The Q Factor

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello knifenuts!

I'm just wrapping up this little knife design I've been working on and feel like it's time to show and tell a little bit. Q Factor is the name for this pattern, and it comes from the world of bicycles as a somewhat esoteric reference to the horizontal distance between the pedals, which coincidentally is not much different, (on my E MTB) than the overall length of this knife.

The S35VN blade is .156" thick, the hidden tang is tapered and the primary bevel has a smooth convex plane which I really like for the additional durability and quality of cut. I left it with a machine finish which is kind of new to me. It has a flat ground micro bevel, which was applied by hand via CBN stone, diamond sharpeners and ceramics. Length of the blade is about 3.5" and overall, the knife is about 7 3/8". The blade is held to G10 handle slabs with bronze pins, and the G10 frame is held in place on one handle scale with tiny stainless steel pins, (they're actually 14g bicycles spokes- HAHA!). Toughened epoxy keeps it all together.

These knives were ground freehand without the use of jigs, so the swedges and grind lines are all a little different. My priority was to have the edge as close to on center as I could achieve and I think I did pretty well with that. I could have done, and will do, better with the plunges but if you don't look too close they're ok ;)

Q Factor was designed for the outdoorsy person who appreciates minimalist gear that's up to the task with a minimum of weight and size. The target weight for these knives is 100-150 grams, and I've built 4 of them all at slightly different weights, handle thicknesses and materials, and variations of tip location. The sheaths are designed for neck or pocket carry via removable clip

unZ2lEM.jpg

GxeaGJu.jpg

fQAzBdE.jpg

TdY6JAZ.jpg

joiSsji.jpg

GWuDMu8.jpg

pkTs5ue.jpg

0oGhJ2e.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Nice looking knife, very functional looking design. Is that an E-Bike?

Apparently, there are like 1 million Qanon members. Put a big Q on the handle and you could sell a bunch on whatever site they frequent, I think Rumble and Telegraph are two of them. FYI, I'm not a member, just an opportunist.

Apparently, there are like 1 million Qanon members. Put a big Q on the handle and you could sell a bunch on whatever site they frequent, I think Rumble and Telegraph are two of them. FYI, I'm not a member, just an opportunist.
🤦‍♂️

I finished up the sheath for the prototype yesterday, and I'm happy with the results. It has a minimal footprint, it's very sturdy and retention is strong. So there are three more in the works for the remaining knives, with a couple small tweaks

I just finished the rest of these knives up and decided to move the OG post down here. I've had this knife in my pocket every day, and I'm super stoked on it! Pretty cool little knife, if I do say so myself :)

vpFnWvB.jpg

ltm3wXi.jpg

2OeQUW4.jpg

YBI7wEp.jpg

The knife I like most for riding and stuff is the Gryphon M10 designed by one of my favouritist knife makers, Bob Terzuola. You might notice some similarities here, but I did not intend to copy that design in any way.

KVZ7vHl.jpg

5S8jW9p.jpg

Pum31n9.jpg

rn122JE.jpg

I'm not sure what kind of G10 this is, but it has little brass flakes in it that look really nice in the right light

IB2SjbA.jpg

Last edited:
Back