'The top five things I think you should know about custom knife collecting...'

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
There is a heck of a lot of experience in this forum, probably 100s if not 1000s of accumulated years of collecting amassed by some of the most involved custom knife collectors in North America and beyond.

There are a heck of a lot of folks new to collecting custom knives joining this forum every year. To help expedite their climb up the learning curve, and to that end, here is a thread which might give voice to the combined experience of you grizzled veterans in one convenient spot.

What five things would you have a new-to-custom-knives collector know?

Buying custom knives .... buy them because you like them and for no other reason. After you have paid for and accepted the knife, that money is gone. Do not buy knives as an investment.

1) ask about warranty upfront and be clear about it. Communicating with the maker is one of the prime benefits of getting into custom knives. Lots of great personalities in this group.
2) ask how (if) the maker actually sharpens the blade. My first BF ordered custom was butter knife dull, with asymmetrical grinds. I did not know to return it to the maker, and messed up a nice mirror finish making the steel a knife again. It was a fluted pearl knife, but lookers still need to cut to be able to be called a knife. Too bad because it left an off taste in my mouth about the maker, who by all accounts is a very nice gentleman, and decent maker- I still look at his knives but don't really want to search them out for my collection.
3) It's okay if you only collect show pieces/safe queens. It is okay to like simple users. It is okay to use your $5000 knife if you want. We all love knives, and there is room along the spectrum for everybody. From Charlie Mike to Wolfgang Lorchner.
4)Show respect and level headedness when discussing the world of knives. We are all ambassadors to the rest of the world- always act as if the world is watching- they are. We all have our own opinions of what we like, and as long as one does not talk in absolutes, then true communication and exchange of ideas can occurr.
5)HAVE FUN WITH THE KNIVES. It is only knife collecting/accumulating/whatever. Even if it is your full time job it should be fun. It's too easy to get too serious with this- if it does then burnout occurrs, and that does no benefit to the community.

Just some things that came to mind from a collector of gold class blue collar workers.

Buying custom knives .... buy them because you like them and for no other reason. After you have paid for and accepted the knife, that money is gone. Do not buy knives as an investment.

I'm curious so I have to ask, why would you make a statement like that?

I say this because buying/selling/investing to finance and upgrade their collections is part of the overall enjoyment for some collectors.

Anyway, my short list:

I recommend buying/collecting custom knives for ANY reason that gives you pleasure.

There's a very good chance that your taste or preference for types/styles of knives will change with time, especially from the first knives you
purchase. Thus you will most likely benefit long term from being patient in your initial purchases as opposed to buying on impulse.

I have found the vast majority of participants in the custom knife community whether being makers, collectors, dealers, photographers or whatever
are honest and will usually help you out in anyway they can. Don't hesitate to ask for advice.

For my first few years of collecting I took a solitary approach, however really started to enjoy the experience much more after I started interacting
with other custom knife enthusiasts through forums, joining organizations and such.

I recommend every new collector to attend at least one of the larger knife show, preferably the Blade Show in Atlanta. There's no other single place that
you can get a more general education on custom knives in such a short period of time.

Great thread Lorien that I hope will be a positive learning experience for newer collectors.

Last edited:
thank you, Kevin.

Last edited:
I should have clarified that a bit... Don't buy a knife only because you you expect to flip it for more than you paid for it. The majority of NIB customs I have sold and seen others sell were at a net loss. I'd consider myself lucky to break even.

4 more Kevin! But that's a darn good start.

Ok Lorien, I will follow the rules. Edited above to include 4 more. ;)
You don't want to get me started as I have a whole hour and a haft knife collecting seminar that I do on
this stuff. I can bore you to tears. :yawn: :)

I should have clarified that a bit... Don't buy a knife only because you you expect to flip it for more than you paid for it. The majority of NIB customs I have sold and seen others sell were at a net loss. I'd consider myself lucky to break even.

Charlie, I agree with you 100% on the above statement. It takes a solid knowledge of the market, of custom knives in general, timing and luck to consistently make a decent overall profit buying/selling custom knives. However some collectors do it successfully.

Hi CM,

The majority of NIB customs I have sold and seen others sell were at a net loss. I'd consider myself lucky to break even.

Knives are touted as a poor investments and I agree this is the case of most knives...but not all. The main reason for this is not doing your homework. Most collectors and makers for that matter do not understand their market position. Consequently, their pricing is arbitrary and not supported by either the primary or secondary markets.

In this way knives are no different than any other investment (that will not hold it's value). You cannot overpay for a custom knife. Doing so will cost you money.

With the research tools today there is no reason to not know the maker's price for a knife. Then to find out how if that knife holds its value in the aftermarket. That gives you a baseline to start from.

For most makers and most collectors custom knives are about "Fun". Go to a show, see friends, handle knives, buy a knife a great time. That is an enjoyable part of a hobby. That said, collectors sill lament CM's satement:

The majority of NIB customs I have sold and seen others sell were at a net loss. I'd consider myself lucky to break even.

So the question is, what needs to happen to reverse this? The answer is simple in words and almost impossible in deed. As the answer will be met with excuse after excuse as to why the solution cannot be achieved.

Charlie Mike as you know the maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

1) I just want to second most of what was said above and especially get yourself to a knife show. I'll leave the brand out, but there was one in particular that I was trying so hard to get my hands on until I actually held and played with it at a show and then all desire to own one immediately left me. I couldn't understand the hype. If you think so and so makes the best knife ever then that's fine but I'll only collect what I like and I'll do everything possible to handle it before I find myself trapped with a knife I don't like.

2) I had previously not understood buying a knife and not using it. Many people still feel that way and that too is fine but if you want to keep a knife in pristine condition and having it unmarred makes you happy then don't be bullied into carrying it. It's yours so do what you want with it. Having said that though, it's hard to truly appreciate a hard use knife without putting it to some hard use.

3) Be 100% before you get rid of (sell/trade) a knife you love because you won't be getting it back.

4) Learn what goes into making a knife. I'm not saying you need to be able to make a knife but knowing the process gives a greater appreciation and understanding of what you have in your hand. Learn a bit about stock removal, forging, CNC, anodizing, leather working, etc.

5) Be patient. Email the makers and inquire about purchasing a knife directly from them. Get on their list if possible. For some reason it never ceases to amaze me that some of the nicest people you'll ever know are in some way related to knives or the knife business. If you have to wait a year to get a knife direct it somehow feels better to me than paying twice the price for immediate satisfatcion.

You don't want to get me started as I have a whole hour and a haft knife collecting seminar that I do on
this stuff. I can bore you to tears. :yawn: :)

I would love to attend such a seminar, Kevin. Maybe one of these days you can give me the Reader's Digest version while I ply you with beers and/or steak at some nice watering hole.

I began collecting custom knives in 1986. I saw an article in a magazine that talked about Bob Terzuola and had a picture of one of his knives. I'm sure most folks had not even heard of him or custom knives back then..even the internet did not exist, so I had to correspond initially by regular old mail, if you can imagine that. When I got that knife, I got the bug and it has stuck with me since then. Some 26 years later and still going, I have established a personal criteria for buying custom blades and they are as follows:

1) Decide on a style of knife that you like, initially (this will change with time but it's good to have focus initially). Tactical knives were ALL the rage a decade ago, I succumbed as well. Black micarta handles and bead blasted blades in kydex sheaths were the way to go!! I have more or less fluctated from bowies to hunters with an ocassional tactical thrown in over the years but I wish I had focused early on to have a more consistent collection.

2) Study the grinds on the blades of the maker. The internet probably has many photos of a makers work that you are interested in or you can see them at knife shows. A sloppy grind line is indicative of a non "polished" artist. it has been my experience that uneven grinds usually means the fit and finish are not up to par either. The grind is the first thing I look for when looking at a maker. I would never buy a brand new car with a dented hood from the factory and not expect there be problems in other areas as well.

3) Communication with the maker. I've had several experiences where I was forgotten about after placing an order with a maker that had an extended wait. I don't mind waiting, if the maker is up front about it. Knifemakers are artists and craftsmen and particularly susceptible to injury that can completely hinder their work. As collectors we need to understand this and respect it. However, failing to respond to emails or phone calls long after the anticipated completion date is not cool. This tends to be the exception rather than the rule but if your initial contacts with the maker take weeks for replies, I would think twice before expecting an on time delivery of a knife.

4) Don't let the price of a knife be the sole reason for purchasing one. I've bought custom knives for less than $200 that are razor sharp and show a great deal of craftsmanship. I've also bought an $800 dollar knife that could not cut butter and had a smeared makers logo etched in. Refer to rule # 2 and try to guage grinds vs price.

5) Think of a great cover story to tell your wife/husband or significant other as to why you are buying yet another knife...and when you figure out a good one that actually works...tell me as I'm running out of them.

Bpman

If you have to resale a knife at an apparent loss, just remember that the pleasure of owning a collection or using good knives has a value, so is it really a loss?

If the pleasure of owning, collecting, and using isn't worth the possible monetary loss, get another hobby.

And finally remember my number one rule of participation in this, or any other, forum: When you start to take it too seriously, when it stops being fun and starts being a source of vexation, quit.

All great advice folks........

Here is one for the Internet enthusiasts.

No matter how good a photo is, it cannot reveal the true quality and subtlety of the knife. This can lead to huge disappointment.
Paying more for a well known maker who's work is tried and tested is worth it when buying from a photo.

Here are my five points, some (maybe all) of which seem obvious . . . but still might bear saying explicitly.

1) Know what you are doing.

I don't mean learning the details of the marketplace, like Les discussed (although that can be important, too). I mean know what you are doing when you purchase a knife. Why are you doing this? Are you collecting for pleasure / as a hobby? Or are you really hoping to turn a profit? Because there are a lot of knives I would never have purchased if I was hoping to turn a profit on them. I bought them because they appealed to my asthetic tastes and furthered what I hope to achieve with my collection. What kind of collection are you trying to build? Do you want to collect a particular maker or groups of makers? Do you want to collect knives of a particular style, or made a particular way, or having certain design features, or having certain handle materials, etc.? Do "art knives" appeal to you? Or are you more interested in knives with strong performance characteristics pertaining to the heat treatment, the metallurgy, the grind, etc.? Are you interested in true one-of-a-kind knives, or are you more interested in classic or even iconic knives that have been produced in quantities by certain makers (e.g., Loveless Big Bear; Fisk Sendero; Moran ST-24, etc.)? When your collection is mature, what do you want it to look like? To me, EVERYTHING flows from this - from knowing what I am doing and why I am doing it.

2) Ask yourself how each piece you are considering purchasing compares to similar pieces you could obtain elsewhere.

Is there something about this particular piece that appeals to you? What is it? Are there other alternatives that provide the same appeal which you might consider as alternatives? When you set this piece alongside the other knives in your collection, and you look at them all, will this knive make sense to you? This relates to Kevin's point above about not buying a knife on impulse.

3) Don't ignore any commercial channels for obtaining knives.

I have purchased knives directly from makers, I have purchased knives from other collectors, I have purchased knives from purveyors, I have purchased knives at auctions, I have purchased knives from eBay (yes, I have), and I have purchased knives from listings at websites like Blade Forums and CKCA. I cannot say that any one way to purchase knives is always the best or offers the best value or satisfaction. However, your answer to the question in point (1) above may restrict the channels available to you, for example you may want to do something so unique that the only practical way to further your collection is through direct orders with the makers to produce the unique knives you seek to collect.

4) Don't spend your mortgage or retirement money on knives.

I said that these points seem obvious. But I have seen too many posts over the years with folks "needing" to sell their knives to pay bills, or who had to dig out of debt after spending too much money on knives. I suspect that in most cases these folks do NOT get as much money for these knives as they paid for them, and this is sad. Unless you are collecting knives as a business venture (and is that reallly "collecting"?), then this is a SPARE activity that IMO should be done with SPARE money that does not threaten your fulfilling your responsibilities to your family, your other creditors, etc. Of course things happen that no one could have reasonably foreseen that can change things for you. But IMO, you should really try to foresee what can be reasonably foreseen and act accordingly.

5) For my first few years of collecting I took a solitary approach, however really started to enjoy the experience much more after I started interacting with other custom knife enthusiasts through forums, joining organizations and such.

Yes, I plagiarized that from Kevin. But I could not say it any better . . . so I stole it (with attribution, of course). :D

As a maker who also collects knives,this is what I do.I buy(or barter for}knives by maker's who's work I admire.I buy what I like,and what I can afford,simply because I like them.I usually obtain knives to keep, not as an investment,but it's nice to know if I need to sell them for whatever reason,that I could,because the knife/maker would be a sought after collectible,in most cases.
I know this isn't five, but thats all I have for now:D

there is already some really excellent advice and information here!
Thanks for all the contributions so far, looking forward to more!

Back