The 'PLUMB' 3^5 debate... w/pics

i thought that i would start a new thread for the continued discussion on odd axe head weights.
here are a few pics and comparisons with a few different axes...

first is a pick of a 'plumb' 3^5 i recently got. i believe it is a delaware or also called a wide bit dayton pattern. i really like the looks of this axe, i dont believe that i have ever seen one like this before. the edge was in bad shape and im no where near done with it, but it is a good looking axe IMO. i really dig the bevels...;)
as you can see, it is marked 3^5 and it weighs 3 lbs 5 oz.

P1020168.jpg

P1020171.jpg

next is a comparison in size with a conneticut pattern TT kelly works 'worlds finest'. it weighs in at 2 3/4 lbs, another odd weight.

P1020178.jpg

P1020174.jpg

next is a comparison with another odd weight axe, the 3.3 lb GB american felling axe. one with the plumb and one with the 'worlds finest'.

P1020181.jpg

P1020182.jpg

so who else here as found any unusual weighted axes?

thoughts, disscusion...

Last edited:
Nice looking axes there bear!

Im glad my old thread sparked a good discussion. The rhyme and reason behind these weights would be nice to know.

I played with my plumb 3^5 tonight for the first time and man talk about BITE. Made light work of a tree :thumbup:

Oh and by the way how does the GB American felling axe compare to some of the older american made axes that you've redone?

I do have the GB Splitting axe and I love it. I like it better than fiskars and monster mauls and the like.

......first is a pick of a 'plumb' 3^5 ........the edge was in bad shape and im no where near done with it, but it is a good looking axe IMO.

I think it's a great looking axe. That little ding in the edge will file out easily. And other than that the edge looks pretty fresh - still straight - the toe hasn't been ground back so far like you see on many old axes.

My buddy has a modern (4-5 year old) 2-3/4 pound axe. It's not a bad weight for a feller. If you're in rough terrain with less than ideal footing then a little lighter axe makes for better control on upper cuts. And it still splits pretty well.

Speaking of odd weights, I have a hatchet-sized head with fat cheeks that weighs a full 2 pounds. Came on a hatchet sized haft. I'm thinking of hanging it on a 26" and using it as a boys axe.

Good looker. Certainly looks in decent enough condition, excluding that chip.

Oh and by the way how does the GB American felling axe compare to some of the older american made axes that you've redone?
Yes, I'd love to hear your thoughts on that, given the improbability of me finding a US feller like this in Blighty.

Speaking of odd weights, I have a hatchet-sized head with fat cheeks that weighs a full 2 pounds. Came on a hatchet sized haft. I'm thinking of hanging it on a 26" and using it as a boys axe.

Exactly the reason I need to stock up on some 24-26" hafts.

Bear:
That Kelly is a gem, I think it would be one of my favorite users. Looks a little oz'ish 3lb is a good weight for me now 2 3/4 would be funner:) . When I fell it is small diameter. I mostly chop and split downed stuff. I'm not a collector but I try to get differing weights in my axe stash to see which ones I like best.

What size handle are you thinking about putting on it 30, 32<?

Anyway I have a True Temper Kelly (steps away from computer to go find it among'st it's brothers on the wall) like your Plumb but at 3 1/2 lb After having used other fine vintage axes It has a heavy feel to it hard to explain maybe balance, other same weight axes feel better maybe the pattern. I seem to do really good with a friendly Michigan pattern.
I 'd be interested how your 3.5 Plumb ax feels after using it awhile.

About the weights maybe they wanted to save a little money like companies do nowadays for instance coffee bags seem to get lighter every time I buy one.
53 oz =3.5lb vs 56 oz=3 1/2 lb So for every ton of steel @53oz yields 603.77 ax versus 571 ax @56 or 32.7 more axes per ton of steel
After doing the math it doesn't seem like a lot of savings really.
Maybe steel was hard to come by at the time if made during war time in the 40's,I know Lantern company's had to use a special tin plate back then.
Maybe Plumb had a special order from someone in the timber business.
Just my random thoughts and speculation.
Maybe it was designed by a celebrity woodsman and 3.5 was the cats meow:D

thanks for the reply fellows and all good points!

zymologist;
IMO the GB AFA is hard to beat, but a nice old jersey definatly throughs the chips a little better. both styles are fine for the job. i have a 3 1/4lb TT KP that i do not have hung yet. i have been wanting to compare it with the GB since they are very close in weight. the others i have compared it to all were around the 4lb range. i would choose the GB anyday over something like your standared SB 'michigan' pattern (thats just me though). memphis and copperhill rave about the "chopping awsomeness" of the 'conneticut' pattern, so im looking forward to comparing that style with the GB and a 'jersey'...

cattledog;
i'm thinking i might put the 'worlds finest' (i got that thing for 6 bucks :D) on 30 or 32" haft...
i like your logic behind the steel savings in using just a few oz's less per axe. that makes perfect sense to me that it could have been made during wartime. maybe someone can shed more light about that. for now, thats definatly the best idea that i have heard!
im looking forward to trying out the plumb for sure (thinking about a 32" straight haft for that one). it looks like it would make a good chopper. as i said above, ive never seen one like that before... has anyone else?

operator;
have you found out any info?

Last edited:
Picture1183.jpg

Middle and left are 2 3/4 pound and 2 pound each.

Picture286.jpg

3 pound Bellknap (Kelly)

Picture077.jpg

I think this one is a 3 3/4 pound Snow and Nealley

I've picked up a lot of weird old axes for cheap at various places. A lot of them are probably weird weights just due to wear and tear.

Back