The Peach Pruner!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waynorth, Oct 31, 2019.

1. HST

HST Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Great knives, everyone.

As a native Georgian, Peach Pruners do intrigue me, however, in the Peach State, we just pick, wash, and eat peaches. I’m sure not all, but my yard is eat immediately, with no wash needed.

My only pruner is on a Vic Farmer. I use it for all my horticulture needs, and it is my favorite tool to use, as such.

D51E7BA0-04BC-45E8-870D-C387B54C3A72.jpeg

I had to cut back my peach trees last week - I miss their fruit.

FOG2 likes this.
  2. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014

Lee, very nice and very unusual to see an American made one, can't recall ever seeing another.

Forgot I have this Saynor, picked it out of a junk box at a knife show, shown next to a full size T. Hague pruner.

IMG_0991.jpg IMG_0993.jpg IMG_0987.jpg

3. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Great Stag on both, John!!:cool::cool:

Did I miss a reference? What does "Scargill Croft" refer to Jack??
    @Jack Black

Jack Black and Augie like this.
  4. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Not posted for a while, this is the first pruner this city slicker collected, years ago!!:eek: Considered a Peach Pruner by those who know, I bought this off the "Big site" before I even knew who Jack Black was!! (Hi Jack!):rolleyes: @Jack Black
    I just always like the proportions of this knife, and I'd never heard of A.Wright before I bought it!! It's still a simple Horn-Handled beauty!!:cool::D A.Wright PP 1.jpg A.Wright PP 2.jpg A.Wright PP 3.jpg
    They used a brass or bronze pivot pin back then!! A.Wright PP 4.jpg A.Wright PP 5.jpg

5. Bartleby

Bartleby

Oct 28, 2005
    Would the brass handled Tyne knife qualify as a peach pruner?

waynorth likes this.
  6. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Absolutely, Chin!!:) Compact, easily carried. Probably has many more uses!!
    This one has a full flat grind on the pile side, so would be handy for budding and grafting also!! Notice this one still has the factory edge!!:cool: Tyne by IXL 1.jpg Tyne by IXL 2.jpg Tyne by IXL 3.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Campbellclanman, FOG2 and JohnDF like this.
  7. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Sorry for the VERY slow reply Charlie, that sign is at the corner of Bank Street and Scargill Croft, where in the 1820's, and until around 1840, Thomas Saynor, was based.

Going back to the discussion about the provenance of the Peach Pruner name, In Charles Mackintosh's 1855 treatise, The Book of the Garden, referring to another branch of the Saynor family, Saynor Cooke & Ridal, he praises their Peach Pruners as "deservedly popular".

Very nice indeed Charlie :) I'm glad we know each other now! :D :) :thumbsup:

waynorth likes this.
  8. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Gorgeous Knives, awesome communication and discussions from Great Traditionalists- hows that for a great Breakfast read for this Kiwi!!!

waynorth and Jack Black like this.
  9. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Me too Jack!! You help make this knife business fun, Old Friend!!:D

Campbellclanman and Jack Black like this.
  10. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks buddy :D You were one of my very first pals here on The Porch Charlie, and I will never forget your kindness :) :thumbsup:

Campbellclanman and waynorth like this.
  11. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Back at ya!!;)

Campbellclanman and Jack Black like this.
  12. Bartleby

Bartleby

Oct 28, 2005
    A have a minty Wolstenholm that was ground on both sides, as well as a not so minty one with the full flat grind that rides in the saddle bag of my restored Raleigh 3 speed. It has trimmed its fair share of overhanging nature from the bike path. The point works very well at levering out the little goathead thorns that find their way into the tires from time to time. The brass has held up very well to saddle bag carry. Like others in the peach pruner family, it is large enough to be useful, but small enough to take along.

waynorth, Jack Black and r8shell like this.
  13. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    The nice thing about those brass handles is, you don't have to worry about them too much! Indeed a perfect knife to knock around in a "saddlebag!!

Campbellclanman likes this.