1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The Science Behind The "Light Brigade" Series. . . . . (Cool Pics)

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Jerry Busse, May 4, 2011.

1. Jerry Busse

Jerry Busse Moderator Moderator

Aug 20, 1999
    Here we go gang!!! The following pics should give you an idea of what we have been working on. . . . .

This first pic shows the "Light Brigade" treatment on a Team Gemini. . . .

[​IMG]

Here's a cut-away of the handle-lightening work with the Light Brigade anti-vibration web that spans the entire inside profile of the handle while producing an I-Beam effect. This greatly reduces the weight of the handle without turning it into a hollowed out tuning fork. . . Very Cool ! ! ! ! :thumbup:

What isn't shown in this cut-away is the fact that we will be using an end mill with radiussed corners to ensure that there aren't any stress risers introduced into the design. The end mill used on the knife in the pic did not have this radiussed design. (You can see the radius in the above pic along the inside edges.)

[​IMG]

The next cool feature is the HUGE diameter shallow hollow grind (42" diameter that's bigger than a hula hoop!!!!!) used on the primary bevel. This ensures a much lighter blade while allowing for a wicked sharp edge. This large diameter also greatly decreases the tendency that smaller diameter hollow grinds have of binding in wood when chopping.

[​IMG]

Here's a pic that shows the difference in geometry between a convex bevel and the new Light Brigade shallow hollow ground bevel . . .

[​IMG]

The Light Brigade treatment reduced the overall weight of the Team Gemini by approx. 1/3 pound!!!!! :eek:

We are looking into "treating" some of our old school models as well as introducing some new designs with these features.

Yours in light weight and bad assed INFI,:thumbup:

Jerry :D

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
    Mike Pierson likes this.
  2. Jaxx

Jaxx Moderator Moderator

Jan 18, 2006
    Lookin' good, Bossman!! :thumbup::thumbup:

3. Skrapmetal

Skrapmetal

Jul 13, 2009
    It's an I(nfi)-beam!

4. giant1

giant1

May 9, 2007
    Nice work.

They need to be available in satin when they do come out.

5. M67

M67 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2010
    SchW-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETT :eek: :eek:

Can we order without the scales? That just looks BA.

And some Old School models with this? :D :eek:

Mark in Oz likes this.
  6. Jerry Busse

Jerry Busse Moderator Moderator

Aug 20, 1999

We do refer to it as an I-Beam like construction. . but I like your variation much better!!!!! :thumbup:

Jerry

7. nice, that looks really really sharp.thanks for the pics boss

luke

8. Liu Kang

Liu Kang Banned BANNED

Jul 20, 2007
    Looks great, I'd like to see how that feels in hand...

9. fugawee

fugawee

Jul 7, 2008
    looks great!!!

Seems like it will be a LOT more work
    putting the slabs on them.
    How about any kind of water retention in those little "pools"
    between the slabs and the hollowed out Infi(tm)Beams
    (maybe you would have to grind in a "weep" hole)

10. Last Visible Canary

Last Visible Canary actively parsing hurf durf

Nov 28, 2006
    LBNMB11LE, LBNMFBMLE, LBNMRKLE, LBNMCABJLE would all be pretty darn cool :thumbup:

11. Soulrack223

Soulrack223 Gold Member Gold Member

May 8, 2007
    Do it to a Battle Mistress and sign me up!

12. fbusmc

fbusmc Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Did I hear OLD SCHOOL???? Like Steel heart II, Badger Attack, Battle Mistress, Mean Street, and some of the earlier cool models???

13. Huntsman Knife Co.

Huntsman Knife Co. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 10, 2010
    Nice! Now Id like to see some Res C scales for some serious weigh reduction! Im not sure if it would be feasible due to the cost of the molds etc... but Res C scales that were molded to fit the hollowed out handle grooves and attached with screws for easy cleaning would be AMAZING!!!!

14. legaleagle

legaleagle

Apr 26, 2010
    Fantastic. Can't wait to get some

15. aggiecouch

aggiecouch

Nov 17, 2010
    Looks great! Can't wait to try one out!

16. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Gold Member Gold Member

May 31, 2005
    I-beam, huh? Who's the craziest guy here that's gonna glue a hard hat to the thing and hang in mid-air, like the Superglue commercials. ;)

Looks interesting, Boss.

17. Demonic1

Demonic1

Feb 18, 2008
    WOW!

looks awesome- but how does it balance?

I'm wondering about what happens when water gets behind the slabs as well? Are the slabs gonna be sealed some how or a drain hole put in?

18. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    looking great!

19. oge14

oge14 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2007
    mmm....lbpbs

20. OldPhysics

OldPhysics

Sep 2, 2006
    Of course, I like it. But then ... I'm a scientist!!:eek::eek:;)