The top multitool

sputnik said:
I carry a Swisstool and Swiss Champion Plus. The Sog Powerlock is also excellent, imho. The knife blade being its only drawback to me. Try to find a shop that has a good variety of tools and try them out for "feel" if nothing else. The answer to which is the best multitool is as varied as "Who makes the best beer?" ,etc. Find one or two that work for you.
I agree..which multitool works best for hunting is not the best choice for electrical work and so one...I like the SOG for all around everyday use...the LM Wave is a bit slimmer and more danty than the SOG, so it "fits" into tighter quarters but does not have the "muscle" of a SOG. The Bear Sportsman is a bit smaller than the Wave so packs a bit easier...you almost have to fit the tool to your expected tasks and adjust which multi-tool you carry...I could haul a Backhoe around with a Ford/Chevy/Dodge 1/2 ton pickup, but a 1 Ton diesel equipped pickup is better suited to that application. These are generalizations...and besides, why have just one multitool...

I've got a LM Crunch on my left hip, LM Juice s2 in my front/left pocket, and a LM PST in my bag.

sputnik said:
I carry a Swisstool and Swiss Champion Plus. The Sog Powerlock is also excellent, imho. The knife blade being its only drawback to me. Try to find a shop that has a good variety of tools and try them out for "feel" if nothing else. The answer to which is the best multitool is as varied as "Who makes the best beer?" ,etc. Find one or two that work for you.

Hi sputnik , im not looking to purchase another multitool ( i already have a swisstool ,charge ti and supertool 200 ) just to try and find out what is the most carried and what problems people are having with any of them and just general feedback .

I carry a Charge Ti as my EDC, Usually on a Belt but sometimes I use the clip that came with it and just carry the tool. I am in the Army and if I am in the Winter Field Uniform here at Fort Drum I carry a Supertool 200 on my FLC in the 100 round SAW pouch. I am looking to replace the Supertool with the new Core and or the Surge. I plan to buy both as soon as they come out.

I just got a LM Crunch, got to say the best tool for me I've ever owned. I also have a LM PST I bought in 93' or 94' it has served me well and should be on its way back to LM for a refurbishing soon. I bought a blunt nose 600 Gerber, nice but not my cup of tea, it stays in the truck, just in case. A man can't have enough MT so a Vic or SOG will be purchased soon I think.

I have several LM products, Micra, Squirt, Pulse, Juice, Wave and Supertool, as well the Gerber 600 and 800.

The Victorinox Swisstool blows them all away. It has the highest level of fit and finish, is the sturdiest after being used for many home repairs, has the best knife blades and saw by far.

However, the file is not as good as on the LM's, and I wish the tools were heat treated harder. It is also heavy.

Still, the Swisstool is the best tool I have used.

I carry a SOG powerlock and victorinox swisschamp.
My favorite one is without a doubt the SOG Powerlock, It gets the most use but I will sometimes use the swisschamp for cutting chores
(Even though I prefer to use my little 14 in. SOG Tigershark ;))

Also I might consider buying the plain and serrated edge for my SOG to overcome the problems with the combo edge.

If we were to vote for the best all around multi-purpose multi-tool my vote would go to the SOG. (just my opinion):)

I have an original LM Supertool and Swiss Tool X.

I have some questions about SOG Multi Tools...

The Paratool seems like an interesting design. But how does it hold up during use? Is there a way to lock the plier head into place so that it doesnt fold back during use?

Also, what other multi tools out there have unique opening methods?

Since a Leatherman Supertool/Micra combo has worked so well for me over the years I haven't even considered looking at alternatives until finally this week getting around to trying out an ST 200. It was okay, but I prefer the original. It fits and feels better in my hand and I like the simplicity of how the tools and blades unlock ( I haven't cut myself yet). The 200 unlocking levers dig into my hand and the extra width of the tool is less comfortable for me. I could get used to it, if I had to, but my current ST has miles to go before needing replacement.

The Micra is a different matter. I keep giving them away as gifts, so the one I have on me is maybe the 12th since they first came out. I stock up on several at a time whenever they go on sale and think all my friends should have one. That means I don't have an individual sample long enough to wear it out and never have to sharpen the blade :D . OTOH, recently I examined a Squirt S4, liked it a lot and will probably buy one (only).

I currently carry a SAK (Sportsman II) and Leatherman Juice S2 - this fits all my needs. I used to carry a SAK Cybertool and SwissTool, but this was too much additonal weight any my needs are not heavy duty (IT guy).

If Victorinox made a tool comparable to the Juice then I would swap it for that in a heartbeat - I feel SAK's are of a much higher quality than a Leatherman.

I am intrigued by the SwissTool Spirit but I have yet to see one in a shop where I can first check it out before buying.

On my belt I typically carry an old style Leatherman Wave and a Buck 110 Folding Hunter. I don't see the purpose in being Sheeple friendly...if they would only get treatment for having a knife/inanimate object phobia, then there wouldn't be Sheeple to begin with. :)

GeoThorn

geothorn said:
On my belt I typically carry an old style Leatherman Wave and a Buck 110 Folding Hunter. I don't see the purpose in being Sheeple friendly...if they would only get treatment for having a knife/inanimate object phobia, then there wouldn't be Sheeple to begin with. :)

GeoThorn

I, too, have no problem with knife on belt under any dress code circumstances not prohibited by law. If my bearing doesn't convince those around me that I am no thug (actually, I am quite civilized), they can fantasize all they want, I don't care. But I have another view on those who are edgy . ;) about knives and would hesitate to dismiss them as Sheeple.

Several years ago I was at a social event where a lady at the buffet was looking for something to cut a food item. A guy at the table helpfully opened his Benchmade and offered it to her, but she would have none of it, looking elsewhere rather than touch that wicked-looking "weapon." The hoodlum in question was an elderly retired professor who was blind in one eye and could only walk with the aid of a contraption.

My first thought was probably similar to what yours might have been had you observed that situation, but then I remembered the lady involved was the mother of 5 children. To put up with that many pregnancies and the rest is not for sissies and no way could I think of her as a timid. If she has a thing about knives, well then, she is anyway entitled not be dismissed as Sheeple.

I don't know why some people are apprehensive about openly carried knives in a non-hostile environment, so I don't guess about it. Who knows what grit they demonstrate in other aspects of their lives. So, live and let live.

I agree, live and let live. If she wants to look around to find a knife at the buffet then that is certainly her right. The older gentleman that offered her his knife was nice to do so, and it may even have been cleaner than the knives available at the buffet, if any were to be found. Maybe a piece of pocket lint fell out of his knife's liner/lock area and it disgusted her too much to use it?

I'm just saying that if people have occasion to simply freak out when they happen to witness a knife being used as a tool, either to cut meat or to open those !@#$%^ clamshell/trap packages, then they need to seek psychiatric treatment. I could understand their freaking out if Freddie was waving "come closer" to them with his five-bladed gloves, but when someone's cutting a bale of hay open? That's purely ridiculous.

Thank goodness that people are anesthetized during surgical procedures. :)

GeoThorn

I've had the gerber scout, the original leatherman, the SOG powerplier and pocket power plier, and the swisstool X. I've settled quite happily on the Swisstool X. It's heavy duty, sports a quality of finish that is unmatched by other models, and the bit driver from my gerber fits the philips driver on the swisstool. I carry the toolkit from the gerber and the swisstool in the gerber's pouch.

Back