The struggle for THE edc - plead for an updated BK11/14

Wasty

Platinum Member
Hi together,

first of all, I alread found my perfect EDC. Unfortunately it does not exist yet. There are two knives which are so close to the perfect EDC it nearly hurts.
Yet before I go into details lets start a little earlier in my life.

As a kid in the 80’s, I was with the scouts and everybody had a nice large knife around his belt and a SAK in his pocket. My love for the most versatile tool ever invented was born then. I started with a cheap hollow handle Rambo style knife which was broken quite quickly. There followed others, better, bigger, smaller and more expensive ones.

Yet as we all know the search for the “egg-laying woolly-milk-sow” (german for a hypothetical nonexisting “can do it all perfectly”) knife, mine has come to an end.
I went to a custom knife maker and told him what I want. He built me a nice knife and I was happy for some time…. Well, but as the story does not end here you guess right, the search went on.

Then after a long search I finally found it: The BK11!

Attributes:
- Slicey and easy to sharpen
- Amazing toughness for such a little knife (1095 + good HT rules!)
- Fits in my right front pocket (very, very important)
- Performs like a bigger knife (I cannot stress that enough :) )
- Looks and feels just great

However after using it for a prolonged time I found the handle just a tad to short for 4 fingers and a bit to big for three fingers. Even with the Micarta scales there is a small hotspot on the ring finger and the shorter part of the handle digs into my finger after working with it for a couple of minutes.

So I took the knife, extended the handle a bit, made nice scales for it and was very happy. Unfortunately, it started to rust smell like rust beneath the scales. As I mainly use it for food preparation, I wash the grease off and if there’s water under the scales it will rust no matter what I do.

Alright, now there`s the BK14 (born here on BF and much loved):

-Bought it with the grivory scales, and was very happy for a little time.
Argh, but ergonomics is a *****!

So these are the nearly perfect EDCs for me:

The BK14 would be THE edc if the handle would be just a little bit beefier just behind the blade(tang width like the 11) , to get a more secure and powerful grip on it.

The BK11 would also be THE edc with a 6-8mm longer handle where the bottle opener is not digging into the ring finger and the 4 finger grip is comfortable?

Well, as the Big Beckers and the Tweeners are the most comfortable and ergonomical knives I’ve ever used, is there any chance the small ones will get ergonomical brothers?

Thanks for reading this quite long text, but as my heart is now with the Becker Knives, I've put some effort into thinking it trough…

I was gifted a custom 11 from forum member Creaky Bones. He added a longer handle to the 11, and ground the finger guard down. Really like that little knife.

009.png

005.png

That 11 is purdy, Creaky Bones does some really nice work. I could see that being a good seller for BKT if they wanted a third version of the necker.

Wasty I agree that the 14 is so close to perfect but needs only the slightest of tweaking. I guess short of custom made for your hand size there is never a perfect blade, unless you happen to have the hands the knife is designed around.

Last edited:
I hear you, brother. I got busy on my 11 by removing the finger guard and smoothing out the handle to a (relatively) fair curve before adding some wood scales. Could stand to be a touch longer (wanted to leave the bottle opener), but as is is pretty dang comfy for my medium size mitts. I also re-profiled the blade belly and tip a little, just for the aesthetics. It is my EDC.

13550075824_98ebd38f31_b.jpg

13550065864_81b53fa7b1_b.jpg

An eight inch handle add on would be great for two handed use :)

I just had to look up the word "purdy" and yes they both are definitely beauties!

Well, my modification skills won't reach such a level anytime soon... grmpf:(

An eight inch handle add on would be great for two handed use :)

Hehehe, indeed! But then the front pocket of my trousers would need an extension, also sitting down with it would be the next struggle or downright dangerous for certain parts :D :D:D:D

A solution that may work for you is to do a double paracord wrap on the 14 to get the heft that you're looking for, then add some form of an epoxy or urothane coating to the wrap to keep it sealed for food prep. I had the double cord wrap on mine for a while but not the coating

While I love Uncle E's designs, I will say this: there are some other non-Becker options out there that are pretty nice, and not all of them cost an arm and a leg. We also have some custom makers here in the BK&T community that make some really superb EDC-sized blades and would probably customize one to your desires. James Terrio, T. M. Hunt, Daizee and The710 come to mind.....

I have said several times that i firmly believe that a BK14/24 with the handle from the Izula 2 would make an absolutely perfect EDC. The Izula, with a slightly shorter blade, feels balanced, even though the handle is a tad small for me. With the slightly longer blade of the 14, it just feels all out of balance to me. Itty bitty handle on a longer blade just doesn't work for me. If it had the handle from the Izula 2, that extra little bit of handle would bring it back into balance and I'd probably have one on me every single day.

Tommythewho has a personal set of extended 14/11 scales but he's not selling them online :/ remember people that extending the scales will weaken the blade in general. So either don't baton or baton with caution. I DO wish they used the Izula 2 design for the handles either way... ): uncle e please hear my plea!

I have said several times that i firmly believe that a BK14/24 with the handle from the Izula 2 would make an absolutely perfect EDC.

If it had the handle from the Izula 2, that extra little bit of handle would bring it back into balance and I'd probably have one on me every single day.

I DO wish they used the Izula 2 design for the handles either way... ): uncle e please hear my plea!

1000x yes!

I have said several times that i firmly believe that a BK14/24 with the handle from the Izula 2 would make an absolutely perfect EDC. The Izula, with a slightly shorter blade, feels balanced, even though the handle is a tad small for me. With the slightly longer blade of the 14, it just feels all out of balance to me. Itty bitty handle on a longer blade just doesn't work for me. If it had the handle from the Izula 2, that extra little bit of handle would bring it back into balance and I'd probably have one on me every single day.

Tommythewho has a personal set of extended 14/11 scales but he's not selling them online :/ remember people that extending the scales will weaken the blade in general. So either don't baton or baton with caution. I DO wish they used the Izula 2 design for the handles either way... ): uncle e please hear my plea!

1000x yes!

Agree 100%

Removing the "guard" does wonders. Did that on a 24 and it is great. Don't really need a guard as stabbing isn't something I regularly do with the knife.

As for asking the boss for a new knife with different specs, you guys have got to understand that getting a new knife added to the lineup takes a very LONG time for a multitude of reasons. But maybe...

^This... And as the op said, slightly wider/higher right behind the blade. Oh, and some full handle length Micarta. Ohhhh

Removing the "guard" does wonders. Did that on a 24 and it is great. Don't really need a guard as stabbing isn't something I regularly do with the knife.

As for asking the boss for a new knife with different specs, you guys have got to understand that getting a new knife added to the lineup takes a very LONG time for a multitude of reasons. But maybe...

Hello Derek. I hear you with regard to adding a new knife to the lineup, but, what about coming out with some micarta extended handles that would fit the 14 and the tweeners. They already come up with micarta upgrades fairly quickly. That should be a pretty easy solution. As far as removing the guard, little tough doing it when you live in an apartment with no workshop.

Doc

Hello Derek. I hear you with regard to adding a new knife to the lineup, but, what about coming out with some micarta extended handles that would fit the 14 and the tweeners. They already come up with micarta upgrades fairly quickly. That should be a pretty easy solution. As far as removing the guard, little tough doing it when you live in an apartment with no workshop.

Doc

I think you should move.....I mean, no workshop?!? Who do those landlords think they're dealing with?!

Hate it for you guys...
They all work pretty well for me. I'd have no reason to ever baton with something that small but I see the point.

I understand the red tape involved with adding anything to the line up, but as the OP stated "updating" or modifying an existing model would be the way to go although many if not all of the necessary hoops involved would or could be required to be jumped through for this to come to fruition. As far as timing goes, even without a completely new design or model, the time it takes from the first step to final product may be about the same as a new addition.

As many requests for and as long as this has been a subject, it definitely should IMO be something to consider and could have a positive impact on sales not only from existing customers but once the word gets around many new may be added.
We here all know what happens once you aquire that first Becker... Mmmmhm...

Back