The Quintessential Cadre

black mamba

Gold Member
We've had threads like this in the past, but the players change over time, and it should be new and fun once again. If you could only keep four knives that you currently own (oh my!), which ones would they be? Nostalgia, beauty, flawless workmanship, or just outright utility are some reasons I can think of, and I'm sure there are others. Post pics and explain why those four. Here are mine, from largest to smallest.

As a hunter, I've gotta have a fixed blade for use in the field. This bullnose skinner from BluntCut MetalWorks (Luong La) was a collaborative effort between us, and is my ultimate big game knife. CTS-XHP @ 65 HRc, with BluntCut's unsurpassed heat treat protocol, it is tough, corrosion resistant, and holds an edge forever.
LgKc2gU.jpg

Next is a Schatt & Morgan English Jack from 2005, when Bill Howard was still at the helm. Amazing bone, ATS-34 stainless steel, and the spear secondary was reground into a Wharncliffe by the master smith Don Hanson III. This one resides in our kitchen organizer and gets used daily.
jkGFIE1.jpg

The GEC Cuban Stockman is MY pattern, the one I have centered my collection on. The big equal end frame is a perfect display platform for a wide variety of handle material. This one is my favorite, the gnarly bark ram's horn. Not the rarest, but superbly matched from side to side, and altogether stunning.
MNZg6iP.jpg

This one is VERY special, for a couple of reasons. First, it's just the most gorgeous knife I own. The long pull clip, the triple threaded bolster and the glorious red stag just really work. Second, in a time of financial need I tried to sell the knife, but after paying for it the buyer said to keep the knife and the money. This one is never going to leave.
ik0xkG4.jpg

All special and beautiful Jeff! :thumbsup: Each in its own way! :cool: A great idea for a thread! :thumbsup:

I like your choices Jeff and the reasoning behind them. :thumbsup::thumbsup: I'll see what I come up with after giving it some thought. :)

I always enjoy these threads. It really makes me look hard at all my knives and give them all serious consideration. It's a fun process to go through once in a while. I'll surely be joining with my four soon enough... :cool::thumbsup:

Great choices and explanation! I’m looking forward to seeing, and hearing about, what everyone chooses. Will include my own after some thought...

This shouldn't take too long Jeff because I've recently had to seriously downsize where I had to make those decisions.
First is my teardrop stag with the clamshell shield that John Lloyd made for me. It's a representation of my home down south and the only knife I had a hand in designing.IMG_2232-1024x935.JPG
Second is also by John Lloyd. It was a gift out of the blue with a good old fashioned handwritten letter that means a lot to me. It's a brass zulu that has been extensively engraved by Tom Baldwin.IMG_1989-1024x873.JPG
Third is a coin knife that was a desire of mine for many years. It was exquisitely made by J.D. Ware. The coin itself has significant meaning.IMG_1815-1024x1111.JPG
The final knife is an easy choice. Is it a knife that I've carried and have great respect for such as my Douk-Douk or one of my Schrade wire jacks that I collect passionately? No, it has to be a SAK engraved with my initials that my youngest son surprised me with after spending a semester in Florence, Italy while an undergraduate. It is truly priceless and one I would never part with.image_copy_1024x804.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff, it didn't take me as long as I thought it was going too in choosing my top four keepers. I have received a few gift knives that I simply won't part with but these come immediately after those because of the way they fulfill my cutlery needs.

First I'd have to have a SAK. So I chose the Fieldmaster, basically a Farmer with back-tools, tweezers and toothpick. One of the most versatile yet pocket-able knives ever conceived. :cool:
oizw1kX.jpg

The Fieldmaster combined with this Puukko as my fixed blade and I'd pretty much be all set for knife needs... :eek:
xOPywC6.jpg

...but because I get two more choices I'll add...

...the GEC 74. I definitely want to keep a GEC and this one is my current favorite EDC. Perfect size, perfect pull and mine happens to have near perfect finish, plus it's stainless.:)
PBKF4gv.jpg

For my last selection I think I'd really like to keep one of the excellent BF annuals.
Since I'd prefer a variety of brands and also want a multi-blade, I chose the 2018 Buck 301 in elk. It's in my pocket right now and is probably my most carried Forum knife.
YpQYwic.jpg

Love that Buck! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

These four knives would easily cover my actual cutting needs. I'd have 3 brands that are an important part of my collection... plus a really sweet and useful custom fixed blade. The only thing I might add if it were top five keepers would be a gentleman's knife like this...

GEC 14
HpiRRSv.jpg

...or this.
Vic Cadet
TOrmxnm.jpg

I've enjoyed the choices made so far in this thread and look forward to reading all the post to come.

Great posts, men, and very nice knives all around. Looking forward to lots more.

In no particular order:
SAK Huntsman (same as the Field Master, pictured above in post 8 by redsparrow redsparrow , but has a cork screw instead of the Philips screwdriver.)
Rough Rider Stockman. Most likely the Yellow RR603 or "A Stroke of Luck" RR10557. Both are 4.25 inch closed. The "Perfect" size.
A coin toss between the SK Blades 'The Gentleman' Buck 110 SFO and a MARBLES MR417 2 blade folding hunter.
For a fixed blade, I would have to keep the Mora Classic Number 1. ...

Truth to tell, I could not "get by" with just four of the knives I have now.
While I may not need them very often, some of the "special purpose" knives, like a Marlin Spike, are indispensable when I need it working with rope.

I may not carry them very often, but I would not want to give up my canoes, (large) sunfish, 2018 Buck 301 Traditional Forum knife, Any of the SK Blades 'Smoke Jumpers', or the SK Blades "Lil' Jack" Buck 112, 1980 Western L66, or 1975 Western "Demo" knife I was issued by the Army Reserves, my Barlow's, Old Hickory "Sheath Knife", the Scout/Camp knives I have (and hope to get), Rough Rider "Half Hawk", nothing fancy production Buck 110's, Cold Steel Kudu (a great "Kitchen Knife" by the way) the two moose, the trappers, Buck 877, other Mora I have ...

How about I give up my serrated "Bread Knife" and we call it "good enough"? :)
Unlike "Chef Tony" I know how to slice a loaf of fresh baked bread without crushing it, and without a serrated blade, to boot. :)

(IMHO "Chef Tony" is no more a Chef than my cup of coffee or tea is.)

Last edited:
The first knife I would have to choose is a small jack knife that I can carry at work (restricted) and be able to use in front of anyone without causing fear. Your typical small jack that's been used for generations to cut apples, open packages, and trim line. For this, my hands-down favorite is the Case Medium Jack. It just screams pocket knife without even a whisper of weapon.

The next knife I'd choose would be a Lambsfoot. I couldn't imagine not having one of these timeless work knives around. The blade shape has proven rugged and useful and I'm just enthralled with them. When it came time to choose which Lambsfoot I'd keep, I chose the Waynorth because it could pull double duty as a worker and a fine looking dress knife.

Speaking of work knives, the next one I'd choose would be the GEC F&F #71 Bull Nose. When it comes time to get down and dirty and pull out a knife that you know will get any chore done, I just don't think you can beat the Bull Nose Sodbuster. It's such a solid built knife with nice strong pulls. It exudes confidence in the face of hard work.

Lastly, I need a knife I can take to the mountains on Jeep trips and camping trips. For this type of adventure I'd prefer a solid lockback design. And when it comes to lockback knives I immediately think of Buck Knives. I have a lightweight 112 that is almost un-noticeable on my belt because it's so light and not overly large. It makes an ideal outdoor knife for just about any task.

Wishing @Modoc ED good health and a speedy recovery. He gifted me two of those keepers. :cool::thumbsup:

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to be forced to do this either but here are my choices. These are straight choices base on utility and ease of carry.

kellam wolverine for a short fixed blade, I had a horizontal kydex sheath made for it and it lives on my belt all summer.

Folders would be covered by my Douk Douk and victorinox small tinker. The douk is easily the best slicing folder I own and it's super easy to maintain the edge on. The small tinker for an additional couple of easily sharpened blades and tool selection.

Finally my last pick is a little out there as far as most guys are probably thinking, but I use it more than any other knife period exclamation point. My 13 inch emoulier thiernos chef knife. My folders can do a lot of kitchen work but I'd be hard pressed to break down a deer or chop a big squash or watermelon with any of my other choices. 15820606234881207768617.jpg 15820608819211162088258.jpg 15820613094191887936581.jpg
Small tinker placed in last pic for scale reference...

OK, I will do it, but it would be a sad day. My Misono santuko, my Schrade SafeTGrip fillet knife, my BUCK 121, and a Camillus 'scout' knife with a phillips screwdriver in it. I use that santuko and fillet knife more than any other knives, except during hunting season. The scout knife is just 'around;' I don't carry it in my pocket. I always have a good jack knife in my pocket, and my BUCK 110 on my belt (or something else), but you wouldn't let me have them today. Fun thread!

Finally my last pick is a little out there as far as most guys are probably thinking, but I use it more than any other knife period exclamation point. My 13 inch emoulier thiernos chef knife. My folders can do a lot of kitchen work but I'd be hard pressed to break down a deer or chop a big squash or watermelon with any of my other choices.

View attachment 1286326
Small tinker placed in last pic for scale reference...

I’m not sure I’d call that a kitchen knife. It’s more of a kitchen sword. o_O :D

Back