The Steel choice, BG-42 & ATS-34

Basically my question is to Strider Team, why the ATS-34? To be more correct, on Strider website, that was redesigned resently, congratulations, very well done
wink.gif
, in the techspecs section you say:
Other steels are available, such as BG-42. However, at this time we find ATS-34 to be exceptional and consistent steel for our purposes.
From what I have learned so far, ATS-34 has 3 different heat treatements methods, each optimizing different quality of the steel, such as wear resistance, toughness.
Considering Strider knives name, I assume Strider does good job on the heat treatement, donno what sort of treatement, but I assume you know what you do.
Yet, from all other sources I've seen, BG-42 is claimed to be a superior steel. Eg. CRKT. I understand there's no super steel & depending on the intended use (& may be manufacturing issues too) different steel can be the best choice, so could someone tell a little bit more about the steel choice? Is it related to Strider knives specifics, like design, purpose, etc? Manufacturing process? Something else?

Besides my curiosity I have quite practical reason to ask, which is I would like to order a custom Strider blade, so before I make a choice I want to know
smile.gif
Considering that my experience with production ATS-34 blades was not really impressive...

------------------
zvis.com
Have Fun,
Alligator

Okay then...
ATS-34 and BG-42 are basically the same alloy. The difference being that BG has a few points of Vanadium and a little more (very little) carbon. The Vanadium, on paper, is awesome. Vanadium carbides are much harder than Molybdenum carbides. On smaller pieces, this is great. Now when I say smaller pieces, what I mean is that knives which are meant for light use, with a very thin cutting edge, work very well when made of BG. They hold an edge longer. On larger blades (field knives) you can't tell the difference. Well, I can't. And I'm pretty good at things like that. If I take a blade made of BG, one of ATS and one of 154CM. All equally ground, I can't tell the difference. So...here's where we're at right now; we use ATS on our .250 thick knives and BG on our .190 thick knives.

Our heat treat process is proprietary, so I won't tell you about it, but it works quite well. I don't think you'll have any dissatisfaction with it. If so, there is always that unconditional guarantee.

Talk to you soon,

Mick

Thanks for the explanation
smile.gif

Our heat treat process is proprietary, so I won't tell you about it, but it works quite well
smile.gif
I know it's proproetary, like I said given your reputation I assume it's very good.

I don't think you'll have any dissatisfaction with it. If so, there is always that unconditional guarantee.
Very nice. Don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to put down your ATS-34. Just there'a always better.

P.S. BTW are any other steels an option or so far it's those 2?

------------------
zvis.com
Have Fun,
Alligator

Back