The Sunday Picture Show (April 14th, 2024)

DeSotoSky

Gold Member
view

Hello and welcome to the Sunday Picture Show. Share your Buck knives with others by posting pictures of them here. New or old, plain or custom, user or safe queen, one or a collection, we love to see them all. This weekly tradition was started in 2010 by ItsTooEarly (Armand Hernandez) and Oregon (Steve Dunn). Help keep the tradition alive. Feel free to click that 'LIKE' but lets not let it replace discussing and complimenting each others knives. DeSotoSky (Roger Yost)

GLti3gg.jpg

On this Day, April 14th, 1865. US President Abraham Lincoln is shot in the head by John Wilkes Booth at Ford's Theater in Washington; he dies a day later.
The other Assassination Atttempt. Overshadowed by the assassination of President Lincoln, was another assassination attempt by the conspirators on the same night. The Secretary of State William Seward was attacked in his home by Lewis Powell. In his attempt to murder the Secretary he would inflict serious injuries on eight people, including four of Seward's children, a bodyguard, and a messenger. Seward continued to serve as Secretary of State for Lincoln's successor Andrew Johnson. In 1867 as Secretary of State he signed a treaty with Russia which included the purchase of Alaska for $7 million. Seward was ridiculed in Congress for the purchase which was famously dubbed "Seward's Folly" and "Seward's Icebox".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Powell_(conspirator)
(although he did not succeed in killing Seward, Powell was hung for his participation in the overall plot)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_H._Seward
(good read, I did not realize what an influential and interesting person Seward was in our history)

Back in 2017 I swung by the Smoky Mountain store on my way back to St Louis from Maryland after Thanksgiving Holiday. Picked up these 112's and lucked out with sale pricing. Brass and smooth bone with a Nickel Silver Inlay. This run was offered in 4 different colors. There was another similar issue with drop point blades.
smkw-004-jpg.807712
smkw-005-jpg.807713

Last edited:
Place mark for photos in the AM after I wake up. Working tonight!

Happy SPS to one and All,

Thank you Roger for hosting this fantastic weekly event and the History bites! Also, thanks to all who post photo's and add to the conversation.

Today a Franken Buck that you all were talking about a while back, these Deep Etched Buck blades are treasures and to find one with a stag handle was worth the price. Now dose the blade make it a Buck knife or the handle make it a Scherade knife?

Last edited:
Possibly my last post. Membership expires on the 20th and I have room to post about 2 more photos. I think it would be cool to shares photos by email, so if you'd like to stay in touch for pics or trades, send me a PM and I'll share my email with you.

Working on a 100 set. 105 and 117 will be in the mail shortly. Wasn't 100% sure how the "running stream" pattern would look when we designed it, but Mr Leroy Remer has made a real stunner. I bet they're even better looking in person.
View attachment 2550630

Last edited:
Thanks for another Sunday Picture Show and history brief. Thanks to all who post photos and comment. Always look forward to Sunday morning to see what great Buck knives folks are posting.
I have the red bone 112 of that series. I think that Buck and other knife manufacturers who put script on so the knife is upside down/turned around to read it are just messing with us with dyslexia. 😁
97w8hCj.jpg

I think that Buck and other knife manufacturers who put script on so the knife is upside down/turned around to read it are just messing with us with dyslexia. 😁

Preston, nice picture with the red smooth bone. I agree with the wrongness of the inlay orientation but Buck has done that on most all SMKW offerings. Looks good closed but not with the blade displayed as a folding knife should be. Here is another smooth bone offering with "upside down" inlay from SMKW in 2017. This one came with the long nic. A great 110 collectible as an oddity but that nic is just not how a 110 is supposed to look.:rolleyes:

110-long-nic-smkw-111217-1-jpg.798233

110-long-nic-smkw-111217-6-jpg.798238

Last edited:
thanks Roger for hosting the picture show today. thanks y'all for posting ya pics.

some of us chatted on David Martin's (R.I.P) 103DM this last week or so. I have one Mike made and sold to me..so im sharing that today...

20240414-104805.jpg

have a great Sunday.....

Makael (Mike Looper) doesn't play here anymore. Too bad. I wonder if he is still making sheaths.
I recall he was having a problem with his hand or thumb (?) a while back.
yep. that Mike. I'll see him post in his fixed blade Friday thread once in a rare while. he was supposed to have surgery to correct or help on that. didnt hear what happened though. dont think hes making sheaths anymore, but he might be. think he's just busy at his job and spending time with his family and whatnot......

Happy Sunday, all. I took this picture a while back as a "whole collection" photo. I debated on whether or not to post it, kinda seems like bragging. But then I thought, this is the place to share it:
20240315_073041.jpg
I've actually added a few more (a dozen or so) since I took this. Hope everyone had a great day!

Back