"The Stiddy"

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
Handy to have around, the cutler's anvil is a neat tool. Also called a steady rest or "stiddy". In place of a horn, there is a thin projection that will fit inside a folding knife for various operations. The old brown one is from an unknown closed cutlery, coughed up by EBAY. The other, a friend made from T-1 steel, blued for appearance.
DSC01735.jpg

DSC01736.jpg

DSC01737.jpg

DSC01739.jpg

Please excuse my poor photography! Kerry I ain't!

Nice Charlie! Two questions:
1.What's the notch used for?
2. Is that a sack full of Schrades behind the stiddies?

Eric

Eric, the notch lets you bridge a pin if you need to, or will allow the tip further in where the backspring pin "bump" is. Also if there is a stub of a pin to be tapped out, you can support the handle while you tap it. There are probably a dozen other ways it is handy.
The "bag" is full of money- gotta keep it somewhere:D:D (not). Actually it is just a white blanket to give some contrast so you can see the profiles!

The step down on the top is for krinking blades on the same spring so they will pass each other. It can also be used for krinking a spring to give it a little more load. They are very handy.

How much one of those stiddies weigh?

The bag of money? I thought you just pulled up the table cloth!

Nice thread Charlie:thumbup:

Here is a shot of somebody using a cutlers stiddy to "slacken" a blade.:D I have tried to find them for sale and they are few and far between. I'm going to have to make one.:rolleyes:

slackening.jpg

I have a very crude one made out of a railroad tie. At first I thought it was just a small anvil but it has the 2 tines.

How come my stiddy is all dirty and Charlies is all shinny?
Well, one of mine is all dirty, Tony:D! But not as dirty as yours, I am sure. The blued one has never been used.
Tony or Kerry, what does slackening the blade mean? And how does, what that picture of Kerry's shows, do the slackening?:confused:

If you set the blade on there at an angle and tap the kick or the top of the blade it puts a twist on it and loosens a tight or lazy blade. It needs to be done before the pin is flushed off or it will make the pin show, but of course that can be fixed too. It's an old cutlers trick that an old Indian taught me.

If you set the blade on there at an angle and tap the kick or the top of the blade it puts a twist on it and loosens a tight or lazy blade. It needs to be done before the pin is flushed off or it will make the pin show, but of course that can be fixed too. It's an old cutlers trick that an old Indian taught me.

Ya, and Tony will probably tell you that you got hold your mouth just right when doing it. :D

Tony has taught me a trick or two. :thumbup: But hey! he's the master. ;)

Do you hold your mouth like this?:D
Or like this?:p
Or maybe like this if you miss?:eek:

Thanks for the post waynorth about this because I have some good news . David
owner of greatlakeswaterjetinc.com is fixing to make some at a very reasonable price. Just talked to him on the phone yesterday .

Thanks for the post waynorth about this because I have some good news . David
owner of greatlakeswaterjetinc.com is fixing to make some at a very reasonable price. Just talked to him on the phone yesterday .

Now that sounds good! :thumbup:

Thanks for the post waynorth about this because I have some good news . David owner of greatlakeswaterjetinc.com is fixing to make some at a very reasonable price. Just talked to him on the phone yesterday .
Cool! I'm certainly interested.

Thanks to waynorth I was able to pick one up on Ebay. It also looks like we might have a good source for new ones too so that is exciting. Every knifemaker that makes slip joints should have one of these puppies and it wouldn't hurt to have 2 if the price is right.

Back