the rise of the covid19 hook tool

never had much use for the hook
feature on the sak.
but times have changed ...
yeah, a disposable glove would be easier
but that leaves more trash and impacts the environment big time already.
besides, its a must to carry some form
of hand sanitiser.
so right now imo, these edc hooks are not
high on my want list but its almost an edc fsshion statement of the times.
waiting to see if victorinox would come up
with a brass/copper alternative tool on their standard saks....

Pointless. You still have to touch the tool.

The premise being that some metals can kill the virus on contact. (Not that I would trust that)

Now if you could make me one in 80% U235 I could trust that to kill Covid! (But don't put it in your front pants pocket!):p:p:p

its still early in the game but its possible
that most could face being relegated
to clearence novelty items within a year ... like those anodized alloy bottle cap lifters
and countless cheap single piece mini
prybar multitools.
only captain hook has proven to have survived with such an appendage for the longest time .:)
12ac39a3207c07fef64f6b32d77c729e.jpg

its still early in the game but its possible
that most could face being relegated
to clearence novelty items within a year ... like those anodized alloy bottle cap lifters
and countless cheap single piece mini
prybar multitools.
only captain hook has proven to have survived with such an appendage for the longest time .:)
12ac39a3207c07fef64f6b32d77c729e.jpg

LOL. That's freaking hilarious and spot on.

The hoof cleaner tool on Victorinox Equestrian has potential.

SAK_0_8583__S1.jpg

The premise being that some metals can kill the virus on contact. (Not that I would trust that)

Copper and copper alloys brass and bronze kill bacteria and viruses with 2 to 4 hours contact but not on contact (instantaneously). Viruses take 4 hours.

Last edited:
....besides, its a must to carry some form of hand sanitiser.
Do what you feel is appropriate. Me, I wash my hands more often but do not carry any kind of sanitizer. If I am particularly concerned, I wear gloves. I view the sanitizer thing as cleaning off possible viruses from surfaces rather than thinking I'm killing them.

Do what you feel is appropriate. Me, I wash my hands more often ...If I am particularly concerned, I wear gloves. I view the sanitizer thing as cleaning off possible viruses from surfaces....
you're right.
washing off with soap is ideal.
depending the location,
its not always possible to
have that running water....
also its better to avoid
confined public washrooms.
ventilation is everything.
manual operated taps is dreadful
proposition. sensor taps are great now!
hence the alcohol based hand rubs.
yeah, gloves are the way to go, i agree except for the mummified prune look after effect :)
stay safe y'all!

Alcohol based sanitizer kills the virus and bacteria. Washing hands with lots of soap and water for 20 seconds is best because you should be making sure you get into all the crevices and under your nails. Just surface washing is not worth much. I wear gloves and I wash or sanitize those as it is easier than cleaning hands. When I take off my gloves my hands are still clean when I get home.

I was dealing with this issue before the latest pandemic, and so most likely were you. After washing my hands in a public washroom, I grab a paper towel to grab the door handle and let myself out. The world is moving on to electric hand dryers and paper towels are not as easy to find as they used to be. I carry a little pack of tissues, handier than latex gloves and more generally useful. But yes, I would use a hook/opener tool — just not for $25. If Victorinox put the hoof cleaner tool on a smaller SAK, I would consider carrying one. If SARS-CoV-2 becomes an annual event with annual vaccinations, Victorinox may do that.

There is another tool no one has mentioned. Wenger once made a janitorial services SAK for Hygolet AG, a Swiss multinational that makes everything public toilet related. The janitor SAK had a special key to unlock public toilet paper dispensers. Do I need to explain how useful that could be today?

https://www.swissarmyknights.com/images/stories/Collection_Highlights/August_07/tp_sak01.jpg

Your mentioning electric blown air driers reminded me of a truck stop on I-35 that I was at a few years back. The velocity of the air is so fast the first time I used it I was expecting to need skin grafting as it could have peeled an orange if you held one under it too, long. Given all the Covid-19 concerns about being spread via people breathing or coughing I am amazes Gov. Walz here in Minnesota hasn't put child proof locks on this type hand drier state wide.

I....After washing my hands in a public washroom, I grab a paper towel to grab the door handle and let myself out....
If Victorinox put the hoof cleaner tool on a smaller SAK, I would consider carrying one.
...Wenger once made a janitorial services SAK ...key to unlock public toilet paper...
we're on the same page in one area of personal hygienic practise :)
can't be too careful with public facilities.
the sound of one flush gping off
is enough to signal a quick exit..
should the virus situation be particularly bad
one might have to go so far as to adopt
disposable adult diapers on long hauls :)
that wenger thingy is new to me.
thanks for highlighting its existence.
learn something new everyday !

Those Dyson dryers are awful. They require you to put your hands inside the device to use it. I'd rather wipe my hands on my pants than use one of those ridiculous things

Ultra high speed hand dryers can blow tear gas back out of a lavatory door.

Strange but true, and you never can tell when you'll need to know things like this.
This good to know, however, as life's clock ticks by and I recognize that I am not as physically strong as i once was and find my balance diminishing I am keeping an eye peeled for any uprisings or riots. Given the wide open spaces of the southern Minnesota prairie with industrialized farming techniques being used these days I am more likely to need it if an anhydrous ammonia tank springs a leak upwind.

I made a thread about one of these virus hook tools on a different forum. Pretty much everyone felt they were a waste of time. I did, too, but wanted to hear others’ opinions. I don’t know if I would call all of them a scam, just things people thought up to fill a perceived need, like any other tool.

The biggest problem is that copper (which the tool I had asked everyone about was made from) does not kill viruses on contact. You still have to touch the tool and put it back in your pocket. You would still have to wash the tool when you get home.

Jim

No thanks. I'll still have to sanitize the tool before putting it back in my pocket... or I'll have to sanitize both the tool and the pocket I keep it in.

Besides, it's not like using this item is going to make much of a difference. If you commute by public transport, for example, you're going to pick up germs breathing common air shared with hundreds of people, and sitting in seats / holding the railings that lots of people with varying degrees of personal hygiene have sat / held before you.

Last edited:
Back