options if you are like me and do not like excess in your pockets. The canted cross draw feature allows you to carry this useful little blade at the beltline with minimal obstruction and ease of access, you pretty much forget it's there until you need it.

I am glad you mentioned the Zip ties, and the scoring of wire, I have used my EDU on zip ties as well and disposable razor blades do not fare too well unless brand spanking new. I don't really run into the need to score wire very often. I have had a hand full of people who are electricians and Linemen for the power company and they all seem to like the EDU and stated that it would be a good fit for their professional needs.

Thanks you for this awesome post, and taking the time to take the pictures. I always enjoy reading your perspective when you post something up like this. I will read it again and again!

P9260452-vi.jpg

We can remedy that Bud, you know where to find me!

Thank you for sharing your pictures and providing your input. Much appreciated!

There was 1 you made last year that I wish I would have grabbed

Is this the one you are referring too? I could be way off but I have a hunch.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

This one sat for a little bit I remember. I posted it up on Facebook, and one of my Army buddies contacted me because he wanted to buy it for his wife. I am pretty sure she still carries it. If it is this one. I would be inclined to make something similar sometime, when I find a piece of wood that will compliment the color scheme comparably.

Let me know?

That's the one!

Noted! I am glad I was right! I seem to have a knack of remembering who likes what for the most part I wish I was that good with names, :DLOL. I haven't seen you post too much and was surprised I remembered correctly. I try to pay attention

Every Damn one of U should have an EDU.

LOl, what he said :D:thumbup:

Got mine in 1/8" thick CPM-154 in Lightning Strike CF w/ a nice taper, now I want / need one in 3/32" with a lanyard hole. I sure hope Chris is listening !

I am listening, sounds like I need to make more EDU's , It's looking like April 2017 is going to be a EDU month. :D:thumbup:

Got mine in 1/8" thick CPM-154 in Lightning Strike CF w/ a nice taper, now I want / need one in 3/32" with a lanyard hole. I sure hope Chris is listening !
Sounds real nice. I bet it glistens just right in that southern sunshine.

If I were to add a second EDU, my vote would be yes on a lanyard hole. Some copper liners, copper pins and a copper lanyard hole under one of the copper infused carbon fibers could be interesting. But I have to say this model is still a looker in simple natural micarta or black g10.

I love my EDU. I had two of them but a coworker liked one so much it's his now. Everyone should own one!

As already said I also would like a lanyard hole on mine.

Here are some beauty shots.

69f1224adefb47f9ffe1a88e6fe0c25c.jpg
5db8bc9581d83e441f27f0c07f6d7b7e.jpg
0a691ebbcf7e5ce40bb1cab688d3b314.jpg
f5c1864ed4e341dddf4404a6a8405273.jpg
9637e8495aba44b1eada82560fa9dc24.jpg

Back