The Survive! Knife Alternatives Thread. All suggestions WELCOME!

No kidding, I was watching for a while but never could get one.
Don't quit and you'll be rewarded at some point. Only you can decide if it is worth the effort and expense involved.

If you post a "Want To Buy" ad, you may just have a seller come to you. Worth the few seconds to post in the WTB section of the Exchange. No?

I own fixed blades from Esee, Buck, Becker, Bark river, Benchmade, Tops, Fallkniven, Winkler and they're not anywhere close to what you get from Survive.
Speaking from experience, I’ve owned every brand you mentioned and still own most. Survive for the most part is on par with the brands you mentioned, except for Winkler, an S! can’t even catch a whiff of a Winkler.

I’ve given S! So many chances. Really a shame they can’t figure it out, they design great looking, functional knives. They can’t run an honest business to save their a$$!

I’m doubling down on my TRC and CPK recommendations. If you’re willing to spend $200 on a fixed blade, spend more and get you a TRC (easier to find). CPK is the land of enchantment and worth the chase tho

I’ve given S! So many chances. Really a shame they can’t figure it out, they design great looking, functional knives. They can’t run an honest business to save their a$$!

I’m doubling down on my TRC and CPK recommendations. If you’re willing to spend $200 on a fixed blade, spend more and get you a TRC (easier to find). CPK is the land of enchantment and worth the chase tho
I'm contemplating a CPK chase. I still own a S!K and for me the quality is up there. I've not owned as many brands but have handled them. It really is a shame the business is such a catastrophe.

In the decades I've been around this thing of ours, I've seen a handful of very talented makers who were less than honorable when it came to fulfilling their end of the bargain...whether simply getting knives into hands, being less than up front with and about money, or even deceiving folks about their own bona fides, or the materials used in the building of their knives.

Oh, and let's not forget those who had their "hand made" knives built overseas and then stamped as if made here in the USA in their own "shop".

I've had the pleasure of booting more than a few off this site.

Talent and integrity often go together...but it ain't necessarily so.

In the decades I've been around this thing of ours, I've seen a handful of very talented makers who were less than honorable when it came to fulfilling their end of the bargain...whether simply getting knives into hands, being less than up front with and about money, or even deceiving folks about their bona fides, or the materials used in their build.

Oh, and let's not forget those who had their "hand made" knives built overseas and then stamped as if made here in the USA in their own "shop".

Talent and integrity often go together...but not necessarily so.
Gives honest and talented knife makers a bad name.

...Talent and integrity often go together...but not necessarily so.

This ^^^ is so profound.

...and I couldn't agree more.

I have some absolutely WONDERFUL knives that (*I've heard) were made by less-than-wonderful people.

I used to, but I either gave them away or sold them at a loss once I found out the truth.
This is exactly why I sold my S!K 4.1 in s90v. And contemplating moving my other chess pieces around. I'm still a suburbanite with a possible relocation to Alaska. CPK seems like a knife I can get behind - know I can.

This is exactly why I sold my S!K 4.1 in s90v. And contemplating moving my other chess pieces around. I'm still a suburbanite with a possible relocation to Alaska. CPK seems like a knife I can get behind - know I can.
I have quite a few great knives. My CPK SDFK goes with me when I leave the road up here in Alaska. In winter at my remote cabin, I place it in my go-bag in case of earthquake or woodstove fire that I need leave quickly. It is a really awesome knife. Good luck with your knife search and possible relocation. Honestly I am glad that Survive didn’t deliver my 5.1 after 14 months (finally refunded) because it led me to find several fantastic knifemakers on this site that have been great to deal with.

I like the TRC knives, and I've had on in my cart more than once. I just can't bring myself to spend that much for elmax in a fixed blade. I either want 3V, or magnacut if I'm going stainless. I also prefer a 90 degree spine. They are good looking knives though!

I like the TRC knives, and I've had on in my cart more than once. I just can't bring myself to spend that much for elmax in a fixed blade. I either want 3V, or magnacut if I'm going stainless. I also prefer a 90 degree spine. They are good looking knives though!

I'm in the same spot.

I almost bought an "Apocalypse", the last time that I found 'em for sale...but just couldn't get past the Elmax steel. (*for my uses)

*I've also wanted a PW Custom "Tank" for the longest time, but just couldn't seem to bring myself to trust the strength of the Elmax. 1686269363310.png

**Like you, when it comes to "Super Steels", I'm a "3V" guy.

I haven't read this whole thread, just this page, but for those of you who are interested in TRC but don't like Elmax and do like 3V, they make the Mille Cuori which is made with Vanadis 4 extra (V4E) which is like a cross between the two. Better toughness than Elmax but better edge retention than 3V. It's used in the big cutting competitions these days (custom HTs of course).

I echo the suggestions of those like Sagandavis Sagandavis and others who suggested TRC. Fantastic build quality, some of the very best I've seen of any maker.

I hesitate to mention Cold Steel because many of their tools are a bit Mall Ninja, but the SRK and Master Hunter in 3V are on my short list. I'd like to try their Kray-Ex handle material.
I have the AD10 in S35v and it has been a great tool so far with very nice fit and finish as well as robust construction.
I have not had to deal with Cold Steel customer service, so I don't have any experience to share.

View attachment 2206583View attachment 2206584
Took my own advice and ordered the 3v SRK today. Happy Father's Day to me! 🥳

Took my own advice and ordered the 3v SRK today. Happy Father's Day to me! 🥳
I already have the Master Hunter in Carbon V and 3V, and tried to resist ordering the SRK in 3v but for $110 I could resist!

Back