1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The Ploughman's Lunch

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waynorth, May 21, 2017.

1. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    While visiting Ottawa on a "whirlwind wedding weekend" I managed to sneak away and visit a few antique stores. Limited luck produced two knives that inspired this thread. Not what I am usually looking for, being a folder seeker, but I think hanging around with the likes of Jack Black, and fondly viewing his kitchen table:rolleyes:, has influenced me to broaden my horizons.:)
    First is this heavy-duty cheese cutter. I have never had or used one before, and was pleasantly surprised by its performance!

Cheese Big 1.jpg Cheese Big 2.jpg
    In the same antique "mall", attracted by its brand, "Clauss", this bread-slicer appeared before my eyes!!
    Bread Big 4.jpg Bread Big 2.jpg Bread Big 3.jpg Bread Big 1.jpg

Bread Big 5.jpg
    So with such treasures at hand, how could I resist trying them out??!!:D

Plow 1.JPG
    And it seemed appropriate to use some period (sort of) utensils to consume that lovely food!

Plowmans lunch 1.jpg

I think of a Ploughman's lunch as a British creation, but there are many "fusion" elements to this delightful repast!
    - Asiago cheese (It)
    - Caraway rye bread (Can - Jewish style)
    - American knives (not sure about the cheese knife) (US)
    - Italian folder (It)
    - Sheffield fork (I think) (UK)
    - German pickled onions (D)
    - California Ale (US)
    - local cuke - hothouse.
    Delicious!!:D

navin74, Dr-Mabuse, Bugdoc and 14 others like this.
  2. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Nice! I'm headed for the fridge!

3. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    :thumbsup:

You're making me hungry.

4. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Man, I can't wait to see what's for dinner!

5. spycycle

spycycle

Dec 15, 2014
    Looks delicious! And that bread knife is wicked cool...

6. rockman0

rockman0 Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2013
    Love the old knife!

7. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Hope you all have a nice dinner tonight!!
    Lunch was so good, I am done for the day!!:D

8. AShearer

AShearer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2016
    Oh Charlie! I'm so stuffed already from graduation barbecues today, I can hardly look. But I did:)
    Very cool old utensils all in sir:thumbsup:

9. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    Nice diverse cutlery compilation, Charlie. Extra points for putting them all to use!

10. Jody744

Jody744 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2009
    My culinary experience was not as diverse today, and I did not take any pics with my phone. We did eat at O'charleys in Villa Rica (sounds Spanish) for my mom's 74th bday. I had the steak and salmon combo (land and sea) using my GEC 15 HJ in ebony to make quick work of the steak. For supper had leftover smoked meats from kid #3 16th bday party last night, boston butt (northern!) and bacon wrapped, sausage stuffed tenderloin! Fine food, family, company, and cutlery. A blessed Sunday for sure.
    That Clauss though, nice find!

11. jakemex

jakemex

Oct 19, 2011
    Mmmmm. A little bit o bread and cheese! No rye to be found in this area.:( That cheese knife looks like it might have some slight resistance the farther it goes into the cheese. More fun to use I'm sure than a "piano wire" style cutter!

12. supratentorial

supratentorial

Dec 19, 2006
    Neat finds, Charlie :thumbsup:

neal70 likes this.
  13. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Nice finds! I normally stick to folders but recently got on a random tool kick and picked up an axe and a fleam. Glad you put those kitchen utensils to work:thumbsup:

14. WA Martin

WA Martin

Jan 23, 2007
    Is the cheese knife one like what they "break" the parmesan wheels with? Or does it just give a nice solid grip while cutting down through your brick of cheese?

15. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Very cool post Charlie, and some very nice finds there my friend :thumbsup: Yep, the table knife is from Sheffield, don't you have a matching knife too (though the one pictured with it is gorgeous)? :)

16. Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call

Jan 3, 2013
    Very cool knives and a nice spread. What more does one need?

neal70 likes this.
  17. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Yes I have a matching knife, Jack! (A gift from a certain kitchen table as you know!) I just wanted to keep things a little less formal.

Wade, I believe you are right about the cheese knife. It is strong and easy to push hard, so would "break" a Parmesan wheel quite handily. But it also makes quick work of smaller chunks.

Aside, I know Case made some folders for Clauss. I wonder if the bread knife is a contract piece, or if Clauss made it! Anyone?

neal70 likes this.
  18. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Your memory is better than mine my friend! :) :thumbsup:

19. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    No-one has told me that for a while, Jack!!:D

20. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005