The Stacked Leather Zone

My bottoming tap came today so my pommel screws on as far as it should.
Hopefully I'll do the fit-up on the weekend.
I could polish the blade more but it's a smatchet after all...

I can’t stop laughing
Edit: in a good way :)

Last edited:
Right? From the left side, First Row, very top and 2nd row, fifth down are pretty sweet. Shel, maybe you can tell me what the hell I'm lookin at:oops::)
Those are all RMK’s; the other RMK. As to the first knife, that’s one that doesn’t exist; just ask anyone that knows, they’ll tell you so. o_O

The other is a Model #12-6, Little Bear Bowie. It’s a favorite model of mine. It’s available with all the Model #1 handle options and a whole lot of cutting edge, top and bottom. :thumbsup:

Redmeadow Knives Redmeadow Knives Thanks for your help. Here is how the Smatchet turned out.
I could work some more on the leather finish, but the rough look kind of suits this piece.
wqFSsWY.jpg

Not too much back story. I like to make something different for each project. The last piece of 3V I bought fit patterns of the Smatchet and a FS dagger with enough scrap to make a wharncliffe and a sgian dubh.
I hadn't tried stacked leather before.
The vinegarroon gave the exact look I was going for, so thanks for that.
I noticed while stacking that a few pieces were a little rough on the rough side. This ended up causing some small voids that are acceptable on a smatchet but I would try to avoid on something else.

Vinegaroon seems to harden the leather quite a bit, that might have played a role in the rough spots. Wet sanding might help. I agree though, the handle roughness fits that blade well.

More on topic to the thread, the handle has a great warmth and very slight give that just feels great.
I'll definitely do some more (maybe not as many as Melvin-Purvis shows above).

More on topic to the thread, the handle has a great warmth and very slight give that just feels great.
I'll definitely do some more (maybe not as many as Melvin-Purvis shows above).
Glad to hear it, feel free to post pics in here or anywhere else in the sub :thumbsup:

Back