The Smashing Samsher!

I just did he test involving the Samsher and a dense, hard piece of wood - across the grain. Energetically.

First of all, for such an obtuse bevel, this thing bites deeper than I would've thought. And the newly sharpened edge held up quite proudly. At 17.5" and 28 oz it feels better in hand than my M43 at 15", 29 oz. I can accelerate it more. Gotta say, classic design is excellent. Still envious about your lighter 19", though!

if you look at what I am selling the thamar dui chirra weighs exactly the same as my ww2 khuk-- 18 inches and 26 oz

The thing is, my Purna Dui Chirra is 18" and 34, and that's still withing the parameters of vintage khukuri, military ones were lighter so as to facilitate the soldiers, but if one wanted a heavier or different styled khukuri they could get one. It's like Bowie knives, knives are typically made to either facilitate the governmental need or the user. Just because the U.S Army issued a certain style of bowie-shaped knife (ka-bar's) doesn't mean that the entire world of Bowie's are forced into a slect slot of specs.

cul4u01

Gold Member
The thing is, my Purna Dui Chirra is 18" and 34, and that's still withing the parameters of vintage khukuri, military ones were lighter so as to facilitate the soldiers, but if one wanted a heavier or different styled khukuri they could get one. It's like Bowie knives, knives are typically made to either facilitate the governmental need or the user. Just because the U.S Army issued a certain style of bowie-shaped knife (ka-bar's) doesn't mean that the entire world of Bowie's are forced into a slect slot of specs.

Totally agree.

A knife is a knife....question is, does the knife fit the use you are intending to use it for? I don't worry about whether a knife fits a certain spec, because I for one don't care. All I care about, is the knife the best I can get, for what I need it to do?

As do I, it fits in almost exactly with the historical specs of the Mk1 khukuri.

I'm pretty sure it was modelled on this MKI, he did a good job.
SHs%20plain%20MKI_zpscdb5x5ed.jpg

military ones were lighter so as to facilitate the soldiers

Just as a talking point, from my experience, the heaviest (non-sacrificial) kukri have all been military. The kora handled ones are some of the largest examples I've seen, the First Rifles kukris from the Katchmandu cache are around 1kg, and some MKI are in the 900g's (though my example is 687g). Though the weight of a kukri is less important than it's balance in my experience.

Great to some see copies of classics at HI too.

That's a MKI replica you have there. It's a nut screwed on to the end of the tang and its sunken into the handle then ground flush. First one I've ever seen from HI.
That is the exact same as my Mk1-profile, nut, edge bevel-samesame.

It seems to me that the older ones had deeper (or should I say wider?) bellies, generally speaking. This is what I still miss on the newer offerings.

It seems to me that the older ones had deeper (or should I say wider?) bellies, generally speaking. This is what I still miss on the newer offerings.

What I've seen is that the kami tend to have almost a theme across each batch. So lately we've been seeing a pretty good number of lighter blades like Chainpuri. For a while it seemed like big heavy ones were the norm. So give it time, both for the factory to get back up and running and for the kami to move to a different theme and you will see deeper bellied kukris again.

Bawanna

I suspect that Auntie sort of makes suggestions based on what us khukri addicts are clamoring for too.

I think the kami's also have their own style preferences. Thamar for example seems to favor traditional lines regardless of what model he makes and I love him for that very much. He's the reason I have the goodest curved spine in all the land.

They all seem to have their individuality which some folks in the know are gifted with the ability to recognize their work without looking at their marks. I sadly don't have that ability but I know what I like ya know.

Sadly none of them seem to make anything I don't like which does not make Missus Bawanna very happy sometimes.

What I've seen is that the kami tend to have almost a theme across each batch. So lately we've been seeing a pretty good number of lighter blades like Chainpuri. For a while it seemed like big heavy ones were the norm. So give it time, both for the factory to get back up and running and for the kami to move to a different theme and you will see deeper bellied kukris again.

Well I have a Samsher that I just love to bits! Still, Ndoghouse posted a pictures of his (identical with mine) on top of an antique one and you coud see how much deeper the antique was. Maybe I can find it.

Of course I can undertand everythin you wrote, just want o make sure I explain myself well. I'm simply not sure I've ever seen a HI one like the anique ones in this detail, that's all.

Hmm, maybe a custom once the waters settle...:).