The Traditional Knife of 2016

Jack Black

Seize the Lambsfoot! Seize the Day!
Platinum Member
I’ve posted a similar thread to this at the end of the past couple of years. What I’m asking for is for you to pick the knife that has made the biggest impression on you during 2016, not one you want, but one you have, and not necessarily the fanciest or most expensive, but the one which meant the most, which maybe took you by surprise. For most of us here, this is probably going to be a hard choice, and you can post about as many knives as you like, but in the end, you must make a decision. This thread is called ‘The Knife of 2016’ – Your knife of 2016 – not KNIVES. So let’s see what you got :thumbup:

Early in 2016, I was bowled over by one of Charlie C’s great SFO’s, a fascinating knife, and one of the most beautiful GEC have produced in my opinion.

Charlie also kindly gifted me one of his Lick Creek Barlows later in the year, and that one is also worth a mention here I think :)

The Lambsfoot has long been a real favourite with me, and I have many examples I treasure. This Arthur Wright in buffalo came at me out of the blue, and has dominated my pocket for much of the year.

Another lovely Lambsfoot was this one gifted to me by Bonzodog, another Arthur Wright :)

After a long wait, I finally got hold of, not one, but two Stan Shaw knives this year, a Sheepsfoot and a Lambsfoot, of which I prefer the former. Two special knives from a great old Sheffield cutler who has become a friend, and certainly ones I will always cherish.

I’ve found too many lovely old Sheffield knives to mention this year, despite not really going out searching for them as often as I have in the past. I came across one, which I almost didn’t buy, because it didn’t carry a maker’s stamp, an English Jack in stag. Most of you know that I did in fact buy it, and christened it my Abbeydale Jack after the area of Sheffield in which I picked it up :D

Like my Arthur Wright Lambsfoot in ‘Special Buffalo’, I’ve carried the Abbeydale Jack a great deal, and I’m continually amazed that what, to me, is such a perfectly made knife, has nobody’s name on it. The stag is wonderful on both sides, and it’s just a great knife in my opinion. This has in many ways been ‘The Year of the Lambsfoot’ for me! :D I love the blade more and more the older I get, but much as I admire my Special Buffalo, I have to admit that it’s the blade, rather than the knife, which I really love, beautiful though I think the covers are. I’ve ummed and ahhhed about the matter quite a bit, but in the end, I think I have to declare my Abbeydale Jack my Knife of 2016. Whether or not I’ll carry it as much next year as I have this one, I don’t know, but I think it’ll always have a strong place in my collection, and as a knife I enjoy carrying and using :) :thumbup:

Last edited:
Believe it or not I was just thinking about your end of the year thread this morning! It happened when I was putting my 77 barlow and Case peanut, two knives that have made quite an impression, into my pocket. I'll have to give this thread some good thought. I don't want to jump the gun, but a couple knives immediately come to mind.
I really look forward to hearing everyone else's take on their knife of 2016.
And that Abbeydae Jack is stunning!

Thanks Erik, and that sounds like a happy coincidence :) With the way my internet connection has been recently, I thought I better get this thread up while I could! ;) :thumbup:

That's an easy one. I'm a scout knife collector, and the GEC Texas Camp Knife absolutely rocked my world. While the Nothfield versions were quite wonderful, it was Charlie's burnt orange jigged bone that stole the show for me. Everything about this knife is wonderful. Impressive swedges. Beautiful scales. An amazing shield. Perfect fit. Great finish. 4 half stops, and tons of tang stamps. A tasteful blade etch. Nicely shaped and threaded bolsters. A huge achievement for GEC. It's the most impressive scout knife I've ever had the pleasure of handling.

0p7r3tph.jpg

IEfrNVgh.jpg

Cool post Buzz, your Texas Camp knife looks better and better as it begins to age and take on its own character :) :thumbup:

I have two knives acquired in 2016 that are in the running, both of which I just got within the last six weeks. I am a big fan of stockmen of all varieties, but especially the 3¾ - 3⅞ inch sowbelly stockman. Back in October I finally found a minty Case midnight bone still in the original box at a very modest price. Beautiful silver script "shield" makes this one special for me, a 2003 manufactured knife.

b275f84f-7e23-4cd8-9271-e779b6405b08_zpsfmuyvvdl.jpg~original

But I think the one that means the most is a very unusual pattern from Fight'n Rooster Celebrated Cutlery Co. in Solingen, Germany. Called a Hawbaker by the seller, it is actually a 4" serpentine jack with muskrat clip and Wharncliffe blades. Not quite a Wharncliffe trapper, as both ends are the same size, but every bit as useful. Plus it has beautifully matched, unburnt stag covers, lots of bling (a good thing!), and German quality throughout. My winner of 2016.

3bfdfd3f-866b-45ae-b564-e25aca765d91_zpshmshksjm.jpg~original

da6fd53b-8581-42c8-9a36-938245a080b5_zpsadxcdrek.jpg~original

I only bought one knife in 2016 so it's easy to answer this. NF Barlow #77 Sawcut Copperhead Bone, single clip blade. I don't have a picture of it. It looks about like all the others that have been posted.

Great thread again, Jack.

2016 started out with me getting my grail knife - A Copperhead Sawcut Bone PPP TC Barlow. As a collector, this one rings all my bells (and it is my Avatar), but it is not The Knife...because I don't carry it! :rolleyes:

Six months ago, I would have said The Knife for 2016 would be this Ebony Presidential. In the winter and the spring, it was in my pocket every day, but not all year. A great knife and a serious contender.

The one knife that knocked my socks off this year was this Schrade Cut. Co. Barlow. Not only is it beautiful, but it is also one heck of a user!

I've learned that a knife must be a user to be "The Knife." I must be able to bond with it visually, in the hand and in the heart. Obviously, this Schrade fits the bill. But I don't carry it all the time.

Recently, I noticed I have a lot of spear points. I must like them. :)

The knife that fits the bill and in 2016 was in my pocket a lot and the one I've realized I just like having with me for all the right reasons - is this TC Barlow. It makes me smile; it is The One.

There is not a single nano second of thought when it comes to my Knife of 2016. I've carried this knife very nearly every single day for the last 6 months, and it was purchased one day before my daughter was born. It is a Case Pocket Worn Bermuda Green Peanut, and it is a knife that will be treasured, and hopefully, it will one day be her's to call her own.

dKBXDtS.jpg

DDjQNpy.jpg

Either the forum knife, for which I put alot of time and effort into persuading others they wanted what I did :D, or my Queen #h49 horseman's stockman. I won't know for sure until I get the Queen back from regrinding. ;) I will edit or repost then.
Thanks, Neal

Jack, I'm glad to see this thread, as I thoroughly enjoyed your thread last year (my first year here on the porch, my interest in traditional knives having accelerated greatly around the summer of 2015), so I can't wait to read all the entries in this year's thread.

There are a few that stand out to me as favorites for this year, including some that you have listed in your post. Charlie's Rope Knife is one that I really fell in love with (I ended up with one each of the three covers), although for some reason I don't carry it as often as I should. No denying it's a beautiful knife - stunning jigging, the unique bolster and bail, and a great blade shape that was entirely new for me.

7753C5D0-29D3-4223-9D31-6DB6ABA3CBEA.jpg

I also recently picked up my first Sheffield made knife, an A. Wright Lambsfoot in glossy, black buffalo, thanks pretty much entirely to your Guardians thread, and I've really been impressed with it.

D5016611-306E-4AF1-B4C4-8E07579354CC.jpg

This one caught me by surprise, as I really didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Incredible slicer, and it's seen a lot of pocket time because of that.

03975538-7913-4D51-8522-5461CFACA7F2.jpg

I was also really impressed with these #14's, both the Lick Creek Barlows and the Boy's Knives. These two, in Ebony and Antique Yellow, have been with me frequently.

5CE1D2BD-3E39-4876-BB70-E4A3D7BBC87A.jpg

62585B25-B93C-4A4A-A4C7-0F05F50773CD.jpg

I obtained my first couple USA-made Schrades this year, and I wish that I had discovered these back when they were still being produced. Even on the secondary market, what an incredible value for a quality pocket knife!

03142986-8985-44E7-ABEC-1DEFE17F14CA.jpg

I'm tempted to give the title to the recent run of #15 Crown Lifters, particularly this one in Ebony. I haven't had it long, but I can tell it's going to be a favorite for years to come.

2DA518A8-C017-4846-8554-EDF625CA9343.jpg

But... there can only be one "Knife of 2016," and for me, it was this spearpoint #25. I got a few of these stout little knives around the end of last year and completely fell in love with the WLSTs. While I've carried a few different #25's on a regular basis this year, this Stag takes the cake! :D

D83986FE-225E-4309-A415-2C3EEA380CFB.jpg

(Sorry, that's a lot of knives for a question that should really be answered with one. :rolleyes: To tell the truth, I actually edited a few out before posting! :D)

Last edited:
I'm tempted to say the 2016 Forum Knife is the Knife of 2016 because it's a recent acquisition that I've been carrying quite a lot since I got it. (I find the awl very useful) Plus, it's practically in the name. :D There are also a number of wonderful old knives I've been lucky enough to find this year, including a 100 year old Terrier bareheaded Jack. (my favorite pattern)

But I have to say that my knife of 2016 is the GEC #18 Coyote. In the past I've shied away from single bladed knives, since one of the big advantages of a traditional pocket knife (in my opinion) is to have a variety of blades in one package. I want both a curved edge and a straight edge. After getting this little pocket scalpel, it's freed me up to carry knives that have no straight edge blade since I can just throw the Coyote in my pocket as well. It's so light and hardly takes up any room. :D

Although I carry a rotation of different knives from day to day, I've carried a Coyote almost daily as a secondary blade.

Last edited:
Cool thread, guys!

The knife for me would be the Texas Camp Knife and it's brother the OKC Beaver -

DSC_5859.JPG

IMG_20160619_142308418_HDR.jpg

And of course the 2016 BF knife!

DSC_6382.JPG

best

mqqn

Great topic Jack. This is an easy one for me. In May of 2016, at the Wilmington, Ohio knife show, I picked this one up just because, well, it just captured my fancy:

After carrying it a few times, a magnificent obsession was born. One WWLF (Wonderful Weird Little Fatty) led to another and well, the acquisition disorder continues:

The latest edition:

And so it goes....

Number one for me would be the imperial Barlow that r8shell sent me as its the first slipjoint that I really carried and edc'd as my primary folder, and it got me into traditionals. As soon as 2017 arrives it's gonna be the very first weekly knife of the year.

Number two would be my vic recruit as I'm really liking it a lot more than I thought i would a stainless Steel blade, and it's really proving itself as an excellent edc with some good supplementary tools to my leatherman and other edc gear.

I've carried these 3 all of this year, the two below were bought this year. Of them the Coyote in Oily Creek Bone is my knife of the year. My suit knife. Small, beautiful, wonderful. Just a great pocket knife.

trio_2.jpg

Wow! I am knocked out by all the great posts :) :thumbup:

Jeff - Your Hawbaker is an interesting knife, and a great looker my friend :thumbup:

I only bought one knife in 2016 so it's easy to answer this. NF Barlow #77 Sawcut Copperhead Bone, single clip blade. I don't have a picture of it. It looks about like all the others that have been posted.

LOL! Very good John :D :thumbup:

Dean - Just a great post, stunning knives my friend, looks like you had a good year :) :thumbup:

Shawn - Awwww :) :)

Barrett - Wow! What an amazing line-up, and a wonderful WLST crowned :) :thumbup:

r8shell - Great stuff r8shell, I know your contender, what a beautiful old Jack :) :thumbup:

Ken - The 'WWLF' certainly seems to have captured your heart :D Nice collection :) :thumbup:

Thanks again everyone, really enjoying seeing your traditional knives of 2016 :thumbup:

Always nice to review the year's haul and mull things over:cool:

I should start getting pedantic and record my comings and goings of knives over the year...but, there's enough bureaucracy and counting in life without intruding on spare-time.. :D

The Forum Knife of 15 arrived in January and thanks to Barry for selling me a remarkable example, both sides have fantastic whorls and vortex. I got the Rope Knife, beautifully made but I just don't carry it, might be the ornate but large bail, fine knife mind. Early on in the year I was very fortunate to get a decent example of an Ettrick by the late Trevor Ablett. Two French knives arrived from artisan Renaud Aubry a Navette and a Shadow Laguiole. I was very lucky to be able to get hold of 2 Farmer's Jacks on the Exchange a Camel Bone and Lick Creek Ivory Bone-fantastic pattern and useful, I use the Camel but stow the Ivory. Also from the Exchange a decent 83 lock back arrived in Purple Sage bone AND a present of a Wostenholme Sleeveboard
. I bought a GEC Coyote 18 and a 14 single blade but don't really connect with them, too skimpy for my taste, fine made knives nevertheless .In fact, this year GEC didn't release any pattern I was really enthusiastic about. I did get a very good stainless 15 Boy's Knife, but it's not a new pattern, a fine re-run. Presents included a nice small faux Tortoise from JP, a Trapper from Randy and a great user from Paul in the form of a GEC White Owl, presents are always great! A Small Stockman from CASE had significant issues but the seller sent me a replacement though it got held up in Chicago mysteriously for a month, the replacement is very good though. A Portuguese Traditional in horn and stainless arrived from Lombardo do ferreiro, a Cuchila by CIOL, inexpensive and decent enough quality, well worth a look and thanks to Donn for tipping me off. Very recently I got a fantastic Moki Fishowl lock back, it looks a bit austere and is lintless G-10, that's the appeal, but NO other manufacturer has such high quality in lock backs, their build is leagues ahead of everybody else, deeply impressive Japanese knife-no wonder they make knives for Fällkniven. Yesterday I was lucky enough to get a really good example of a Wright Lambfoot, it's a strong contender alright.

But my K.O.Y. goes to an Ebony Spear blade Talon from GEC. I asked Ken K about this with the idea of a trade or buying and he with stunning generosity sent me the knife as a present from Canada. Not only is it a beautiful knife that I've been after for some time, it is a fine user and above all else a token of altruism and kindness that's extraordinary.

Pictures of some of these to follow later, P-Bucket is playing up AGAIN.. Also, I wish I knew/new...how to turn off this tiresome imbecile auto-correct on the Macbook, makes twice the work:(

Thanks to all, Will

IMG_3771.jpg

IMG_3854.jpg

IMG_4046.jpg

IMG_4129.jpg

IMG_4021.jpg

IMG_4005.jpg

IMG_4273.jpg

And here it is my Knife of 2016 (so far....3 weeks left:D ) GEC Talon courtesy of Ken K. Thanks so much:cool:

IMG_4193.jpg

Last edited:
Knife of 2016....? Without doubt, I never realised until this year just how much I like the Lanny Clip.

Up to 5~6years ago, I'd never give them a second glance, just didn't 'get it' with LC's.

Then I bought this s/hand...

IMG_7744.jpg

....what a glorious pocket knife :D

Now, have another on the way from Bret, and these...

P1050531.jpg

So, thank you, once again, Mr Bose, for a stunning design - top drawer and icon :thumbup:

Back