The Scout Knife.

There was nothing to set it apart from all the other knives in the box. It was not shinier, or sharper. The clerk took one out at random and set it in the display cabnet of the boy scout gear. It was a small sporting goods store in the town of Frederick Maryland, a rural farming area of rolling fields and woodlands.

It was not a huge number of days before the knife was purchased by a young scout. He had saved his money for this knife, and it was to be a treasured item. He enjoyed the scouts and exelled. He was one of those driven ones that come along now and then, who will settle for nothing but the best in themselves and others. His scoutmaster became his mentor, and tought the scout how to carve the fancy neckkerchef rings with indian faces on them. The scout learned to strop the Remington on leather to keep it hair popping sharp so as not to have to take it to stone too often. The eagle scout rank came in record time.

His performance in school was as high a standard. Graduating on the honor roll, his parents were shocked when he enlisted in the Marine Corps instead of going to college. He tried to explain the feelings of wanting to serve his country, to answear an inner call to duty, but was only halfway sucsesfull.

In the Marines he found the perfect place for his drive for perfection. Rank came fast, PFC, Lance Corporal, Sargent. In the corps he found something that was the outlet for his drive, marksmenship. The mental disapline of sight picture, breath control and trigger sqeeze, always challenging himself to do better. His officers groomed him for representing the Corps in competition. Then on a sunny Sunday morning in December came war on the wings of planes with a red rising sun on them.

In the next few years the Marine sargent saw action on small islands and atolls that most Americans never heard of. Names like Guadacanal, Tarawa, Saipan. Another rocker was added to his sleeve and he was a gunnery sarget. He led his men carefully, avoiding reckless action that would cost them lives, and his men in turn loved thier tall lean sargent. Through it all, he still carried the little Remington scout knife. It was used for a myrid of small chores, but most of all, the C-rations. He would later joke that if he could stack up all the c-ration cans it opened he could climb up to the top of the Empire State building. He kept a lanyard cord on the Remingtons shackle to his web belt to make sure it did'nt get lost, as he valued it highly. His men marveled at his calm, when waiting like all military men do on a regular basis, he would carve a barber pole out of a stick with his scout knife. But most of all they were in awe of his marksmenship. Unlike his men who carried the M-1 garand, the tall sargent had a 03 Springfield that he had come upon. One of his men would spot with a pair of binoculars when they got pinned down by a hidden machine gun, and the sargent would carefully pick his target. When he fired his men knew an enimy soldier was dead, and the gun silenced. He would use the screw driver on the scout knife to aid in stripping down his rifle for cleaning meticliously.

The war like all wars, came to an end, and now with the rank of E-8 on his sleeve he became an instructor at the Marine training center at Paris Island. Young recruits were tought the holy trinitiy of sight picture, breath control, and trigger sqeeze by a master. His recruits always did the best on the range scores. They'd better.

The day came when his time was up, and he left the corps. He had done his twenty, but wanted out, he'd had enough. At a crossroads, he returned home to the Maryland he had left so many years before. But now he found himself needing to do something. The kids were grown and gone and he and his wife were alone. His wife found him roaming the house bored, and she talked to some nieghbors. One day at the dinner table she brought up that the local church scout troop needed a new scout master. At first he was a bit incredulous. Then he became thoughtfull.

Like a grain planted in fertile soil, the idea took hold. He had led men in life and death circumstances, he could see no reason he could not give some kids some needed guidence. He decided to do it.

The evening came then at the local church, on the appointed Friday night, he made the commitment. In his new scout uniform he did not feel near as silly as he thought he would. Instead he found some of the old exitement returning like when he had a new class of recruits to teach. Then the moment was there. He walked into the basement meeting room and thirty pairs of young eyes fixed on him. They saw a tall lean grey mustached man, with a crisp uniform in textbook order. A Remington scout knife hung from the official brass belt hook. A pair of hard grey-blue eyes survied them, and they unconcously straitened up as they stood waiting.

"Okay boys," their church decon was telling them, "I want to introduce you to your new scout master, retired Master Sargent Van. "

"You can call me Mr. Van, men." the new scoutmaster told them. "And first off, there won't be any slackers in this troop."

His eyes scanned them, coming to rest on one scout who had a shoulder patch noticably crooked.

" Who are you, mister? " asked Mr. Van.

" Uh, Bobby. Bobby Ryerson."

The scoutmaster stared.

"Uh, Bobby Ryerson, sir."

Mr. Van walked over to Bobby Ryerson, and with great slow deliberation, opened his Remington scout knife and neatly cut the wide spaced stiches barely holding the shoulder patch in place, and handed the patch to Bobby.

" Okay Bobby Ryerson, I want those patches strait by next Friday." Came a simple statement of what was to be.

"Uh, yeah sure. "

The stare that we all came to know and fear fixed on poor Bobby Ryerson.

"Uh, yes sir." he stammered.

"Okay, now like I said, there won't be any slackers in this troop, and ..."

While Mr. Van spoke the scouts listened raptly to the man they now feared, but would come to worship as their demi-god.

Another gem jackknife. Brought back lots of memories. I was that scout with the crooked badges, I had lots of them, but sewing was not my strong point. I insisted on sewing them myself even though my mother was infinitely better at that sort of thing. I had a scout knife which is now long gone. Unfortunatly, I can not recall anything about it other than tradtitional pattern with the can and bottle opener etc. Thanks for the memories.

You've got me checking to see if my shirt's buttoned right, jk!
Phew, it is!!
Great story, and representative of an attitude all too lacking today!!!

I can't get enough of your stories jackknife.
They make me come back again and again to this forum.

Great story, and representative of an attitude all too lacking today!!!

In the end, thats what Mr. Van was trying to teach us, an attitude. He went out of his way to teach us respect for the scout uniform, and a code of conduct, but ultimatly it was about respect for ourselves. Every week he would drop another saying of his on us, and told us to remember them. I remember one was "Don't take any action that later you will be ashamed to admit to."

Fantastic story JK. Made my Tuesday less "tuesday-ish" Thanks,:thumbup: :thumbup: :cool:

So, jackknife, when is your book coming out?

I'll want an autographed copy, please! :thumbup:

Another fine text of the traditional there jacknife. I love the sayings that Mr. Van told to you all.. Straight out of the Good Book!:thumbup:

Great story again, JK!

It also illustrates something I've noticed, and said, enough times. If you set high, but not unreachable standards of performance and require those standards be met, hence the term standards, then despite the grumbling, people will stand a little straighter, take a bit more pride in themselves and their organization, and will come to thrive on a higher standard. Of course, the leadership must "Lead by Example." Something I've found lacking in a lot of places.

Few things are more disheartening than to work to a higher personal standard and then see it undermined by an enabling, rollover leadership that undermines and fails to support your efforts. We run into that at work. It lowers morale and causes us to to just go through the motions while making sure our fourth points of contact are covered.

Solid leadership and clear standards of excellence go a LONG way in snapping individuals and organizations into a crisp, head-held-high, way of being.

Heh, that reminded me, I just pulled out the knife that my grandfather gave me about a year ago, that I fixed up my self. It is (I think) that same old Remington scout knife. Good story man, you should be a professional writer.

This one really got me thinking about my old Scout knife. I don't remember what brand it was I got it in the 70's and lost it in the woods on a hike . I really loved that knife. I'm pretty sure it was carbin steel and had the Wolf patch on it for the logo/sheald and blue scales.

db, sounds like a Cub Scout knife if it had the wolf patch and blue scales... I have the same knife, just a newer version from the eighties with stainless blades.

About ten years ago, I went on the popular auction site to find a replacement for my old scout knife...ended up with more than one over the years!

Great story Jackknife, thanks as always.

Thinking of Mr. Van's leadership style--we need more of it these days. I think it's also a good example of how kids can live up to high expectations, and thrive. Sometimes adults put the bar too low.

Another great story about MR Van. Didn't you post one earlier about the Scout Leader MR Van, a couple Hooligans, & a broom handle? ;)
-Bruce

Love these stories, Carl. Nice to see some of Mr. Van's history. Mr. Van's history, sir!

Back